It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Tips For Anxiety In A Specific Situation?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Try cutting out sugar. It really is bad stuff. It makes me feel ill now when I eat a large amount like a candy bar or something and also makes me hypersensitive.

Also good luck finding the cause anxiety sucks.
edit on 23-9-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

You need a snickers man.

Sugar is the staple of so many - yet this sugar induced " driving anxiety " is a rare form of sugarism ?
Experienced by Domo only ? Or is there a study that we may benefit from ?

Looking forward to that link.

ED: Must agree that refined sugars are bad ! As are empty salts!

If you need sugar - we have here in OZ - a low GI sugar - called wait for it ....

Logicane. ( Low Gi Cane ) of the sugar variety.

If salt is your bent -
Use Himalayan Pink Rocksalt !

Instead of the one benefit of commercial salt ie; Iodine.

The above - provides 85 minerals and trace elements ... ( or there about - off the top of my head )

Also a great alkaline ! Quarter of a tsp. fixes heartburn for me ! ( washed down with water ... )

I'll be quiet now ...

edit on 23-9-2014 by Timely because: stuff needed to be added !

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Ok I reply to this without any official medical qualification of course : ) But I have some experience with anxiety in the past myself.

I *think* that the situation, whether it's an elevator, driving on the high way, bus, movie theatre, grocery store etc. doesn't matter. The principle is the same.

You feel *trapped* in a certain situation or location and you get anxiety for the time being; you cannot "escape" the situation because you are "forced" to finish this task (whether it's driving or whatever) despite you being extremely uncomfortable or panicky even. You start to over-think this...and of course the realization you cannot escape the situation and the loss of control (at least for a certain amount of time) makes your panic/anxiety only WORSE.

You know that the panic/anxiety is irrational. But even knowing this makes the panic just worse. (For me, when I had this many years ago what made it worse was situations in public because it added to the anxiety that "something may happen" and then you're exposed to the judging eyes of others etc.)

You even start to think about avoiding situations where you know you may become anxious, but this also makes it worse. You start becoming anxious just from the thought that you MAY become anxious in this or that situation.

What it solved it for me I don't know. I only know that at some point I "simply" (easier said than done) ignored my anxiety and exposed myself to situations nevertheless. Avoidance is the worst thing you can do. One thing which also helped (at least in my case) was the thought that other people have issues too and the realization that I do not have an "obligation" to present myself as "perfect" in public situations since no-one is "perfect".

All I can say is to expose yourself to those situations (driving on the highway) as often as you can because at some point you will realize that nothing will really happen and your anxiety may go away on itself.

One technique which also may help is to visualize that your worst fears comes true..and you mentally play through the situation entirely over-exaggerated in your mind...just to realize that even *IF* everything comes true which you fear ...that it won't really matter.
edit on 9/23/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
(wince) I know that it's probably beyond the pale to bring up here, but if you've got a good NLP guy locally, and there's no biological basis for what's happening (e.g. schizophrenia), you might find that there's some relief in just excising that anxiety.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:31 AM
link   
rhodiola works wonders for anxiety and stress
it regulates stress hormone release
i am taking a 500mg rhodiola extract supplement one time daily
also tried a different product with less rhodiola but mixed with ashwaganda and shizandra which worked as well
im cycling between them every 4 weeks
it works so good i do not need to take betablockers anymore that the pharmafia-dealer prescribed me for racing heartbeat i had whenever i even thought of a stressfull moment i would or could have in the future.
makes me not feel anxious around crowds of people anymore which was a huge energy leak

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: twfau
Is there a particular aspect of free-way driving that brings up the anxiety? I don't drive on motorways that much (I guess the UK alternative) so the process of joining them always gives me a little bit of anxiety, especially when in busy traffic. Perhaps try driving on them at night a few times when you know it won't be as busy, the little bit of experience might alleve some anxiety.

That's a good question. I think I feel trapped. So we don't always have a lane to pull over on our freeways, the next exit could be a few miles... I don't think it's traffic that bugs me. It's not being able to stop if I get freaked out, which freaks me out.

I think that's a great suggestion. My (amazing) girlfriend knows about this and suggested that she tag along for some night time drives.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aperture

That was actually very helpful.

I don't like telling people about this, but for some reason knowing other people get anxious in certain situations really helps. I get a tad nervous before I have to speak in public, but it doesn't do the same thing. Knowing someone else has had something similar and kicked it in the ass makes me feel better.

You talked about exposing yourself. I think this is a BIG part of the problem. I've allowed myself to avoid what's bothering me by taking alternate routes or a cab.

Really appreciate you taking the time to write all that.

I'm rooting for you too.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

originally posted by: twfau
Is there a particular aspect of free-way driving that brings up the anxiety? I don't drive on motorways that much (I guess the UK alternative) so the process of joining them always gives me a little bit of anxiety, especially when in busy traffic. Perhaps try driving on them at night a few times when you know it won't be as busy, the little bit of experience might alleve some anxiety.

