It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska TV Reporter Quits on Air: ‘[Snip] It, I Quit’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
wonderful. that's bowing out in style.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Yeah, channel 11 is the red headed step child of Alaskan news, those that do not get KTUU get stuck with KTVA. Hahaha

That awesome, I'm sure she'll do just fine.

To be honest I like Maria Downey, and Jackie Purcell! Lol

Well..... #uck it! I'm done posting on ATS today

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: Strewth

Can anyone give me a damn good reason why its still illegal?

I know a few people who heavily used pot and they tell me they feel very strongly against legalization as use will rise.

My son in-law says it caused him to lack motivation and wasted years of his life. He is now a business owner a football coach and many other things that would never have happened while he was stoned all the time.

I have known pot users that could never hold a job and my husbands Family business has hired users that can't work responsibly.

I guarantee for every "I smoked pot and it made me waste my life" story you can come up with, I can provide 100 examples of people who smoke pot and are very successful.

Anecdotal evidence does not a trend make.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

Might have been "style" but it sure lacked "class".

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Nyiah
Honestly, it wouldn't have made any difference me if she had instead said "Screw it, I quit." The sentiment is the same, the F word just amplifies her feelings best. JMO.

Which EVERYONE in the industry knows is a no-no. She could have done this without the profanity. Hell, if I can do it here all day, she can do it for 20 seconds. Yes, I worked in the industry.

She said what she said for the shock factor and it worked. Look at the publicity she got from this.

It wasn't an emotional outburst in the moment... she planned it and her club will get a TON of support because of it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: Char-Lee

The same could be said for recovered alcoholics would wasted years of their lives in a drunken stupor, never realizing their full potential and holding down a good job.

Very true and drinking went way up especially for the young when it was legalized.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Honestly, it wouldn't have made any difference me if she had instead said "Screw it, I quit." The sentiment is the same, the F word just amplifies her feelings best. JMO.

Which EVERYONE in the industry knows is a no-no. She could have done this without the profanity. Hell, if I can do it here all day, she can do it for 20 seconds. Yes, I worked in the industry.

She said what she said for the shock factor and it worked. Look at the publicity she got from this.

It wasn't an emotional outburst in the moment... she planned it and her club will get a TON of support because of it.

Right. Selfish. The station will get a fine and they don't have the satisfaction of firing her for it. Children at home listening to it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

But courtesy and gratitude aren't going to stop me from telling a boss off that doesn't or never did respect me if a better opportunity comes along

I don't want to make assumptions

But you have assumed so much.

Would you need to share your feeling for your boss with the world?

When i am hired i know I was chosen from a large group of many others applying and yes I am grateful to be chosen and have a wage. An employer will also be grateful to have me because i am always a good worker. It goes both ways and i have employed 900 people so I know how it works I have been employed and have employed.

I would never be grateful to a McDonald's for hiring me and would tell them off in a second if a better job came along.

So they deserve to be told off simply because they hired you again how sad.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4

Might have been "style" but it sure lacked "class".

I tend to agree w/you -- but maybe for other reasons.

If this woman wants to garner respect and legitimacy for her cause -- spouting off like that certainly isn't a good way to go about earning it. IMO, I think she did a disservice to the pro-legalization people.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Right. Selfish. The station will get a fine and they don't have the satisfaction of firing her for it. Children at home listening to it.

So you side with the media giant on this? I'm sure that fine will really damage their profits for the quarter and boo hoo they don't get the satisfaction of telling HER to f*ck off... seriously?

Children at home have probably heard far worse while playing video games or watching Youtube videos. Why does every discussion devolve into "Oh the poor children! We must shelter them from real life!" Give me a break. You're fine with a child seeing the violence and shock of news stories but a 4-letter word is somehow going to ruin their life?

Your argument is weak.
edit on 9/22/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/22/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Nope, I side with decency. And etiquette. And as far as what kids hear at home, as a parent, I want them to hear what I want them too. Not this selfish girl or you.

THAT isn't weak.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I am kind of late posting on this story; I've been around the neighborhood having coffee and of course talking about the way she quit and why. She is getting lots of atta boys U Go girls from our village!

The times, they are a change'n!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Nope, I side with decency. And etiquette. And as far as what kids hear at home, as a parent, I want them to hear what I want them too. Not this selfish girl or you.

THAT isn't weak.

