It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Marchers Leave Trail of Trash EVERYWHERE

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

No..No, it is not.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind if people came to your place of living, trashed it, and left? You would be thinking otherwise. I can't believe the obtuse thinking some of you exhibit. For a "writer", your input in this thread is ridiculous. 4 words? Great Job Buddy. I gave you a green star for effort.

Have you ever been to an organised event of any kind?
A festival, rally...protest, fair, carnival??

It's the same at all of them - Lots of people = Rubbish/trash
You're just ranting in a biased, moronic way.... your picture shows rubbish right next to and on top of a bin and that kinda says the bin was full but people were at least collecting the rubbish in the right area.

Well done on being utterly clueless

What rant next? "I went to a football stadium and it was noisy and crowded"

"I went shopping and I had to stand in a queue - how annoying"

edit on 23/9/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: James1982

Unless you have a massive amount of people with limited receptacles. What do you recommend when they have exhausted the local units. Maybe even carried away what they could? Not eat or drink?

What they should have done is what I said in this post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Leave No Trace.

Simple.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

BSA? You mean in the bush? Easy to bury stuff and leave no trace. Good idea. I don't think that the Mayor would like people digging up streets in NY. Only so much you can do with a lot of people in a small area.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

BSA? You mean in the bush? Easy to bury stuff and leave no trace. Good idea. I don't think that the Mayor would like people digging up streets in NY. Only so much you can do with a lot of people in a small area.

Did you read my post? We do NOT bury anything (except poo when there are no toilets).

We carry our trash back out with us. And, we do the same when visiting places that are not out in the "bush"

Please actually read the post this time.

:rolling eyes emote that we need:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Paraphrasing. Sorry to not be more literal. You want to tell me how you do what you said in that post in the most densely populated city in the western world as opposed to.....well, anywhere else?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Paraphrasing. Sorry to not be more literal. You want to tell me how you do what you said in that post in the most densely populated city in the western world as opposed to.....well, anywhere else?

What part of it do you not understand? It's so simple that FIRST GRADERS in Cub Scouts understand it!

"Take with you what you brought with you."

That simple. There is NO reason why everyone could not of had a bag or back pack to place any and all of their trash in, and when the event is done, carry it back out and dispose of it properly.

Or are you advocating that everyone should just depend on someone else to carry out the trash for them?

Oh look, it's over flowing, I'll just leave it by it, never mind the wind and other people that may knock it around and get it trampled and disbursed.

A responsible person that is generating trash, has NO excuse for not taking out their own.

If one truly cares about the environment, then one is aware that they should properly take care of their waste.

Period.

Quit making excuses for those that don't seem to understand this. There is NO reason that every single marcher there should not have practiced Leave No Trace.

If a first grader can do it, then what is their excuse?

None.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

What part of it do you not understand? It's so simple that FIRST GRADERS in Cub Scouts understand it!

Cool. How many of those people have had this "basic" training.

That simple. There is NO reason why everyone could not of had a bag or back pack to place any and all of their trash in, and when the event is done, carry it back out and dispose of it properly.

Where? In their hotel rooms? That's just different people picking it up.

Or are you advocating that everyone should just depend on someone else to carry out the trash for them?

Sometimes....yeah.

Oh look, it's over flowing, I'll just leave it by it, never mind the wind and other people that may knock it around and get it trampled and disbursed.

Maybe the Public Works could have been better prepared.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Seriously... there's no issue here. As someone else stated, lot's of people come for an event, spend lots of money, there's not enough barrels for all the trash, in big cities for big events you're supposed to pile the trash up like that, the sanitation department has a budget for these things and it's all cleaned up within 2 hours. Should people not throw trash into their own personal barrels at home? That's also making a mess and not cleaning it up yourself, just leaving it for the garbage trucks and sanitation workers to deal with. Absurd, right?

This is just nit picky and pathetic.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

But they were not, where they?

Yes, back at the hotel is fine. That would be "properly disposing of it", would it not?

Piling it up around and on top of a trash can is NOT "properly disposing of it"

Don't need to be trained.

Just need some common sense is all.

Leave No Trace can be practiced by anyone at any place.

If you can dispose of something properly (there is a trash can, not over flowing, etc), then that's fine.

There really is NO excuse. If you care about the environment that much (even the downtown part of a city), then you know at any event, there is a possibility of overflowing trash. Which means being prepared to save and take your own trash out if you can't find a place to properly dispose of it.

No real training required. Just a little common sense, and actually CARING about what happens to your trash if it doesn't go where it's suppose to.

And your statement: "Maybe the Public Works could have been better prepared." is indicative of "we have to always depend on someone else to take care of our needs."

Common sense. No brainer.

We yell at industry for not properly disposing of their waste. We yell at others for dumping their pollution where it shouldn't go.

