It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Marble" & "The Root". Curiosity Sol 746.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Two anomalies in one image. After eleven days, today, Malin Space Center/NASA/JPL release this image of Curiosity taken Sol 746.
A perfect sphere like a marble and a petrified excrescence like a root (or bone) that comes out of the ground. The NASA/JPL team , of course, did not consider it appropriate to stop Rover and analyze these anomalies. I do not know what they are but their shape deserves a thorough investigation to find out what they are, how they were formed and whether there is organic matter within...

The Marble

The Root

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Arken

Jeep3r gave us the round rock an hour ago, on the great, the stupendous, the rip roaring "whatdat?" Mars anomaly thread. Nice roundness to that object. Here's Jeep's post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The other picture seems to me to be just a non-round rock, sticking out of the ground a bit (hundreds of thousands of years of wind, water, and dust can do that, lift an object up an inch and a half or so).

American Indians used to make round marbles out of stone. Not a bad profession.

edit on 23-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Looks like someone left behind a "shovel" and a "cannonball" ...
What a strange combination, S&F!

edit on 23-9-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

American Indians used to make round marbles out of stone. Not a bad profession.

So, the Martians resident....

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Very cool find(s).

The root is just a root.

The round stone is much more interesting.

Is it a toy, a tool, a decoration, or something else?

Thanks for sharing.

(My opinion is we are from Mars. We came to this planet after we destroyed Mars. Well we didn't but our martian ancestors.)

Sure I'm viewed as being crazy but....

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jeep3r

Looks like someone left behind a "shovel" and a "canonball" ...
What a strange combination, S&F!

We can call this "simultaneity".

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arken

The NASA/JPL team, of course, did not consider it appropriate to stop Rover and analyze these anomalies.

Or did they? Perhaps they've got more images on their own servers than in the public archives? Well, I know that 'officially' they don't. The downlink supposedly puts everything directly on the NASA/JPL pages ... but who can tell for sure?

Since this is the highly-speculative forum, I will indeed speculate and say that the geologists on the team may be just as intrigued by some of the countless anomalous shapes as we are. Is it really completely inconceivable that they might have some additional images? Hmmmmmm ....

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jeep3r
"officially"...
Exactly.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
A root?
I think that it looks like someone stuck a fork in the sand after the picnic and the handle is slowly eroded away.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Shadow cast from the "root" looks more broad then the angle of the picture taken. Which would lead me to believe it's just a flat rock at a conspicuous angle

As for the marble. We know there was water on Mars. I don't suppose it's unfathomable to think it could have rolled w the flow and been worn down like this

Round rocks due to glacial movement or water aren't unheard of

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Interesting shapes for sure! NIce!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I took a look on that marble in the original Nasa image through that link. AND, have to admit, that marble really looks out of place.
One would expect a bit more similar size rubble around it, which might've created the marble. But this one stands on this pedal with much of nothing around.

How did it end up there in the first place? Could this marble be light volcanic material, so that wind can blow it around? Or was it created by water/ice? Or did someone place it there for poking fun on us, not seeing the obvious.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

One would expect a bit more similar size rubble around it, which might've created the marble. But this one stands on this pedal with much of nothing around.

Exactly.
"The marble" is out of place.

The rover Opportunity has already discovered fields of the tiny blue marbles.

But this one is "alone", is quite big and without other levigate stones/rocks around it.

It worth a deeper analysis....

How did it end up there in the first place? Could this marble be light volcanic material, so that wind can blow it around? Or was it created by water/ice? Or did someone place it there for poking fun on us, not seeing the obvious.

It's bizarre that this kind of "curiosity" don't comes by The NASA/JPL Team...

edit on 24-9-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

The "root" has some strange characteristics like she shadow not matching the shape of the "handle". but that can me a few different things..... but what I first noticed was it looks more like some sort of cloth to me because it almost looks woven. look at it closely.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

lol love the Command and Conquer screenshot... I have seen a few of thos here.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: I1Am1Ready1Are1You

Dats 5th element

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

lol i guess it is.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Interesting find to be sure. I enjoy studying images like these, and one thing I've noticed in many of what are claimed to be anomalous images is the similarity between the surrounding landscape and the anomaly in question, meaning that it often appears that the geology itself is responsible. Of course if you had a barren desert, and in the midst of all this sand there sat a lone, out of place and strange-looking object, this carries more weight than something like the "root" in the above image. Obviously Mars had liquid water at some point in its history, and because of this fact we see many features that have suffered massive erosion, like in the above images.

Whenever you have a lot of rock and a lot of running water, you will end up with a wide variety of shapes and sizes. The root seems to me to be easily explainable as a layer of rock that is sticking up from the ground. It is much wider at the bottom than at the top, and is not uniform, and is likely quite natural. As for the ball, this is nothing extraordinary either, considering that such spheres are produced by erosion. I have found multiple of about the same size in a creek in my pasture. I have never seen one made out of a sedimentary rock, but I am not a good judge of rocks, lol. The ones I have found appeared much harder. I found one a few months back that was pinkish red, almost like granite, but it was not granite. I found it in a hole 30 feet deep, where I also found a sphere of similar size that was solid white, maybe some type of quartz or other mineral.

The only thing potentially odd about the sphere on Mars is that it is lying on the ground, but like I mentioned, the landscape shows erosion. I am willing to bet that the sometimes fierce winds on Mars serves to cause wind erosion, but more importantly to uncover previously covered material. Most Martian features will remain buried, but we should expect to see stuff like this on the surface occasionally. Now with all that said, this could be an alien's toy for all I know, but since we know such things can be produced naturally, it is much safer to assume it is natural. I would be willing to bet that the sphere is not perfect by any means, as it is much less likely to get a perfect sphere by erosion, as it is more common to approach perfection while maintaining some slight deficiencies. Some rocks will have a rounded side, some will have a bit more of its surface rounded, all the way up to a perfect sphere. You will find many more rocks in the lower categories, thus it is more likely this is not a perfect sphere.

I will say there are certain features on Mars that highly intrigue me, and that I am not fully convinced are natural, although they very well could be, but these particular anomalies seem natural in my opinion. However, I encourage you to keep up your search, as if no one was looking we are guaranteed to not discover any real anomalies. I doubt NASA would point them out to us if they truly were alien in origin for instance, lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

The other picture seems to me to be just a non-round rock, sticking out of the ground a bit (hundreds of thousands of years of wind, water, and dust can do that, lift an object up an inch and a half or so).

No, millions and millions of years.

All the "so called" evidence presented on this site are all natural occurring freaks of nature, nothing more. Eroded rocks and tricks of light.

OMG, think about it instead of clinging to some fantasy. Millions of years would erase everything from any civilisation. There would be no marbles just sitting there on the ground, no tree root would last in the open for a millennia, let alone a few million years.

If any of these artefacts were actually real (which they aren't), they would not signify an ancient civilisation on MArs, "all record of that would be erased by time".

However, that is not to say that someone has been on Mars in recent times (perhaps an alien mining operation) would be more likely than a multi-million year old civilisation.
edit on 25-9-2014 by Ironclad2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
They are probably playing cricket. For me is not a root. It looks like a shovel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join