It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Naval Fleet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I was curious as to the status of the US Naval Fleet. I've read many times that the might of the US Navy is one that is 2nd to none, and that no one would ever be able to invade the shores of the US due to this fleets unparalleled capabilities. I know of the presence in the Persian Gulf, as well as the large maneuvers which were done near China earlier this year. How mobile is the fleet? How quickly could they get back to protect the shorelines of the USA if it became necessary? Is the US Navy as formidable as speculated?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Type in US navy in google and you get the site then go on "Status of the navy"

US navy

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
devilwasp - Thank you for that link.

I'll take a look. I've read several of your posts, and it would appear that you have a naval backgroundI'll catch you around the forums.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The US is the only country that operates a true bluewater navy. The USN has 12 Carrier Battle Groups, each one has an Air Wing more powerful that the entire Air Force of most countries. The USN could concentrate 5-7 CBG's anywhere in the world withinin 1-2 weeks if the need arose.

The US submarine fleet is the largest and most technically advanced in the world. The USN allowed it's ASW capabilities to languish after the cold war, but this is being rectified today, with new platforms like the MMA and the Virginia Class.

The only other country that operates a fixed wing carrier is Russia, and they have one, the Kuznetsov. It is in active service, but hasn't left port for several years. The British have 3 VSTOL carriers, the Invincible Class ships, which have Harriers and Helos, and China has a helo carrier. India has purchased the Admiral Gorshkov from Russia and it is undergoing conversion. It will carry Mig-29K's.

China bought 3 old carriers from Russia and after inspecting them down to their keel plates, converted them into floating tourist attractions. China has the desire to have a couple carriers, and they may be under construction, but there is no hard evidence of this, and the projects in question may be amphibious assault ships.

Russia and the UK have limited blue water capabilities, but no country has the amphibious lift capability to invade the US, so any invasion of the US would be quite impossible at this time.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Modern Naval power is not about ship vs. ship combat anymore. Not that ship vs. ship is impossible, but it simply isn�t the future of Naval warfare.

Modern Navies are about projecting power and coastal defense. Now the US has the Coast Guard obviously for some of these tasks, but many nations have just one water borne force.

The US Navy is ALL about projecting power. Power in the form of Carrier Groups. Twelve currently if I am not mistaken. Carrier groups can contain dozens of ships. All with the sole purpose of supplying and defending the carrier.

A carrier group usually has destroyers, cruisers, and 1 sub for defense and a host of other support ships. All this to carry a full compliment of the worlds most advances fighter aircraft.

You cant hide a navy now days. Not only can you not hide a navy, or even a ship for that matter, the location is known instantly by anyone who chooses to spend a couple minutes to look. This changes all of what naval warfare has been about in the past.

With the advent of satellites and long range ship/air/surface to ship missiles, navies must operate far differently than before. Its about intelligence, technology and early detection. Its all about acquiring your enemy, assessing the threat level, and nullifying it before it can strike. Missiles today are far to advanced to shoot down 100% of the time with current systems (phalanx) although this is changing. So a target in the crosshairs of a modern anti-ship missile is as good as hit, or at least this must be assumed.

So, what does the US navy do to be the �best� Navy out there? A few things:
1) Its huge. The US Navy is nearly the largest out there
2) Ultra high tech. The US Navy uses the highest tech stuff out there. Liberally.
3) Money. The US throws a boat load of cash at the Navy (no pun intended). That�s makes the best equipment, training and supplies.
4) These carrier group house the most formidable air power on the planet. And its all about the airpower

The US Navy can see and acquire its enemy long before the enemy knows its there. This is huge. This gives the Navy a massive advantage. The Navy can launch interceptors to destroy a target before that target poses any threat. Once a carrier group is in position, it can operate like an independent nation able to not only project its power, but defend and support itself for the duration of the operation.

This is what the US Navy is about and I don�t mind saying they do it better than anybody else. I sound proud because I am. I am also a little biased being an American myself. Of course, you can only be so proud of devices of war. But unfortunately war happens and we need a strong navy.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
How mobile is the fleet? How quickly could they get back to protect the shorelines of the USA if it became necessary?

Thats one of the biggies,
They don't have to "get Back", cause they are large enough to occupy both location simultaneously.

Go Navy!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
You got that Notme, with 12 carrier groups and growing, its not hard to be anywhere in the world in a day or so. Take into account the fighters range and it could be minutes.

new topics

top topics

join