Because of "training"?

No. Because we care about the environment.

But at the same time we are going to excuse those who do not practice what they preach? Please.

The trash is full and/or over flowing. What should I do?

1) Find another trash bin that is not full or over flowing.
2) Failure of number one means: I'd better take this with me until I can find a place to dispose of it properly.

Do you REALLY think that people need to be "trained" to think that way?

Well, I and others with the BSA are trying our best, not just young boys, but their sibs too when they go on outings with us.

However, at the end of the day, what it really boils down to is:

Some people just can't be bothered to be responsible for themselves and instead depend on or think "someone else will take care of it."

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

If it were the woods or a beach, I would agree with you but this is a major city with a whole department to handle this and the workers get overtime, it all gets cleaned up and ends up exactly the same place it would have if you brought it back with you to wherever you were going.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
And what this little whine fest is really about is that in the mind of the whiners these people were guilty of something and icky the minute they decided to attend the march.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

That's what I said earlier. If I was a NY Public Works employee looking forward to some damn good overtime, I would be disappointed.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yep, I stole it

Now I'm a litter bug and a thief!
edit on 9/23/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
And what this little whine fest is really about is that in the mind of the whiners these people were guilty of something and icky the minute they decided to attend the march.

Lets be honest this was the only thing they could grasp at to feign outrage. It is attendance envy plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

No..No, it is not.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind if people came to your place of living, trashed it, and left? You would be thinking otherwise. I can't believe the obtuse thinking some of you exhibit. For a "writer", your input in this thread is ridiculous. 4 words? Great Job Buddy. I gave you a green star for effort.

Have you ever been to an organised event of any kind?
A festival, rally...protest, fair, carnival??

It's the same at all of them - Lots of people = Rubbish/trash
You're just ranting in a biased, moronic way.... your picture shows rubbish right next to and on top of a bin and that kinda says the bin was full but people were at least collecting the rubbish in the right area.

Well done on being utterly clueless

What rant next? "I went to a football stadium and it was noisy and crowded"

"I went shopping and I had to stand in a queue - how annoying"

I've been to plenty of organized events, most likely a lot more than you have, that's not the point of this thread.

Really, I don't think you get the point, buddy. You must be able to write but not able to read. I think we both write the same language, you write English, I write English. So why can't you comprehend the 5-10 times I've repeated myself about WHY THIS IS HYPOCRITICAL???

That bin picture, that another poster put up, NOT ME, even shows the complete and utter laziness of this protest. Sure, just toss it as close to the bin as you can, let someone else pick it up. If that's how you live your life, I feel sorry for the people that decide to surround themselves with you.

The whole point of this thread is going wayyyy over YOUR head. Instead of calling me all kinds of names, I'd like you to go back and read WHY I am ranting then explain it back to me. Maybe talking to you like a 5 year old will help you understand better.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Believe it or not but this would fall under the tourism budget. All those people went there. Had rooms. Ate. Took cabs. Etc. They left the city with more money than what it took to clean it up. I was surprised it wasn't much messier.

They came and left in the same day in over 550 buses and cars. Hardly renting rooms and making a vacation out of it. Sorry.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime
Thanks for the thread, and I mean it. This is where the rubber
meets the road... implementation. We had almost a million
individual little snowflakes out there not being anything like
their lazy brother's keeper. The reason is obvious.

I've been field stripping my smokes for forty five years this
summer. I know it's a stinking habit, and flame me later...
but I leave no evidence of it for others to clean behind.
For this-- I mean a Greenpeace irony cup? No Quarter

This micro-rant was not lithographed in the US

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The hypocrisy doesn't lie so much in where the trash ends up--it's in the fact that the trash is ever created in the first place. From the looks of things, these people are the best customers of everything they say they despise.

Save the Planet!

...brought to you by Coca-Cola, Starbucks, and Dunkin Donuts. Oh, and Apple, of course.

They can take their trash home and it wouldn't matter to anything but public aesthetics. It doesn't change the fact that they spent the day consuming and excreting corporate garbage when they could have brought some real food and beverage from home (assuming they have any real food at home), with minimal waste and environmental impact.

Yet Greenpeace has their own cups. Really?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: OptimusCrime

It's childish to call out childish behavior?

No, it's childish to think you have a point and then find out, because you didn't read the entire OP, you were wrong. Then, after it's pointed out, give a sarcastic, stupid response like that poster did. That's what's childish.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I'll tell you how you do it. Your bring a backpack, with what you need, then you put your trash in it. Then when you get home, or where ever else you are going, you take it out. Then, you either throw it out or recycle it. That's how. They don't need a damn weeks worth of supplies for a one day, few hour event.

You make it like they're sleeping in the streets for week.
edit on 9/23/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join