It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Binaural/3D music, 3D immersion and...Futurama?

page: 1

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:14 PM
I am fascinated by this technology; the ability to trick the human brain into thinking it's being 'surrounded' by music or that the music is in your head. We all know music can affect your emotions, but what if it can literally change them? I believe that music as we traditionally perceive it (through sung words, physical/digital instruments) will cease to exist. I envision some day having emotions readily available in digital format for when you wish to feel them, completely bypassing what we now know as 'music.' An example of this theory is the research that's currently being conducted into readily affecting emotions through music:

Mind Stereo

Through a combination of research into brain waves and binaural frequency recordings, moods and certain emotions can be felt with the click of a few buttons. Wanna feel happy? Plug in your headphones, or integrated eyephone with earpiece and take a digital chill pill.

With the introduction of 3D and virtual immersion technology such as the Oculus Rift/Virtuix Omni or 3D televisions, we are approaching ever closer to the Matrix scenario. If we follow that logic, and continue to progress down this road, what awaits us? I believe some day we shall see online gaming, and perhaps even life itself in a virtual environment (if it's not already; perhaps we're in a virtual simulation of a virtual simulation, of a virtual inception scenario). If we can find a way to harness our conscious and perhaps even transfer it, what could we accomplish?

I could already see gender frustrated individuals transferring their bodies into the opposite sex, other confused individuals such as furries wanting animal bodies (rocket racoon?), or perhaps we would bypass this as a whole and place ourselves into android bodies...with your original body being preserved and hung up like a metaphorical coat. The Exo from Destiny come to mind when thinking along these lines. The human body itself is technically an organic machine. Transferring to a similarly built body (with higher specs of course) is not completely out of the question.

I realize much of this will probably be considered fringe logic, but it all seems possible with how quickly technology is advancing. I am unsure whether I want to live long enough to see it through it's course though. Much of it is frightening, especially with how the definition of life comes into question and how much of our traditional views on the human body begin to be shaken. Could you imagine being enslaved by a hacker who could jack your consciousness? Mass media corporations taking hold of your mind and filling it with ads? The episode of Futurama 'Fishful of Dollars' comes to mind where Fry's dream is infiltrated with underwear ads.

How about you? Would you want to become part of the cloud? Would you want your consciousness transferred into something else? Share your thoughts ATS.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:46 PM
a reply to: Septimus

Well, people might not be very aware of this but like you said, IT IS HAPPENING sooner or later. Whether or not I would like to be part of it? I think we all might be part of it already
Just don`t know it yet. Enslaved or not is a good question that I`m also eager to find out. But as far as our civilization goes, you can count on being enslaved once this tech comes on the market.

Still, if I had a chance I would like to experience flying first hand, in maybe a bird like body that has aerodynamics perfected, not like jet packs or some similar #.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:53 PM
Well, I listen to 3D positive affirmations sometimes where the recorder has severeal microphone set up in a circle and walks around the room speaking.

In my tranciest beats, I emulate this with synthesizers and instruments via stereo shaping, panning reverb, delay, and volume control. It's quite brilliant. Anything that is odd to the brain will capture its attention and most likely cause a change in mood and feeling, kind of like when heavy bass or pumpy kicks hit with my heart murmur, I can go into a mini panic attack thinking my heart is stopping.

I would link a bunch of stuff, but ATS doesn't log in on my computer.

I also don't believe in the Matrix scenario coming to play from this. If anything, we are just creating audio illusions the brain can hallucinate from, not actually changing how matter works. Remember, we can only create what the laws that govern our universe allow us to. We just haven't reached anywhere near the limits of our universe yet.
edit on 0149k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:25 PM
I think an awesome movie not many people know about is Existenz, a film by David Cronenberg.

It is about virtual reality technology which is indistinguishable from reality.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:50 AM
An end to music just because of emotions? Thats laughable and insulting. Music is more than that.

3D sound also known by a fancier name is pretty cool though. Ive heard audio that simulates torture or voices of being schizophrenic. Also more pleasant things like a flirty girl being playful.

I find Isochronic tones more effective than biaural beats but still quite minimal effects in comparison to well made music. You dont experience frission from brainwave entrainment.

Ive also been trying to investigate ASMR not quite i grasp it yet or im not effected by it yet as i found my triggers.

I dont see how this translates to a matrix type thing. Only way you can do that is to make someone forget all their past or make the simulation mundane and same as it was before entering it. But still that doesnt make up for sense of body movement lacking.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 07:41 AM
What Binaural beats have to do with music and emotions?

I use them for several years now and to be honest i don't see a big effect, only that i m calm and relaxed and see things more clearly. But nothing like wooodooo.

BB or Isochronic are just beats hidden in the music that bring your brain in different state of brainwaves. And by some logic by training your brain to all that states, brain can easy get in and out or switch between states.

And in music you listen to the sound. Classic music is amazing. But all other crap that is made in last 20 years is not worth your ears.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:45 AM
a reply to: Aural

How so? Music is created through a mixture of inspiration, emotion, and memory all pertaining to the brain. There is actually a field of cognitive neuroscience that studies music and how it's created, effects, and changes our thought processes. I believe through further study in this field, a connection can be made between specific sounds and specific changes in the brain. In the cookie cutter society we live in (at least in the US) where the easiest path is the one often chosen, it doesn't seem impossible to abandon the effort of creating music when you can achieve the same effect with a 5 minute session of 'Happiness on Tap.'

Admittedly, this speculation is flawed in the sense that there are also messages and intention sent through music. The spoken/sung word is sharper than the mightiest sword and whatnot, but how does it fit into the future? Subliminal messaging could easily fit into this spectrum I think. If we ever get to the point where we can alter mental state through subtle sounds, then I think it would be wholly possible to also affect personality and thoughts. This is also flawed in the sense that if the person is not willing to accept whatever they're hearing, they are far less likely to be effected by it, which essentially rules out any hopes of frisson or instantaneous changes. Perhaps someday though there will be a more direct approach, after all, there are still infrasonic frequencies like the brown note

As far as relating to the matrix scenario, if it can be done audibly, it can be done visually. The term '3D' just sounds so intrusive to me. As we further our understanding of how the human body works, we are capable of manipulating it more and more. If we keep poking around with the brain enough, we may find ourselves in just that sort of world; where thoughts, vision, and hearing is all simulated. Don't get me wrong, I'm not encouraging such a future, merely pondering it.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:48 PM
a reply to: Septimus

Thats like saying photography will end painting. It didnt. Music is art not a tech drug even though it can have effects like it. It shows how little you respect music to think its to be made obsolete. Its like you wish for a dystopian future. Making music is enjoyable and listening to it is too. It will never die.

Yes it is flawed. Lyrics have meaning different for different people and different people and its audio qualities are not just emotional outputs like a machine, they are felt in the body and produce many more sensations and thoughts these thoughts are unique to individuals. Its not data input into them.

No the brown note is a myth. Just no.

You sound like someone trying to sell mind control technology.

Sure stuff like that could exist hypothetically but if its just sound its limited and even if it wasnt music wouldnt die.

new topics