It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

License Plate Readers appear Overnight on Interstate 5...Not a word to the Public.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho

I work as a private investigator for a large insurance company overseas and there is a new device out, I saw on German TV, a guy walks up to your car with a briefcase, stands next to your car as if he is looking for the keys and within a few seconds the door locks unlock and if the vehicle has a push button ignition system simply push the ignition button and off he goes with the car. This device also can block GPS tracking devices.

The guy was from Austria and stated this device could be built for approx 100 Euros (maybe it was a bit more but not expensive to build. I also think he has a patent on it.

immobilzer systems are easy to get around and bypass.

edit on 22-9-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
In my city on every single intersection pole there is AT LEAST 2 other devices in place besides the cameras...idk what they even are.

And does anybody else find it odd how the cameras are never aimed at the street corners; but rather directly into the windshields of passing cars?

To send out speeding tickets automatically, they need high-res pictures of the driver, the car and the number plates. As distance doubles, the area covered by each pixel is reduced by a half. If you start with a CCD sensor with a 45 degree field of view, at 1 meter, 1024 pixels = 1 pixel/millimeter, 10 meters, 1 pixel = 1 cm.

Modern cameras don't need one giant lens, they can combine lots of smaller lenses:

sfcitizen.com...
edit on 22-9-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
We should catalog and identify all the different devices that appear.

You never see the guy installing these things.

Maybe, we should catalog the trucks as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Actually the do own the tax payer that will be forwarding the bill for the cameras and readers to know how much is going to cost them.

So yes they have to tell.

After all this days it seems that the police state just take and take without consent and bill the tax payers as it see fit.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Guess the governments aren't bankrupt after all if they got the kind of money to spend on a wholesale reenactment of '1984'.

What's the word on getting your stolen car back? Or do the goons keep it permanently as 'evidence'?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

The second, which makes up most car thefts is an insurance scam, where, the car thieves (a) ask some random person, friend or acquaintance (b), "Hey, can I steal your car?"

And that would be wrong, because most stolen cars are taken without the owners knowledge.

I can say that I have known some car thieves and know for a fact they wouldn't ask someone if they can steal their car, because that get's you caught.

gets in and takes the car to either 1. chop shop, or 2. temp location to possible remove some security equipment from the car, (lowjack), which will then end up on a container ship to be sent to Africa or Eastern Europe to sell the car for double its new price tag value. (Certain places its a lot for any car, new or used.)

And how many chop shops do you know around you, because the normal law abiding citizens do not know where a chop shop is...because again that get's you caught. And as far as them selling these cars...yes they do but again most of those who have had their cars stolen aren't just letting people steal them for insurance fraud.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but that percentage of US citizens is very, very small.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
You Americans are so behind the times, We in the UK have had them the length and breadth of the country for over 10 years now...We call them the Yellow Vultures.

A great many "Americans", particularly those over the age of 30 aren't used to being treated as "Subjects".

However, based upon what I read, the Millennial generation have been sufficiently indoctrinated through the education system that they believe that privacy is near a bad thing. Thus they embrace self-publication and welcome "tracking" as a mechanism that makes them feel safer. In fact, they've grown up in a system that near tracks them 24/7 through their smart phones, so they don't know anything different. The future belongs to the young so when I see these stories about tracking systems on the interstate highways, my response is, "meh, who cares?". The youth don't care and its their future and they're country. Those who've never lived "free" don't know what they're missing. The rest of us just fade into the background.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If it helps catch criminals then I think it's good.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

We got these in the UK in the past few years.

Suddenly appeared on every single major road into, and out of, all our towns and cities. ANPR cameras are everywhere these days. Fair enough if they were just used to catch out unlicensed, untaxed drivers and death-trap vehicles...is that where it ends?

They've been used to identify suspects in counter-terrorism programs where a license plate is tagged and monitored wherever it travels. Not a bad thing as long as the 'terrorists' are actual terrorists and not just political protesters.

'Trapwire?

When Trapwire hit the news, it was the one time when the stories disappeared from the mainstream media outlets in Australia and the UK. Links became dead within weeks.

