It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What drives us?

page: 1

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:23 AM
Imagine you are standing in a large room, surrounded by a diverse range of extraterrestrials whom all look upon you with excitement and wonder. The atmosphere is pleasant, and you sense an abundance of positive energy in the room. Suddenly, a warm, deep voice greets you, informing you that you have been chosen as a representative for humanity to answer a single question to the best of your ability.

What do you believe drives human beings?

As a representative of human beings, what would be your response?

Please provide a reason for your response.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:27 AM
I would say all of the above and then some.

If it were a real scenario where they wanted the truth, any other answer would not suffice. What drives humans, is as varied, colorful, diverse, and complicated as each human themselves.

What drives me, may not drive any other person that walks this planet beside me. What drives you may be the same.

We are a melting pot and we are each different in our wants, needs, and dreams.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Curiosity. Self-development. Pushing boundaries. Exploration. Creativity. Pleasure. Pain. Hunger. Hope. Fear. Anxiety. Boredom. Loneliness. Love. A Spark of Madness.

Not necessarily in that order.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:42 AM

"good" concept (re)production

good is God
concept is awareness and is the Father
re is the sensation of form and is the Son
production is will and is the Holy Ghost

We're all reproducing our "good" awareness of will, where the bodies or forms are the bodies of our awareness, and the awareness is the awareness of our will.

Everything is doing it, even the "aliens".

Edit: I don't know the reason. God said it is for his pleasure. I think pleasure is the consumption of good forms which thereby maintain awareness. That is, without something to be aware of, you cannot be aware. Since will/spirit is from God, I suppose God only wants form/fruit/images to be good/pleasing to his awareness; and for that reason, all will desires "good".
edit on 9/23/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:48 AM

What drives us?

I can only speak for myself....

"The quest for beauty"

Ever since I was a child, I knew that I was an artist. Even though I have made forays into the world of business and academia, my total identity is one of an artist and the act of creating ART is the reason for my existence. It's a compulsion, and an exquisite addiction.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:56 AM

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Please provide a reason for your response.

Knowledge. For without Humanity would be conducting itself as many other less AWARE CREATOR Creations or animals of EA*RTH... But due to knowledge exposure? Humans have established thinking processes. Processes of which-Survival-Love-compassion-Righteousness & many other thought processes are foundationed from. Knowledge is what would allow humans to understand otherworldy beings and their communications as well as their potential benevolent or malevolent intents. So I say knowledge drives many of us to Advance beyond...

edit on 9/23/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:58 AM

The only truthful answer I could ever offer is Suffering.

People move away from suffering towards what they think is not suffering. As a entire people i find it hard not to apply it.

My concept is simply a pursuit of happiness. But suffering is the cause of this pursuit there's no need to hide it no need to cover it up cause the truth in an of itself should be liberating.

Forgetting our suffering would be.. to repeat all the mistakes of the past. If we have enough wisdom to know ourselves then we could be... deserving enough to speak unburdened and without prejudice to peoples from other worlds.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:07 PM
Biology only. Everything else is a wishful illusion chosen to be believed because the totality of a nihilistic existence is for the most part unpalatable to the Human psyche.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:20 PM
I would have to say purpose...

Everything I have learned tells me that all of us have one.

This life is a preparation for the next... all Christians are now on probation, to prove character and to test us for the world to come, to see what we'll do with the life we've been given, to test our repentance, how real it is, to test our obedience whether we plan to be an obedient Christian or not, to prove our faithfulness, to see what we'll do with time...

Fire on the Altar Compilation MP3

About a year ago, I bought a piece of property for $80,000. Today, it is worth approximately $600,000. This highly profitable transaction required no effort on my part, except walking into a lawyer's office to sign the papers. I have asked the Lord, "Jesus, why do you bless me like this?" "Because you passed my test," He answered. "How did I pass your test?" You fulfilled the Scripture," He said. "My test for the human race and the Church is obedience to the Scriptures." He said, "I don't have any other test except the Scriptures. Tell my people that there are blessings attached to each verse that is fulfilled by any believing Christian."

Norvel Hayes

Not long ago, the Lord gave me $200,000. I said, "Lord, what am I going to do with it? I don't need it. What did You give it to me for?" He said, "You passed my test." I said, "Passed your test? What in the world did I do to pass Your test?" He said, "You fulfilled a scripture. Tell them everywhere you go...tell them that the Bible is my test; every time they fulfill a scripture, tell them to never worry about the answers to their prayers."