That's a good question. I think I feel trapped. So we don't always have a lane to pull over on our freeways, the next exit could be a few miles... I don't think it's traffic that bugs me. It's not being able to stop if I get freaked out, which freaks me out.

I think that's a great suggestion. My (amazing) girlfriend knows about this and suggested that she tag along for some night time drives.

If you are getting freaked out whilst driving - now is a good time tostopand take stock !

Seriously! I have seen things on the road that should not have happened !

Domo. Don't be that guy !

With respect mate ! We love our fellow ATS'ers !!

We are that big family with the disappearing relatives !! Lol !

You know the answers ! ...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes

Well my next question is one you probably cannot answer here because of websites rules.

Have you ever experienced a drug bad trip?

I have seen people have anxiety issues following these events even years later.

I'll answer it. I don't believe it violates the T&C in this context, and if it does it's the kind of violation that slips through.

There is a certain drug that is now legal in my state (WA) that I tried and had bad experiences with. Oddly enough, it gave me panic attacks. I think I only really got to a certain point 2x but both times were horrible. The last experience was when I was about 20.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
I'm sure you will get control of it........ I believe astigmatism may be connected, as it effects the way you see light, might get your eyes checked.

I have astigmatism. Weird. I don't drive without corrective lenses, either glasses or contacts (basically just contacts).

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

I'm pretty fit and eat well. I exercise just about every day.

Completely agree that eating well and exercising is a wonderful way for most people to combat anxiety.

Good advice, I appreciate it. I may step it up a few notches.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Oh, can I have your car? Sounds epic what are you rolling in ?

IF and that's a HUGE if, I were to sell her I would want $90,000. I love her. You could have your own brand new with the same stuff for $40,000 (ish).

No way I'm ever selling this car though. First new car I've owned, wonderful memories, she's family.

The world is flat and Cobb/Perrin are too enticing.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Mercedes?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

NEVER!

I really dislike Mercedes. If I wanted an expensive performancy car I would buy BMW (an M3, seriously considered it), and if I wanted a really nice reliable car I would buy a Lexus.

I've known too many people with a Mercedes to ever consider one. They have a really cool past, but the present is awful.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Try Yoga, lots of Yoga classes for beginners on Youtube. It can help. Free, easy and less than an hour.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Even though you may think it's just situational, it's quite possible there are other factors involved. I currently have anxiety issues and panic attacks...much of it is blood sugar related. (Much better now that I don't drink soda, eat fast food or drink anything with HFCS.) I also have issues with claustaphobia and in traffic I panic. I panic beyond what you are describing. I do any number or combination of things to get back to a balance point.

Concentrating on breathing is number 1. Think about your breath. In through the nose, out through the mouth. One breath at a time. When your mind races...go back to the breath.

Set tiny little goals..."when I pass that streetlight I'll be fine" or "when I hit the next mile marker, my chest will relax"

Put your mind on something else: Think about the details of what's going on in your engine, think about how you would prepare a certain meal, step by step, think about that time you scored the game winning basket, goal, touchdown, or aced a serve. Relive that emotion.

I hope this helps. Anxiety is a serious issue.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Say to yourself: "WOW!!! I didn't die this time! Amazing!"

Do this often enough and you will realize that the fears are irrational and you will start laughing at yourself sooner or later.
Most importantly: It CAN be overcome, it can be overcome even without a doctor and drugs. I had the most stupid anxiety problems in all sorts of situations, they're all gone. Laugh at yourself and very important...confront your own fears as often as you can.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I don't know what your particular situation is but what I would try if I were you is extreme defensive driving when you get on highway. That will give your mind something else to focus on beside whatever you are feeling.

-Check left mirror
-Check in front
-Check rear view mirror
-Check right mirror
-Scan ahead
-Mentally note what any and all cars are doing and where they are located

Rinse

Repeat

If you feel anxiety coming on, divert your attention to safe driving techniques. Become the car that is going to prevent accidents on the road. Watch all the other drivers and note their behavior, lane changes, etc. Keep your mind focused on that when on highway, and off. Allow it to become habit even when it's not highway driving.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I understand exactly what you are saying as i have the exact fear that you have. It started a couple of years ago. I think it has improved a little lately.
There is one particular point on the freeway that freaks me out and as i approach i just want to escape and cant so i feel as if i have vertigo, sweating and rapid heart beat. It's where there is an interchange and there are multiple ramps above me. so many times i have avoided it which is ridiculous. The other day i went past this spot and found i didnt freak as much as previously. Some of our freeways around sydney now have tunnels and for the life of me i just cant face them. have been through as a passenger and thought thats not too bad but the thought of driving through them is making me feel anxious now.

If you hear of any help that works...please let me know.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Your first 5 paragraphs absolutely nailed what i feel like. i got shivers it was so close to the truth for me.

I so enjoyed reading your reply.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join