It's possible that the 'front-of-store' is good old-fashioned law-enforcement, but what goes on out back is something way more sophisticated.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
the only people that fear these camera's are the ones that drive without insurance .

if you get hit by one of these people , you have to claim on your own insurance and then your insurance goes up
so you are out of pocket because of no fault of your own .

as a earlier post said we in the uk have had them for years and i think they are a good thing .

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tom.farnhill
the only people that fear these camera's are the ones that drive without insurance .

if you get hit by one of these people , you have to claim on your own insurance and then your insurance goes up
so you are out of pocket because of no fault of your own .

as a earlier post said we in the uk have had them for years and i think they are a good thing .

If that's all they use them for we would agree.

They seem to be using them as an electronic unwarranted search.

It's overreach for local LE. At least, that is my opinion.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: danielsil18

That attitude scares the hell out of me.

May I suggest some casual reading ?

Start with Article IV of the Bill of Rights.
edit on 22-9-2014 by whyamIhere because: Screwed up my Roman Numerals

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Start with Article VI of the Bill of Rights.

You lost me on that one,
How does this violate article 6?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

originally posted by: whyamIhere

Start with Article VI of the Bill of Rights.

You lost me on that one,
How does this violate article 6?

Thanks, I fixed it.
edit on 22-9-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

There's no such thing as a "stolen car" anymore, ever since they put immobilizer chips in, which are mandatory in North America now (I believe).

Not unless you only consider North America to only consist of Canada.

Immobilisers have been mandatory in all new cars sold in Germany since 1 January 1998, in the United Kingdom since 1 October 1998, in Finland since 1998, in Australia since 2001 and in Canada since 2007. (Source)

According to the FBI, there were 721,053 motor vehicle thefts in 2012, which is a heck of a lot more than zero.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Every time I see a thread where the government finds a new way to track people in public, I see ATSers complaining about privacy rights infringement. Sorry, but privacy doesnt exist in public. If you're so scared of being tracked, how about you stop doing wrong and then you'll have nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3
Every time I see a thread where the government finds a new way to track people in public, I see ATSers complaining about privacy rights infringement. Sorry, but privacy doesnt exist in public. If you're so scared of being tracked, how about you stop doing wrong and then you'll have nothing to worry about.

I feel like that too.

I'm just not going to sacrifice Liberities that were paid for in blood.

So many people have given all so we are free from being constantly searched and logged.

The very idea that anyone is tracking you in a Free Nation should give everyone pause.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Yes they do and its not the states its the peoples,

we agree to pay taxes in order for governments to do the things we don't want to do, to run things for us this has been hijacked by sick putrid scum that call themselves elites who blackmail and bribe all of the governments if they haven't put there own families into these positions.
I have some amazing photos of virtually all the politicians that ran the NSW government taken by a friend of mine who was working for abe saffron, all the photos were taken of politicians doing some disgusting things with prostitutes in order for them to be blackmailed by whoever needed something doing. once you have seen these photos you start to think that all politicians are chosen because they are filth and no other reason how hard would it be to push various people with certain tastes into government by giving them certain marks in exams and certain jobs. there is stuff we should all know about who is running our country

trust me if you put politicians and company directors on an mri scanner and ask them certain questions then the world would change overnight

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
We've got cameras and all sorts of gizmos on corners of major streets.
Supposedly they are all for better traffic flow....yeah right.

Which is worse though?
Mounted for all to see?
Or, mounted on top of police cars??
www.freep.com...

The four small cameras blend in with the overhead lights on top of Macomb County Sheriff’s Deputy Derek Elsey’s patrol car.

But the little infrared devices can do big things — capturing the license plate numbers of passing cars and continuously running them through a database, letting Elsey know if there is a “hit” on a possible stolen car or wanted suspect.

While license plate readers aren’t standard equipment for law enforcement agencies, their use is growing in Michigan and in other states.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I actually find them being on a cop car a lot less of an issue.

The only real issue I have with these being used is that they can track movement of an individual. The stationary ones (depending on how many there are) would be better at that then a cop car that goes all over the place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join