It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming election in Iraq.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I was just pondering the upcoming election that is to happen in Iraq and like many, I'm curious to see if it will actually happen. The thing that baffles me is some of my fellow American Citizens and their views on it.

First off, if one is conservative or moderate, one most likely hopes that the election is successful for one of many reasons.

The ideology I cannot grasp is the liberal hope that it fails. Now this is illogical to me for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, for those who don't think we should have military in Iraq, this seems an all important step to the end of hostilities and eventual withdrawal of troops. Secondly, why would anyone deem it right for some to live without a voice under tyranny while they enjoy having a voice in their governing?

Are we now to the point that we would wish for casualties and death and for the Iraqi people to fall back under a totalitarian regime all for the sake of political agendas?

I often ask my freinds with this view why it matters so much to them that these people not have free elections. "Its not about them!" they say. "Its about Bush and his policies!"

So, because he happens to be president during this, one must hope an entire country is forever ensnarled in violence? When I ask what they would like to see done in Iraq, they have no answer. They revert to telling me what they would like done to Bush..but alas have no answer.

If some of you "enlightened" people cannot tell me a good reason why its a bad thing if elections suceed in Iraq, I am about to form the opinion that some people in the US want to see the form of government that has given them the rights they have forbidden to others for no more than a personal vendetta against George Bush.

I'm watching for your replies. Again the question? Why do you not want to see free elections suceed in Iraq?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Well, I hope for the sake of the Iraqi people that they succeed. I also hope for the people of Iraq that the violence is over for them soon. We are there, so I know that realistically, we cant just pull out and leave them hanging. I just dont think we should have been there in the first place. But we went, so now America has to clean up the biggest mess any president has ever got us entangled into. We liberals dont hope for the failure of election just to say "HAHA'" to the big schmuck in office. I know that some of us would say it, me included, but I would still feel for the Iraqi people and there daily struggle to survive under the current American occupation.

What you might be getting confused with is the fact that many Liberals would like to see the elections postponed untill Iraq is a safe place and elections can be held ia all of Iraq with out the threat of retalliation because of someones vote..

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I started a thread on this but it didn't recieve many posts. Why wouldn't someone want the elections in Iraq to be successful? All the lives lost... I am hoping that it goes smoothly but I am a realist and the violence over there seems to be escalating as the election draws near. That is if the election happens on time or at all. I gave two links to articles in the other thread... a positive and a negative one...Unfortunantly, I think there are people here in the US and abroad secretly hoping the elections fail. I also have a sinking feeling that no matter what happens over there the media will pick it apart focusing on anything negative that happens... Even if the end results in a successful election. All eyes and ears will be focused on the goings ons in Iraq come January. That can't be denied.

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
I also have a sinking feeling that no matter what happens over there the media will pick it apart focusing on anything negative that happens... Even if the end results in a successful election.

Well, in todays society, its not news if something bad hasnt happened. You rarely hear of any good news any more.

new topics

top topics

join