It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disgusted over idiotic Gun control comments.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

And like I said earlier - It's this very exact mentality and attitude that's ruining it for the rest of us. This type of mindset where you are defending every single aspect of the current extremist gun culture thing, whether it's logical or not, is the key basis of why the rest of us are at risk of losing our firearms.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Okay, so what you're saying is I shouldn't peg you as anti-gun, but because I defend the fact (really, there's plenty of evidence out there) that an inanimate object that can be used for many different purposes really is a "tool," I'm now "defending every single aspect of the current extremist gun culture thing," according to you.

And to top it all off, you imply that even if it is logical to do so (which it is...not just logical, but correct), I shouldn't, because factual, logical comments are "the key basis of why the rest of us are at risk of losing our firearms." Are you afraid that stating facts and using logic puts our rights at risk? That's absurd.

The truth is that people like you, who tell others to "put that in your pipe and smoke it," are acting in utterly immature, over-exaggerated ways that shine a terrible light on the situation, regardless of whether you're anti-gun or not. That sort of behavior is what truly derails an argument and puts rights at risk, because it is based purely on emotion rather than facts and logic--you know, those things you imply that I should avoid.

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Calling it a tool is a problem because it shows an illogical extremist mentality. The rest of the sane world out there understands a firearm to be a weapon designed specifically to cause harm and death. To call it anything else is an attempt at smoke and mirrors... a game that anyone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together can see through.... making you look like a fool.

This is the point I just made--calling something what it is is not "an illogical extremist mentality," but instead is a normal thing to do. Just because you feel (remember than emotion thing I mentioned?) that the tool should have an additional descriptor (i.e.: "weapon") doesn't mean that your feelings are the only correct way to discuss the issue. As I stated in another response on this thread, guns are not just created anymore to cause harm and death, but explaining that to you would be a waste of time.

So, I pose this question to you: What makes you think that immature name-calling and derogatory insinuations about my intelligence, coupled with emotion-based arguments that rally against logic and facts makes you think you are somehow more correct in your opinions that anyone else?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

Yes...shooting is a sport, and also a way to hunt.

But, of course, if 'ifs' and 'buts' were candies and nuts...

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0rbital
If you feel you need a gun for protection just to go about your daily business then you live in a sick society. I lived in South Africa for a while and people owned guns, it would have been insane not to, society was sick there too.

Would you say your society is sick, America?

See, you're perpetuating a reason that doesn't exist.

I don't carry a concealed weapon because I'm constantly fearful that I'm going to be attacked--I carry because of the ol' cliche that it's better to have one and never need it than to need one and never have it. If it's absolutely legal to do, and I'm well trained in order to do it, then why wouldn't I?

With a wife and two children, I feel it's my duty as a husband and father to protect them as well as I can. If you think there's something wrong with that, I would argue that your mentality of having an available firearm is sick--why wouldn't you do all you could to protect yours and your family's lives?

You obviously think American society is "sick," so I assume your question was rhetorical, but here's my answer anyhow: No. Our society is not sick, but just as in any society, there are sick people that can do disproportionate harm to others when they can't protect themselves. Criminals don't have many limits to what they'll do, but that doesn't mean the society as a whole is "sick."

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I've created a counter-point to this thread, that asks, I think, a very important question.

Disgusted over idiotic gun advocacy comments

This stems from some of the intense hate experienced as a result of the latest Next Level BS episode.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

So now that this is all cooled off a bit, other than the knee jerk reactions, (that the OP was written to cause) what is your opinion of bringing up anti gun comments on a thread explaining the situation of 6 children being killed by their father?
After all, other than wanting to be absolutely sure the guy who wrote that understood that the thread was just for him, there was another point to be made.

posted on Sep, 30 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

NONSENSE.

Are you a spin doctor for Gun clubs?

Less guns equals less fatalaties by guns, no matter how it is reported the figures don't lie. Look at Europe with a diverse population and laws and still it is glaringly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: redeyeblue
a reply to: SlapMonkey

NONSENSE.

Are you a spin doctor for Gun clubs?

Less guns equals less fatalaties by guns, no matter how it is reported the figures don't lie. Look at Europe with a diverse population and laws and still it is glaringly obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Fatalities by guns and crimes committed by guns are two different things. The problem with your "logic" is that there is no way to get rid of guns completely, so all gun laws do is take away guns from law-abiding citizens like me.

But then again, me no smart person, you genius person.

Again, according to your logic.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join