It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Prayer Life Acceptable to God?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: TzarChasm

Nah... I don't post to prove anything to anyone...

IF one doesn't believe prayer works... that's fine with me...

In any case its supposed to be done in private, and not advertised like most do...

and then afterwards someone says 'i prayed for you' and the person is like 'omg thats why everything worked out'. except according to the study, evidence suggests otherwise. so even if you dont post to prove, i just did.

George Carlin stated in one of his stand ups that his God is Joe Pesci and he prays to him on a regular basis. Now that George has passed on Joe Pesci must be lonely.

sir carlin was making a point, as im sure you must already know. if i were to pray to a jug of spoiled milk i would likely get the same results that he got from mr pesci and you get from your deity.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

In any case its supposed to be done in private, and not advertised like most do...

and then afterwards someone says 'i prayed for you' and the person is like 'omg thats why everything worked out'. except according to the study, evidence suggests otherwise. so even if you dont post to prove, i just did.

George Carlin stated in one of his stand ups that his God is Joe Pesci and he prays to him on a regular basis. Now that George has passed on Joe Pesci must be lonely.

sir carlin was making a point, as im sure you must already know. if i were to pray to a jug of spoiled milk i would likely get the same results that he got from mr pesci and you get from your deity.

I am very aware of George Carlin's religious beliefs. I have all of his works on DVD and in most of his stand ups he preaches ..... yep... preaches ...... an atheist who is trying to force upon his audience that there is no such thing as God. So now he is sitting with like minded people like Christopher Hitchens both of them scratching their heads and wondering where did they go wrong.

BTW you said sir Carlin? Did he receive an award form the German queen of England?
edit on 24-9-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

I read both of your replies and you know what?.... I do not believe you are an atheist ( this is to be a compliment) I think you are sitting on the fence and have not made up your mind ..... like many people. Guess what? One day you will except the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. How do I know? God told me .... that is how I know.

Thank you, I'll take that in the manner it was written. However, I am an atheist. I don't believe in a creator god, that sat down and thunk creation into being. Such a god would have to be outside of creation and then could not be in the creation as well. That's where, for me, the logic breaks down.

No - I will not accept the triune - single god regardless of your belief.

OK ........ now once the laughter stops I will try to answer a question or two.

Prayer is communication and God wants to communicate with his children. He does not want a one way line .... him talking and you failing to talk back to him.

Hmmmm. I didn't ask any questions so don't need answers.

Prayer works as a cognitive excercise. It doesn't matter at all what you pray to as long as you have faith. You seem to mix up faith and god. I imagine my prayers as addressed to: 1) those higher beings that bless and guide us and 2) my higher self (freudian super-ego if you will) and I don't KNOW that these two imaginings are not one and the same in fact.

You made a good point about prayer ..... awareness and quiet time and relinquishing control are all important if you want to hear God. This takes practice but it can be mastered.

When I mentioned QUIET - I meant QUIET Mind.

Not all thoughts generated inside your mind come from you. More often then we think..... thoughts are put into our minds from an external source. God....angels....demons.....satan ..... etc. AND we need to weed out the negative thoughts and reject them BUT we have also been warned to test the spirit (meaning the one who gave you that thought) because Lucifer will and can come as an angel of light in an attempt to mislead you which in time he will lead you to death and you die.

This is one way of imaging 'thought' life and it is not the way that I do. I find it helpful to me to take responsibility for my thoughts - good and bad - I reject neither as it sets up resistance which provides power to the very thoughts you would prefer not to have.

I find 'blaming it on the devil' a lazy cop-out to personal practise. # just doesn't pop into your head - it's the manifestation of habitual thought patterns that can be changed over time with awareness (quiet), acceptance and application of new thinking.

god is simply a metaphor for whatever you have faith in. I don't have any faith whatsoever in a creator god, one with questionable ethics and morals as described in holy texts. I have a lot of faith in the un-seen, the super-sensible. Don't know how it all fits together but it does and I'm just fine with that.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
So how come not all prayers are answered? Did Jesus lie? Is there not enough faith from those who pray for miracles? There are many who believe that God has answered their prayers but is God really behind it and not confirmation bias?

You're right, God doesn't answer everyone's prayers...

There are a couple of good reasons that this is so.

Most Christians today are are praying the wrong way because they are more focused on themselves than they are on God's mission.

Prayers that focus on our own passions and selfish desires are best left unanswered.