Your control won't last forever. Hearing the f-word on TV is just as much real-life as they're eventually going to encounter so now you get to have the talk with them a little earlier. The fantasy world you create for your kids eventually crumbles no matter how hard you try so using that as an excuse is, as I said before, weak.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

So YOU want to dictate what my kids see and hear? Metaphorically speaking, as mine are all adults now. But is this what you're saying?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

When i am hired i know I was chosen from a large group of many others applying and yes I am grateful to be chosen and have a wage.

Clearly she thinks more highly of herself and her abilities than you do.

Employment isn't as precious as you make it out to be. This woman obviously chose to pursue something she is passionate about instead of continuing with a job that made her unhappy. The fact that she chose to end it in such a way likely indicates that there was something going on that upset her and we don't know what that was. Her exit was planned for publicity but also seems to be a retaliation for some sort of problem with her employer. She is doing what she wants with her life and that is what everyone SHOULD do.

I will never let the fear of the unknown stop me from doing what I want with my life nor will I think so lowly of myself that I will stay in a job I don't like just because I should be "grateful that I have one when so many people don't."

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Good for her...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

What's funny as that having grown up in Anchorage, AK... Born in 81 & now live in Michigan is that Alaska was the FIRST STATE to have Marijuana legal in many situations, none doctor related. Since 1975 it's a little known fact that a 19 year old+ can grow up to 25 plants legally in their own home. It's 100% legal. So is having up to 4ozs in your home, & using Marijuana in your own home. Most all other outside the home infractions are misdemeanors. Giving some one pot without renumeration (free) is also legal. The only time this law changed is in 2003 they reversed all of that making it all illegal, but a few months later a higher Court reversed the decision of the list court & restored it to all the legal things I mentioned above. Alaska has been ahead of the game for about 30 years. All they need do now is make it completely legal which WILL HAPPEN SOON. The chips were always so lax when I was growing up I got caught smoking cigarettes 3-4 times from 13-16yrs old & always had weed on me, EVERY TIME THEY JUST SMASHED THE WEED ON THE GROUND & TOOK MY SMOKES, NO TICKETS, NOTHING. I moved to Michigan in 1996 & things down here are way different, people go to jail for pot use, selling small quantities etc... They need to take a look at Alaska. One of the richest, clean, pollution free, mountain water from the tap, beautiful & you get paid about $3,000 every November for being an Alaskan Citizen (tax free from oil revenue) plus the economy is always booming, minimum wage is like $11 for even waitresses & pizza delivery. Any recession that his this country has no affect on Alaska. You wouldn't even know one was happening unless you turned on the news. It is one of the largest growing populations in the USA from tourist visiting then deciding to stay. There is so many job openings it's crazy & the money is fantastic. While other world in that state compared to the lower 48 & no the cost of living isn't really that much higher. If you can put up with the cold it's paradise.

Link: norml.org...
norml.org...
edit on 9/22/2014 by anathema777 because: spell check

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Ha!

What a fantastic way to drum up support too!

Clever marketing tactic, well done Mai'm. You keep fighting that good fight.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: anathema777

Sounds like you want to come back up here

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

But you have assumed so much.

Like what?

Would you need to share your feeling for your boss with the world?

Depends on how s#y a boss he is.

When i am hired i know I was chosen from a large group of many others applying and yes I am grateful to be chosen and have a wage. An employer will also be grateful to have me because i am always a good worker. It goes both ways and i have employed 900 people so I know how it works I have been employed and have employed

Congratulations and I hope that you are a decent boss so things like the OP don't happen to you.

So they deserve to be told off simply because they hired you again how sad.

I've never worked for McDonald's so there is no "again" to be said. I have worked for KFC and am familiar with the fast food restaurant work ethic and it is NOT a job to be thankful over. It is a brutal environment where the demands and expectations don't match up with the pay. The only reason that people put up with that is because they are considered entry level jobs for teenagers (though that is rapidly changing these days) to gain work experience or extra spending money.

You can pity this poor news station all you want, but they have probably already made great steps in hiring a new person to fill her shoes. You can disagree with her all you want, but I have no problem telling off the people who held your shackles of servitude this whole time once you are financially independent (or just give a rat's ass anymore). I don't live to make other people rich. I live to make myself and my family happy. So I could care less hurting my employer's feelings. I'm sure that all that extra money my boss earns(ed) over me will help him sleep better in light of whatever I may or may not say upon quitting.

But hey if you like being grateful for being a wage slave, feel free to drop down and kiss your boss's shoes every time you see him while saying "thank you for a job!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join