It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Construction Company Plans to Have Space Elevator Working by 2050

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Japanese construction giant Obayashi believe that carbon nanotechnology is developing quickly enough that a space elevator may be a reality as early as 2050, and they plan to be the first to make one, according to ABC News Australia.

The Obayashi space elevator would essentially be a magnetic track, made of carbon nanotubes, that would lead to a space station approximately 96,000 kilometers (59,000 miles) above the equator, according to Obayashi research and development manager Yoji Ishikawa.

“The tensile strength [of carbon nanotubes] is almost a hundred times stronger than steel cable so it’s possible.Right now we can’t make the cable long enough. We can only make 3-centimetre-long nanotubes but we need much more… we think by 2030 we’ll be able to do it.”

So, this is pretty exciting! Even though it's a long time from now-35yrs. By that time, things on Earth will be totally different judging by all of the technological developments in the pipeline. What does ATS think about this development? Good idea?

www.inquisitr.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I could not help but think of the simpsons escalator to nowhere lol.

None the less this is interesting to say the least.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
[sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com...]

I Can't Figure Out How to Get the Picture to Show! But it's South Park Screen Shot of the Japaneses Ladder to Heaven.
edit on nd26Mon, 22 Sep 2014 10:26:20 -0500K201492030am9 by SirKonstantin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I personally think that somekind of 3d printer could do the same job in about 5 years of nonstop work, It would be awesome to see a 3d steel printer, and Im sure its not too far in the future.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
What about space junk? Wouldn't it fly right through any elevator? And by 2050 there will be a lot more floating around up there.

I would still probably take the ride lol but it seems dangerous.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Well, until they learn how to clean up after themselves radioactivity wise, I think they would be better off keeping their feet on the ground.

Just my two pence!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin
[sociorocketnewsen.files.wordpress.com...]

I Can't Figure Out How to Get the Picture to Show! But it's South Park Screen Shot of the Japaneses Ladder to Heaven.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

It is pretty cool but I thought they had already found a better replacement for carbon nanotubes. Anyway, a space elevator would truly make space exploration accessible because right now it requires far too much energy to put things into space.

BTW your last to threads have been a bit confusing because you are using the quote features backwards. You don't even need to quote your own words as the author of your own thread.

exnews is for quoting of site articles and print.

quote or the button that looks like this " is for quoting people in the thread. Of course it is your thread to do as you wish but I thought I should let you know.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I thnk its entirely doable. Once its in place, it would be an inexpensive way to move things into orbit. If they had a number of them positioned around the equator, there could be a manmade ring built, and launch spacecraft from there, elminating the need of ground based launching.
I hope this can be done in my lifetime, would love to see it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Yeah Right!!

What with Banboo

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I've been fascinated with the idea since I read Arthur C. Clarke's Fountains of Paradise as a teenager. This is an interesting story but it's not much new. Just like anyone else talking about space elevators (on Earth), they're still waiting for a suitable material from which to build a tether. That means something light with an extremely high tensile strength that can be manufactured in cables tens of thousands of miles long. Carbon nanotubes may eventually fit the bill but that would only be the first step. There are other engineering hurdles to overcome like wobble and susceptibility to vibration.

If the engineering can be made to work, there's still safety concerns from things like satellites/space junk and meteoroids and radiation. Then there is the politics of building a space elevator... I wouldn't say it's impossible but it's certainly not looking very plausible by 2050.

On the other hand, it would be much easier to build one on the Moon or even Mars. Lots of good information at ISEC.org.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
I thnk its entirely doable. Once its in place, it would be an inexpensive way to move things into orbit. If they had a number of them positioned around the equator, there could be a manmade ring built, and launch spacecraft from there, elminating the need of ground based launching.

I think I can one-up the man made, launching platform ring. Imagine if we used the lift to create a man made ring that was made of millions of copper wires.

The spinning of the Earth, in conjunction with our magnetic pole would create a gigantic dynamo. Boom, free energy

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well, until they learn how to clean up after themselves radioactivity wise, I think they would be better off keeping their feet on the ground.

The Japanese are always claiming they will accomplish something. Better than looking back at the messes they have created.

We do it, too. Just look at the future of Global Warming we seem to focus on.

Personally, it seems a space elevator concept remains elusive. We can't fly a kite in an electrical storm either.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Glassbender777
I personally think that somekind of 3d printer could do the same job in about 5 years of nonstop work, It would be awesome to see a 3d steel printer, and Im sure its not too far in the future.
There are 3d steel printers out there.

www.shapeways.com...
edit on 9/22/14 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The biggest question I have on how this will work is, what kind of music do you play in a space elevator? Most of the elevators I am in have terrible music! It is a long elevator ride to space so good music is a must I would think.....just sayin...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: BugOut that would have to be david bowie or pink floyd

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

It is pretty cool but I thought they had already found a better replacement for carbon nanotubes. Anyway, a space elevator would truly make space exploration accessible because right now it requires far too much energy to put things into space.

BTW your last to threads have been a bit confusing because you are using the quote features backwards. You don't even need to quote your own words as the author of your own thread.

exnews is for quoting of site articles and print.

quote or the button that looks like this " is for quoting people in the thread. Of course it is your thread to do as you wish but I thought I should let you know.

Thanks for that. I think it was late when I posted those last two threads.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

The spinning of the Earth, in conjunction with our magnetic pole would create a gigantic dynamo. Boom, free energy

Not entirely free, since the Earth's spin would be powering it. Earth energy you could call it. Eventually causing the Earth to lose its spin. Uh oh. Although, it would make summers much longer...

edit on 22-9-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It will not work:

Very high electrical potential from ground to the edge of space + electrically conductive carbon nanotubes = EPIC FAIL.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This is a thread about a futuristic business development, right? So Maybe this is not off topic:
My suggests to the company is two vastly different areas. One would be to toss out that wild, elevator concept and tend to local business that is polluting and killing the world. That's right! Japan's gigantic nuclear meltdown mess that for all intends and purposes at this present time is unsolvable. That would really be a nice gesture for the world, but commercially, I don't suppose it has any direct cost/benefit incentives to their profitability.

The other suggestion is quite the opposite to my first. They should hurry up and develop that new elevator technology so they can lift much of the people of central Japan away from contaminating areas and into a satellite space colony, hopefully one that is not nuclear powered in any fashion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join