“As I look at the way the disciples prayed back then and as I look at the way Jesus taught us to pray, I realize it’s a lot different from what I was taught. Prayer to them was really different, they asked for things that were different from what I typically asked for. We have to check ourselves and ask am I concerned about the things of God?”

Is it possible that our prayers go unanswered because we are praying out of a sense of obligation or maybe for the wrong things? Are our prayers supposed to be a list of things we want, or are they really intended to be an ongoing dialogue with God about the things He wants? Maybe if we align our prayers with God's mission, we would see God answer our prayers in supernatural ways that we could never imagine.

James 1 says if we doubt, he's not going to listen to us, James 4 says if we ask with the wrong motives, he's not going to listen to us, first Peter 3 says, if I don't honor my wife, man my prayers are going to be hindered, he says in Isaiah 58 if I don't care for the poor it doesn't even matter if I fast and pray, he's not listening, in Amos I don't even want hear the noise of your songs, you know I'm not going to listen to that... He says if my people would humble themselves, you know and turn from their wicked ways I mean there's conditions, you're absolutely right, he does not listen to every prayer, but he listens to mine...

If one of my kids wants something from me, first they will yell ask from where ever they are in the house. If I don’t respond, they will come looking for me. And if they’ve discovered I’ve locked myself in my bathroom, they will knock on the door. You’ve got to love their persistence. We should have the same sort of zeal when we want something from God.

Ask – receive, Seek – find, Knock – the door will be opened. Now carrying that same child-parent analogy forward, do I give my whiny kid everything he/she asks for? Nope. But I give them something. Sometimes it is a NO. Sometimes a swift kick in the pants. James says when we ask with the wrong motives we don’t get what we want. But Jesus says, “Ask and it will be given to you,” so what is up? I don’t know. This is something I need to ask, seek and knock on this week. Source

The Bible tells us a couple important things about asking.

1. We might ask for things that when we don’t really understand their full impact. Mark 10:35-45

2. We might ask with the wrong motives. James 4:3

3. We might not even ask at all. James 4:2, John 16:24

Why do I want more of God? Do I really understand what I am asking for? What would my life be like if I had a deeper, more intimate, relationship with God?

Am I asking for wrong motives? What is my motivation? Am I asking for more because of some need to get something? Would more of God mean my glory or His?

Whether I understand the consequences of my request or not, whether my motives are selfish or not, at least I’m asking. How sad it is that we wouldn’t have all the best of God simply because we didn’t ask.

Be Careful What You Ask For!

“I thought you could just ask for anything, say anything ... you know He’s like a big genie up there,” Chan said. “But you got to be careful what you say.” When the Crazy Love author was first taught how to pray, people advised him to just say whatever came to his mind.

“And so I did,” he remembered. “I would just start opening my mouth and talk to God about whatever and there’s some truth to that but I noticed in the Bible there are also some warnings that we have to be very careful how we approach God. For example, Ecclesiastes 5 says guard yourselves, guard your steps when you go near to the house of God. And it says draw near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools who do not know that they are doing evil.” Don’t just go and start talking, Chan exhorted. Come silently, come slowly, be careful.

Christians Not Praying How God Intended

In the last fifteen years the Lord has manifested Himself three times to me concerning the importance of people worshipping Him. The third time He did was when I started writing my book on worship. God showed me that the number one covenant was worshipping Him. I asked the Lord what I could do to help people so they can get things from Him easily. (It isn't hard to get God to do things for you.) He said, "Son, take them back to the beginning; put first things first"

But the Lord told me, "Take them back to the beginning and show them in the Scriptures what kind of people I picked and how they treated Jesus when they first saw Him. The Church is supposed to be treating Jesus like that now. That is why it is in there—to teach them to put first things first."

HOW TO BECOME A WISE MAN IN GOD'S EYES

Jesus tells us in Matthew 6:33 to seek FIRST the Kingdom of God, and God's righteousness, and if we do, essentially everything else will eventually fall into it's proper place and priority in our lives.

What IS this "Kingdom of God" that Jesus speaks of? First and foremost, God’s kingdom is the rule and reign of Jesus Christ in our personal lives - the lives of spiritually born again believers. One day, it’s going to be an outwardly visible government and it will be established over the entire earth. Jesus Christ will be fully in charge, and Satan will have no choice in the matter as he currently has been allowed to have.

Seek FIRST The Kingdom Of God" - What Does It REALLY Mean?

One other extremely important fact is that man's definition of "believer" is not the same as God's definition.