Misguided Faith by Norvel Hayes.

In early morning prayer, Jesus dressed in a white long gown and embraced by a very bright light appeared before me and said the following to me: "Before we were born in the world, all of us were given a special mission by God."

Rev. Joshua Do Shick Joe

My children, certainly, would be gravely harmed by my suicide. I was given a glimpse of their future, not the events of their lives but rather energy, and the character that their lives would have. By abandoning my earthly responsibilities, I would influence my children, my oldest son in particular, to make choices that would lead him away from his divine purpose. Before Alex was born, I was told, he had agreed to perform specific tasks during his life on earth. His duty was not revealed to me, but I felt the energy that his life would have up until his young adult years.

I was told that my children were great and powerful spirits and that up to this point in my life, I had not deserved them. I caught a glimpse of how deeply God loves my boys, and how, with my callous disregard for their welfare, I was tampering with the sacred will of God.

Angie Fenimores NDE

We all have scroll prepared by God before we were conceived in our mother’s womb. It’s important we discover what is written on it so we can walk in it and fulfil our Testimony; for it is on this that we will be judged and rewarded. At the end of this life Jesus will compare what we have done with what we should have done with our lives. We have a lifetime to discover what is on our scroll and work it out and achieve it.

Your Scroll and Testimony ~ The Testimony of Your Scroll MP3

God is Love. That is His very nature. It was what caused Him to create the universe and to create every one of us. And Love wants the best; God wants the best for us, for each of us. He knows what the best is for each of us, that best is already written on a scroll, if you read Psalm 139 it says that He knew you before you were even born. Already on that scroll in heaven your whole life is set out, His will for your life, and He wants to reveal it to you. He wants you to know the best. Truth

originally posted by: Perelandra
OP- You ought to read the book of Ecclesiastes. It is in the Bible. I don't know your belief system, but don't let that deter you. It is considered by some the most perfect writing on "the meaning of life". I think at the very least you will find it interesting.

edit on 23-9-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:22 PM
a reply to: Huggiesunrise

But some people like pain and suffering -- to them, it is good. So the people who move away from suffering are not moving from suffering so much as they are moving towards good. You can see this exemplified again in those who voluntarily suffer in order to obtain good, or for a good cause. Most people dislike work but they suffer it for the good that the suffering gives them.

I do not think that "bad" exists as it is thought to by most people. I think bad is actually "unpleasing/unjust" good. A devil does not produce "bad", he produces what a devil thinks is "good", and his version of "good" just so happens to be unpleasing/unjust/wicked.

e.g. By making your post, you intended to formulate your "good" awareness into words/fruit/seed for other souls/awareness to consume and reproduce -- so that you could see them produce "good" fruit/forms. I posted my response with the "good" intention of telling you that your formulation/fruit was "bad", so that you could produce "good" fruit for us to consume. However, both of our formulations were made with "good" intentions, so where did "bad" come from? Was it from me, you, or the opening post? It depends on what is unjust, I think, but "bad" was never created by will - I do not think any of us intended to will "bad" - I do not think will can do that - I don't think suffering has power over us, or wills us.
edit on 9/23/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:26 PM
I'd be asking what drives them more or less. An alien race that almost believed to be perfect like they were Angels of legend, would have little purpose left for it self.

Most ideas of purpose are just often believes, man made to some grand ideas of being virtuous, setting a bar for a quality of standard of living trying to separate themselves from the beasts, or nature for that matter . Like Samurai and Vikings only fighting those who could fight back, and wanting to die to some superior follower of that ideal. As if being a cowered was the worst thing they could be, let alone disobeying some authority figure, when really fight/flight it work for various life forms in biology.

W ether that purpose becomes the idea of testing one own self and their ideals, or just trying to be the apex predator of a food chain for satisfaction...Which slowly loose it purpose.

If anything, this could be our purpose, the purpose to think and choose...There is no greater freedom from God's authority from fate or predetermism.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:28 AM

Pleasure / Pleasant feeling

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:41 AM
The six human needs. Found by Anthony Robbins. It's a fact

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 12:42 AM

Language. When a monk self-immolates in protest against all of his base instincts of survival and life and happiness, just so that he may prove a point, we see a will to expression negate all the other drives.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:46 AM

"All sentience follows the will to exist with the exception of those whom deem their existence to be at an end. Humans are driven by the paradox of existence and non-existence, it is key to their nature and key to their benevolence towards the doubtful."
edit on 24-9-2014 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics