It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coca Cola / Pepsi ? - enjoy !?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

from ENN
NEW DELHI ? Coca Cola and Pepsi sold in India must carry a consumer warning after the nation's Supreme Court said tests of the soft drinks bottled locally turned up high levels of pesticides, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

The court gave the soft-drink giants' Indian subsidiaries a two-week deadline to come up with acceptable language for the warning labels, which will be displayed on the sides of cans and bottles across the country, The Indian Express newspaper said.

Last year, a New Delhi-based activist group, the Center for Science and Environment, claimed that pesticide residue levels in randomly selected Coke and Pepsi bottles were 30 to 36 times higher than norms set by the European Union due to the use of contaminated ground water.

The companies challenged the findings in court and a judge ordered tests.

Later, India's health minister announced the results of the court-ordered tests that showed nine out of 12 soft drinks produced by the Coca-Cola and PepsiCo operators in India did not meet European Union safety standards for pesticide residue, but were considered safe under local standards.

I new that drinking those drinks is not really healthy, there is even expression that coke is the best remedy for rust
But pesticides??? What the heck pesticides are doing there, anyone knows???

[edit on 7-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
what is it you think its the caffine that gives you that great buzz after you swig a can or two?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thats maybe from the sugar plantation, if they use there a high amount of pesticides..everybody know that the Coke and Pepsi stuff have 70% of sugar in it

Coke and Pespi are healthy with "Sticks" together: If you get sick (stomach) its a good idea to drink and eat such stuff, its because of the alkaline solution/lye

greetings!

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
i don't think the problem is necessarily a coke/pepsi problem, the problem with the pesticides comes from the local bottlers in India. either way though the parent company should have higher standers for the bottlers they use.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's funny...each company spends millions of dollars on advertising for their cola product....but as the comedian says, "when you go through the drive thru to eat you just tell em "and whatever cola you have" very few people are actually loyal to only one or the other.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
It's funny...each company spends millions of dollars on advertising for their cola product....but as the comedian says, "when you go through the drive thru to eat you just tell em "and whatever cola you have" very few people are actually loyal to only one or the other.

actually, I'm a pretty loyal Pepsi drinker... Pepsi or Mt Dew almost every time. If I'm out eating, then I'll have Tea over soda.

I do drink Coke sometimes though, just for something different, but mainly Pepsi.

WorldWatcher is right, I too think it's a problem with the local bottlers there.... maybe, who knows.. it won't deter me from drinking it...

* gulps down another Pepsi *

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul

from ENN
[........]
The companies challenged the findings in court and a judge ordered tests.

Later, India's health minister announced the results of the court-ordered tests that showed nine out of 12 soft drinks produced by the Coca-Cola and PepsiCo operators in India did not meet European Union safety standards for pesticide residue, but were considered safe under local standards.

I new that drinking those drinks is not really healthy, there is even expression that coke is the best remedy for rust
But pesticides??? What the heck pesticides are doing there, anyone knows???

[edit on 7-12-2004 by jazzgul]

I would think the bottlers would use the same water? supply as the 3 non-pesticide bottles tested.
It is reasonable to think, the populations that are living in a toxic environment of pesticide residue, have built up an ?immunity?...resistence?
...what may be toxic for the avg EU citizen might be very diluted, and not even mildly discomforting to an India resident.
OK, now that a problem has been found, let them fix it !(lawsuits?)
Let the Buyer Beware...or whatever their Surgeon General warns...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I only drink diet...27 teaspoons of sugar in a 12 oz can of soda
and I like Pepsi, as coke "makes me burp" ::::said in my best Fred Sanford voice:::: LOL But I do know many, many people that really have no preference as to which one....

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I new that drinking those drinks is not really healthy, there is even expression that coke is the best remedy for rust But pesticides??? What the heck pesticides are doing there, anyone knows???

I would think it is the local water supply facility being dirty and or possible residual pesticides from spraying of the corn.

I say the corn because I doubt sugar cane is grown in India and most sugar used in Coke and Pepsi is now High fructose (better known as corn Syrup)

India is also known for bad water quality

NEW DELHI, India: Mar 07 (PNS)- India ranks a poor 120 in a list of 122 countries ranked for their water quality as also their ability and commitment to improving its quality in World Water Development Report.

www.paknews.com...

Now how on earth can they expect good quality Coke or Pepsi when they rank 120 out of 122 when it comes to the quality of their water?