Most "Christians" are in fact NOT Christians.

Contrary to what religion says, saying or believing one is a Christian does not MAKE it so.

For 3 examples see: here, here, and here

edit on 24-9-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I am very aware of George Carlin's religious beliefs. I have all of his works on DVD and in most of his stand ups he preaches ..... yep... preaches ...... an atheist who is trying to force upon his audience that there is no such thing as God. So now he is sitting with like minded people like Christopher Hitchens both of them scratching their heads and wondering where did they go wrong.

BTW you said sir Carlin? Did he receive an award form the German queen of England?

preaching? i never got the impression he was preaching. he was describing how he saw things. maybe its upsetting to some people that he actually got paid to share that perspective.

and he never forced anything on any audience. i take this moment to point out that every member of every audience he ever had was more than capable of leaving. you yourself were more than capable of closing the browser window or hitting the eject button for the DVD. did you? no you did not. because he totally completely absolutely forced you and every person who ever watched his shows to be there. every time. right.

i call him sir like i call a lot of people sir. it is a term of respect and deference. for much the same reasons someone is knighted in europe. by the way was there a point in referring to the "german" queen?
edit on 24-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

WOW! Star for you sir!

You moved my spirit and thank you!

You stated that better than I did!

NOW I hope this has touched others hearts as it did mine.

God bless you.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I like George Carlin ... don't get me wrong. He is a funny man but I believe his heart was not in the right place with God and I believe he has caused many people to stumble or question their faith.

by the way was there a point in referring to the "german" queen?

Just kidding around about the queen's background.... which is German. Nothing to be ashamed of.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So how come God has never healed an amputated limb?
Why is the answer to that prayer always no?
edit on 24-9-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
Most "Christians" are in fact NOT Christians.

You'd be hard pressed to find any two Christians who agree on everything about the faith. Each with their own definition of God, and view on what a "true Christian" is. This is exactly why there are countless denominations. So who has it right? My opinion is none of them! And Christians pointing fingers at other Christians is an injustice to the merciful, loving God they believe in. Imo.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Where I live here in Portland, there is a park where an Angelic visitation took place in1920.

This is the most fascinating story about prayer I have ever read...

He could not sleep so he walked in the shadows of the tall trees in Mount Tabor Park. “Through the park is a footpath coming down through the trees that leads out to the street where we live, and in my vision I was seemingly out in the street, at the foot of this footpath, and as I looked up in the park I was attracted by a quite brilliant light far up in the park. It was very slowly coming down the pathway to the street. I stood somewhat surprised, supposing it was some night man on some duty in the park, probably searching for something or somebody. As it approached I discovered that, instead, it was an angel presence, and the brilliance was an illumination surrounding him. He stood a few feet from me, and said to me, "I have come to answer your prayers. Come with me.”

I discerned the heart of the angel was overburdened. In answer to this the angel said, “Human selfishness and human pride have consumed and dissipated the very glory and heavenly power that God once gave from heaven to this movement as you have beheld tonight.”

We were now at the foot of the pathway again. He took a step or two away, and in a sort of despair my heart cried out, “Angel, these are struggling for want of an ideal. What constitutes real Pentecost? What ideal should be held before the minds of men as the will of God exhibited through a movement like this?”

During all this time I had carried my Bible in my hand. Reaching for the Bible, he opened to the Book of Acts, ran his finger down over the second page, that portion where the Spirit of God came down from Heaven. Proceeding through the Book of Acts to its great outstanding revelations and phenomena, he said:

“This is Pentecost as God gave it through the heart of Jesus. Strive for this. Contend for this. Teach the people to pray for this. For this, and this alone, will meet the necessity of the human heart, and this alone will have the power to overcome the forces of darkness.” When the angel was departing he said, “Pray. Pray. Pray. Teach the people to pray. Prayer and prayer alone, much prayer, persistent prayer, is the door of entrance into the heart of God.”

John Lake Angelic Visitation

The words of an angel given in a vision to John G. Lake while he was pastoring in Portland, Ore. In answer to a cry from Lake's heart, the angel took the bible and opened to the book of Acts. He called attention to the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, and then proceeded through the book pointing out the great, outstanding revelations and phenomena in it. Then the angel spoke these words:

"This is Pentecost as God gave it through the heart of Jesus. Strive for this. Contend for this. Teach the people to pray for this. For this, and this alone, will meet the necessity of the human heart, and this alone will have the power to overcome the forces of darkness ."

