It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed UP with the Barrage of daily phone solicitors ;(

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The past several months I have been getting nothing BUT phone calls from telemarketers, charities,
and Private callers. I always check my caller ID when the phone rings and never pick up if I
see a number I don't recognize.

This is so irritating! I get on average 4-6 calls per day. I registered for the DO NOT CALL list years
ago, but I thought I might have to reregister. I went to the site and found out no, I don't, and that
I registered 10 years ago!

It really pisses me off because I pay to have my phone number unlisted. It's been unlisted since I've had
this number ( 11 Yrs).

The only times I've EVER used my real phone number online was when I donated to 2 different local
charities and I gave them my real phone number. Ever since then, I've had nothing BUT calls and even
snail mail from charities that I have no connection with.

I believe these 2 charities gave out my phone number and I am PO'd! I sure would like to find out
if they did give my number to other charities because if so, I won't ever donate to them again.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I'm annoyed too! I think they just call random numbers, they don't need to be given your number. You can ask them to be put on their do not call list and by law they have to abide. It should be against the law for charities and surveys and telemarketers to call people.

Sometimes I want to scream!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: virraszto

All I know is that last year I was told that you did have to reregister for the do not call list. So I signed back up again. I would contact your Attn General of your state and report any numbers that do call you.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

I thought that too, that's why I went to the site. I'd gladly reregister if it meant and end to the calls, however,
it says I don't need to.

www.consumer.ftc.gov...

Will My Registration Expire?
How long does my phone number stay registered?
Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I just read this part:

Political solicitors, charities and telephone survey's are not included.

That's everyone who calls me mostly, with a few telemarketers sprinkled in
for more irritation. ;(

I may decide to change my phone number or just cancel the darn thing all together.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have this same exact problem, and it appears that re-registering for the DO NOT CALL list doesn't solve the problem. I, too, re-registered last year and the calls continued. Most of the calls I get are robocalls from one GD company who want me to consolidate my bills. I have hung up on them, stayed on the phone, then flipped out on whoever I finally got to talk to, stayed on the phone and politely asked them to stop calling me, stayed on the phone and calmly expressed my annoyance that they bother me every day and my desire that they stop calling, etc. I even stayed on the phone once and conned them into giving me their phone number (just so I could turn them in) by saying I was interested but thought they were a scam so I needed their phone number to call them back to see if they were a real company.

What I found out is one should never talk to them, it only encourages further calls. I also found out that they know what they are doing is illegal...what they do is change their phone number (which is not given during the robocall) all the time so its more difficult to track them down. I hate the bas**rds!

I should also add that I do not have the luxury of affording caller ID...and that my daughter has a serious heart condition and that I must have a phone due to the fact that I've taken her to the ER many many many times in her life (I'm faster than the ambulance)...
edit on 23-9-2014 by Habit4ming because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Everybody does it:

Maybe one dollar makes it all go away?

riiiggghhhhttt....

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Habit4ming

The other day I got a phone call and the caller ID said :
Drs.Kirk & Vale

I looked them up online and found out someone had hacked into their system
and was sending scam phone calls using their name and number.

I never answer the phone, but sometimes I just wanna answer it and scream
as loud as I can or blow a whistle or something out of anger!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well that's because you're doing it wrong.

You need to follow the Tom Mabe school of handling telemarketers..

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

As a former solicitor I'll tell you right now,don't even bother to change your number. If you want to know why,its simple. The terrible company I worked for all those years ago had us go down a list of phone numbers in numerical order and call them all. If they were a business just politely excuse yourself and move on to the next. So no matter how many times you change your number, in time it will come up again in its numerical order. Changing the number stops nothing. I would just keep turning in anyone that calls you that you don't know,and don't answer the phone if its not a known number. Let your voice mail or whatever pick it up and then go through and clean out the calls.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Who'd you piss off?

This was my favorite way to get someone back for a very long time. Just go register their number in a few places that you know share...

Lots of luck.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I get about 15 calls a day like this. I don't pick up the phone anymore unless it rings for a full two minutes. Other than that I only really answer on my mobile, but lately that gets rang about 5 times a day by these random businesses.

It obviously works for them sometimes though, I wonder if it's lucrative?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I feel ya.

I just got a new phone (Samsung Galaxy 5 active) a couple days ago.

It has a call block feature and it allows me to block ANY & ALL calls that are not from people in my contact list.

ONLY family and friends calls get through and all others don't even ring on my phone. They do show up in the "missed calls" log but it's no big deal to delete all those once a day.

SWEET, SWEET phone!

Probably the best out there right now.......sorry apple sheeple.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

get a cell phone.

Most people have one already so they have a much smaller list of landlines to call and harass

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Put your phone number on the Do Not Call Registry, you'll have to register to your phone number once a year. It may take a couple of weeks but after that you'll notice no more calls from telemarketers. Honestly can't recall the last time someone has called trying to sell me something.

I set a yearly reminder on my phone to let me know when it's time to register my number and my mother-in-laws phone number again.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I have to answer my phone when it rings because I have an elderly Mother who has had many health emergencies and needs me right away.

Today I get some dude from India telling me there is something wrong with my computer. Like how the eff would he know? GRRRR Then I got a survey taker. Then I got one where I guess the recording didn't kick in so it's dead air.

Registering your number does nothing and you will still get calls.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I love it when I get calls like this because i Fux with them.. If im near my computer i bust out a soundboard. Or I just wing it with crazy voices and start rambling on about giant green marshmallow men taking over the world. Gets them every time..

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

I do have a cell phone. I have a landline because it's part of a package from my cable company. Phone, internet, and
cable. Drop one and the price increases. So it would cost me more per month without a landline.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

According to this, you don't need to re-register. Once is supposed to be all it takes.

www.consumer.ftc.gov...

Will My Registration Expire?
How long does my phone number stay registered?
Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I get the air duct cleaning calls at least 4 times a day from different call centers. They all sound like their calling form India, would registering for the do not call list even stop them? I've asked to be removed from their list but that hasn't stopped them. Thinking of getting them to send me a rep to do a quote so I can yell at them, see if that changes anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join