[edit on 12/7/2004 by shots]

[edit on 12-18-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I wonder in locally procuced Indian sodas also have to carry the warning. There is a great deal of acrimony between Pepsi, Coke and the local companies. I just wonder if this isn't a bid to stop market share from bleeding out.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
But from what my Great Grandfather F.W. Truluck wrote, he owned shares in Coke back in 1907 through 1935, mostly pre IPO stock, the original recipe for Coke was derived from an old woman's furniture polish recipe.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
the contamination is from the water source that the bottling company uses to spray and sterolize (or not) the bottles prior to packaging with the soda product. Its in the line PRIOR to the filling of the GLASS bottles with soda. So its not technically the soda itself but residue from the water used to sterolize the bottles.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
the contamination is from the water source that the bottling company uses to spray and sterolize (or not) the bottles prior to packaging with the soda product. Its in the line PRIOR to the filling of the GLASS bottles with soda. So its not technically the soda itself but residue from the water used to sterolize the bottles.

I understand what you are saying, but I think you missed my pint, that is if your answer was directed at my reply.

What I was getting at is they have one of or close to the worst supplies of water according to the UN. The product itself is made up of at least if not more the 98% water, the spray really does not play a part in the issue. Granted it is a possible theory as to how the bottles could get contaminated and inturn contaminate the product inside
however in this case I do not think it can be the actual cause.

I am sure you have heard the phrase garbage in garbage out, right? Well if you put 98 percent bad water in you get 98 bad water out. That is an exaggeration on my part, but I think you get my point.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

In other words, it's okay to drink the pesticide-contaminated water, as long as there is no Coke or Pepsi in it.

This is a very straightforward case of using the courts to attempt to stifle trade. As with all such cases, it will eventually backfire in some way or another.

In the meantime, the patent absurdity of this story is presented for the rest of the world to laugh at.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
But from what my Great Grandfather F.W. Truluck wrote, he owned shares in Coke back in 1907 through 1935, mostly pre IPO stock, the original recipe for Coke was derived from an old woman's furniture polish recipe.

I Have never heard that one before, but I have heard that the original receipe actually contained coc aine it in. Believe it or not, that game from a History Channel special on Coke and Pepsi.

"The original recipe for Coca Cola contained not caffeine but coc aine and it was advertised as a medicinal drink. Nowadays Coca Cola still contains coca leaf extracts, but the coc aine is removed and caffeine is added instead. "

www.taima.org...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I just poured a glass of coke sat down and saw this thread
oh well it can't be that bad for you.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

actually, I'm a pretty loyal Pepsi drinker... Pepsi or Mt Dew almost every time. If I'm out eating, then I'll have Tea over soda.

I do drink Coke sometimes though, just for something different, but mainly Pepsi.

WorldWatcher is right, I too think it's a problem with the local bottlers there.... maybe, who knows.. it won't deter me from drinking it...

* gulps down another Pepsi *

Man you really have to watch that Mt Dew, that stuff can kill ya. One member of the Eagles overdosed on it one time during set up for the 4th of July parade. I assume it is the caffine in it but not sure. I have also heard that a drink, I think it is called Jolt (do not hold me to the product name) can do the very same.

Yup a quick google search with "overdose " caffine" Pulled tons of responses all listing pepsi, coke and Mt Dew. Darn guess I better stick to scotch huh?

[edit on 12/7/2004 by shots]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
One would think that instead of a warning label, that the government would have called for that to be pulled. Maybe make the process the product better ...

Human life is expendable in lue of profit, I guess.

*Z*

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Sometimes CocaCola sometimes WAR.!!!...

Ramshtein..

dh

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I only drink diet...27 teaspoons of sugar in a 12 oz can of soda
and I like Pepsi, as coke "makes me burp" ::::said in my best Fred Sanford voice:::: LOL But I do know many, many people that really have no preference as to which one....

You only drink Diet. Well the original probably only sends your pancreas into spasms and builds fat around the midriff and creates mood-swings, but the Diet?????
Now isn't the Justice League sponsoring a suit against Coca Cola and Pepsi as well as many other promoters of Aspartame in their drinks and products
Never mind the Indians being typically poisoned by Coke
What about the Western consumers being poisoned most paticularly by diet drinks
The dread hand of Rumsfeld is in here, as historically chairman of Searle

top topics

<<   2 >>

join