As the angel was departing, he said: "Pray. Pray. Pray. Teach the people to pray. Prayer and prayer alone, much prayer, persistent prayer, is the door of entrance into the heart of God .

John G. Lake Angelic Visitation

In re-reading John G. Lake's book describing the amazing operation of dunamis in his life, I read the "Portland Vision." He'd moved to Portland and was praying about starting a new work. He walked across the street from his house to Mount Tabor Park. An angel who met him there said, "I have come to answer your prayers...." Much ensued. At the end Lake asked, "What constitutes real Pentecost? What ideal should be held before the minds of men as the will of God exhibited through a movement like this?" Lake reports:

During all this time I had carried my Bible in my hand. Reaching for the Bible he (the angel) opened to the Book of Acts, ran his finger down over the second page, that portion where the Spirit of God came down from heaven. Proceeding through the Book of Acts to its great outstanding revelations and phenomena, he said, "This is Pentecost as God gave it through the heart of Jesus. STRIVE FOR THIS. CONTEND FOR THIS. TEACH THE PEOPLE TO PRAY FOR THIS. For this, and this alone, will meet the necessity of the human heart, and this alone will have the power to overcome the forces of darkness."

When the angel was departing he said, "Pray. Pray. Pray. Teach the people to pray. Prayer and prayer alone, much prayer, persistent prayer, is the door of entrance into the heart of God."

Dunamis Witness to Resurrection

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
So how come God has never healed an amputated limb?
Why is the answer to that prayer always no?

WHO told you that God has never healed an amputated limb and WHY should we believe them?

According to Scripture, Jesus healed an ear that one of His disciples surgically 'removed'.

It happened in Spain in 1640, when a young man's injured leg was amputated. Two and a half years later, his leg was miraculously restored. It's become known as the Miracle of Calanda, and it's perhaps one of the best documented of miracles. The faithful have hard evidence to back it up, and the skeptics have no answer.

As the story spread, it drew in the curious and the official. A few days after the miraculous restoration, a delegation consisting of a priest, a vicar, and the local royal notary came to Calanda to see for themselves and to prepare an official record of the event. They took statements from witnesses and carefully documented Pellicer's story.

Two months later, a trial was opened in Zaragoza where more than 100 people testified that they had known Pellicer with only one leg, whereas now he had two. Ten months later, the archbishop rendered a verdict that the restoration of the leg was canonized as a true miracle. Since that date, skeptics have no longer been able to charge that God does not heal amputees.

The Miracle of Calanda

There are reported cases of amputated limbs being healed (besides the biblical account of the servant’s ear). I remember a story in which Smith Wigglesworth felt led to tell a man with no legs to go buy shoes. When the man put his peg-leg into the first shoe, a leg instantly grew out! The same happened for the second shoe. I also recently heard a testimony of a young man in South Africa who–if I remember correctly–was missing his right leg. After prayer, the leg began to grow, although very slowly. After a couple weeks, a knee cap had formed. When I heard the testimony, it was a few weeks after that, and the leg had grown down as far as the ankle. In another case, I heard of a woman without a jawbone who received prayer in Mexico. When the minister returned the next year, he didn’t recognize her because God had grown a new one for her!

These are admittedly hearsay testimonies that I haven’t personally witnessed, but I believe they’re true. Why shouldn’t I? The only reason to disbelieve such stories is that you don’t believe God can actually do them. If anything, I know that my nephew’s eye grew back to normal, and no one can take that away from me.

If you don’t believe that God can heal an amputated limb, then you’re serving the wrong god.

My God can do anything.

How about yours?

Creative Miracles - Can God Heal a Severed Limb?

J. P. Moreland once told me, when I asked him why God does not heal amputees, a story that is continually in my mind when these kind of things are on the table. He said he once witnessed a guy who was missing an ear (there was just skin where the ear should be) and saw it grow back as people (including Moreland) prayed for him. He said they watched as there was a break in his skin, blood came out, and a slight “ear” formed. What is interesting about this story is that the ear did not grow completely back. When the miracle was over, he just had a hole there, a bit of an ear, and could hear out of it.

J. P. Moreland’s Story About God Healing an Amputee

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Verses that were mentioned in the first few pages of this thread, including my post. The same post you replied to initially. Didn't you read the verses?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Dang, you got me there.

I wonder if perhaps the answer might be in the post I wrote earlier.

Hold that thought, heading out the door for a necessary road trip...

Surely someone else has an answer.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Dang, you got me there.

I wonder if perhaps the answer might be in the post I wrote earlier.

Hold that thought, heading out the door for a necessary road trip...

Surely someone else has an answer.

oh well i guess you must have missed my post then. even intercessory prayers are worthless accept as a therapeutic device.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I like George Carlin ... don't get me wrong. He is a funny man but I believe his heart was not in the right place with God and I believe he has caused many people to stumble or question their faith.

by the way was there a point in referring to the "german" queen?

Just kidding around about the queen's background.... which is German. Nothing to be ashamed of.

you criticize him for daring to ask questions where other people can hear them. if they stumbled or questioned their faith then maybe their faith deserved to be questioned. but wait, testing ideas to make sure they hold water? thats just ridiculous. who would do such a thing.
edit on 24-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LittleByLittle
a reply to: borntowatch

Sometimes it is better to complain when things seem very wrong so that you can receive information on why it is what it is and understand gods purpose and the complexity. Faith is for those who do not know. Gnosis is for those who do know and get information revealed on their level of understanding to guide them.

Please dont get me wrong
I am not suggesting that we dont take our complaints to God and burden Him, give Him all our problems and lay siege to His throne. I do, I am sure He things all I do is complain.

I am just pointing out why I think the bible has been misunderstood in these circumstances or applied and taught incorrectly

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

thats just ridiculous. who would do such a thing.

Who would claim that 'prayers are worthless' ?

Can't get any more ridiculous than that...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

thats just ridiculous. who would do such a thing.

Who would claim that 'prayers are worthless' ?

Can't get any more ridiculous than that...

Not according to the study I posted. But I can see you are still hard at work ignoring it.

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

We can't say that the Miracle of Calanda is not genuine, and we can't prove that Miguel Juan Pellicer's leg was not miraculously restored. But we can say that the evidence we have falls short, and is perfectly consistent with no miracle having taken place.

That was the conclusion of that particular article you linked.
The story doesn't have a leg to stand on so to speak.

These aren't actual documented cases just anecdotes. They require faith to believe they ever happened. I require evidence.
edit on 25-9-2014 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Prayer is not a “wish list” nor is what is called the “lords prayer” a prayer.Yahoshua clearly stated what prayer is NOT…vain babble(the confusion of words)of the gentile(those who can NOT “hear the creator God the Father).Prayer is the the creator God the Father “communicating” to a man ….the mans part is to listen then “hear”(perceive) and then do (obey).

That’s is what Paul meant when he said “pray” without ceasing.It is LUDICROUS to believe he meant to vainly babble ALL day ALL of the time about nothing.The creator God is VERY cognizant of what is going on and does not need nor desire ANYONES advice or help.

The creator God does not “answer” prayer ….that is oxymoronic ...the creator God alone is the “source” and cause of prayer. It is in Yahoshuas statement of what prayer IS..Our Father who is in the ouranos(heavens) perfect is their name (nature and character).The Fathers Kingdom has come and their WILL(not yours) will be done on earth as it IS in the ouranos……..

It is a proclamation“statement” of Truth just like everything else Yahoshua said ..it is NOT a method on how to “know” or even believe in the creator God the Father.James rightly wrote you “ask” ( aiteō …which means desire) and don’t receive because you ask amiss because you don’t “perceive” .

Prayer is not “asking” in a wish list..or giving the Father advice or what to do….it is simply communing with the creator God and it is 100% initiated BY the creator God... anything else is vanity.It is first and fore mostly 100% listening.The Father is telling YOU what "is" (Truth) and what to do..... it’s not a request line.The majority of ALL of what people believe is prayer is the babble of the gentile…vain words because they “desire” amiss.

Unfortunately very few people that “pray” amiss will ever get this very simple common reason(all the creator God does is common reason).They will continue to vainly “pray” amiss and have a multitude of unanswered prayers and when an event happens they want to happen they will say it is answered prayer when it is NOT .

This false doctrine of man leads to much strife as James said.Those that practice it are doubleminded men not knowing which way is up or down and BELIEVE they have favor with the creator God because of their vain babbling of the gentiles.They have been very, very deceived with a strong delusion to believe lies.

The fact is prayer is very simple.When the creator God wants to communicate to you they will and then you WILL hear and do and it will be just as natural as breathing.Everything else is vain religion(disobedience…not hearing).Let them that have ears…HEAR.

edit on 25-9-2014 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join