It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Salmond blasted over claim that Scotland could declare independence without need for another re

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: Korg Trinity

I truly hope you get devolution. The yes support was never about being anti English, although those idiots are the bane of everyone. It was a vote against Westminster for most.

And why exactly?

We all know that Scotland is a Labour Stronghold.... but really a yes vote for Scottish independence to get rid of a conservative government in Westminster is a bit like a Doctor killing the patient to cure their illness.

Korg.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: stuthealien
and i havnt even mentioned the oil yet lolol.

You would only get 8% of that oil. Hardly enough to form a state around.

Let's Clarify something here...

Scotland doesn't own the oil in the north Sea.... It belongs to the oil companies.... The UK taxes the Oil companies for extraction.

This essentially means that even the 8% that Scotland would be entitled to is not the 8% the Scottish have been led to believe..... it's only the TAX of 8% of the revenues generated.

If Scotland believed they could establish an economy on the revenues received on that, then they are yet again proving themselves to be clueless!

Korg.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

I had many conversations with " Yes " voters here on ATS, that Salmond was splitting the Scottish people.
I stated that if the " No " vote won the referendum , the other side would find it hard to accept the result.

All the " Yes " voters i spoke with said that would never happen. The country would come together as one
The contrary is now up and running.

Congratulations Mr Salmond, you have done a fantastic job of dividing your country.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

I had many conversations with " Yes " voters here on ATS, that Salmond was splitting the Scottish people.
I stated that if the " No " vote won the referendum , the other side would find it hard to accept the result.

All the " Yes " voters i spoke with said that would never happen. The country would come together as one
The contrary is now up and running.

Congratulations Mr Salmond, you have done a fantastic job of dividing your country.

The best part of it is that Certainly from those that can genuinely see through the issues and have stood up and warned the Scottish of what it would truly mean for them... An action of Friendship! Most have spat in my face with such disdain!

If the rest of the UK wished Harm on Scotland and it's people we would all be saying yep vote yes!

Now of course we are left with a very nasty taste in our mouths!

Korg.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

as to no jobs thanks to the internet geographical locatations for buisnesses are no longer important so scotland could give a tax incentive for buisnesses to relocate in scotland,,i.e less v.a.t .then say germany and england

Ok you lower the taxes.....the how do you pay for your social programs like free prescriptions and Uni as you just created a money hole.

and i havnt even mentioned the oil yet lolol.

You would only get 8% of that oil. Hardly enough to form a state around.

ok how about with thislink
scotland exports power to
edit on 22-9-2014 by stuthealien because: was messed up

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Korg Trinity

I truly hope you get devolution. The yes support was never about being anti English, although those idiots are the bane of everyone. It was a vote against Westminster for most.

And why exactly?

We all know that Scotland is a Labour Stronghold.... but really a yes vote for Scottish independence to get rid of a conservative government in Westminster is a bit like a Doctor killing the patient to cure their illness.

Korg.

It wasn't all about a Conservative government although that argument was lauded. Most people are fed up with Westminster. The Labour party will be swept away by the SNP at the next election. They are in decline up here although it is a long drawn out process.
Let's be honest the Labour Party sort of died with New Labour. Perhaps some that voted for the SNP aren't really voting for independence but prefer them in government to any of the others.

I support devolution for England because I can't be a hypocrite, all that stuff should have been sorted out years ago anyway. I don't think the SNP got involved in those matters.

Regards Midicon.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
get a grip! there was less than 400,000 votes in it, in an election thats almost to close to call.
Scotland wanted Independence 200 years ago, my ancestors fought and died in those battles, so you could go on about how good it is to be ruled by the crown.
I think the problem is Scots need to be reminded of who we are, where we come from, of the injustices that have been done to us in the past.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

OK and what about the other 55%

you just gonna ignore them...

How long would it be before sectarian violence would start...

I do believe some groups would start to use violence by any means and it would escalate.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ezappa
a reply to: swanne

OK and what about the other 55%

you just gonna ignore them...

How long would it be before sectarian violence would start...

I do believe some groups would start to use violence by any means and it would escalate.

It was started on Friday by this rent-a-Mob in case you didn't notice.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
You know the vote was rigged right ?

the snp won by a landslide the reason why the yes votes were pictured on the no table was there was barely any no votes to begin with .

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I see Putin is advising him now.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrmcleod
Alex Salmond cares very much about Scotland. Its the No voters that don't care about Scotland. trying to destroy democracy??? What as opposed to the London Elite????

Interesting Reasons on Why We Need a Revote

Who do you think the London elite really are? They are the New Labour MP's who moved down south. They've brainwashed the Glasgow population into believing that London is holding them back, and that only they are the ones that can secure a fair deal for them. For the poor souls trapped in the high-rise blocks and can only dream of owning their own home, there isn't any escape. So there is high drug abuse and depression. London is desperate for workers.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

And why exactly?

Korg.

Not the whole of Scotland, just the high-density council estates and high-rise blocks, where the residents are desperate to get away from those "problem neighbors". There's a slow program to demolish the high-rise blocks, and every one demolished is a few thousand less Labour voters. But there are around 1100 such blocks in Glasgow. They never really benefited from the right-to-buy.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: the2010apprentice

What has is got to do with Rangers?

Are you another catholic bigot who is scaring this nation?

Also your comment about foreigners sounds xenophobic to me, if they live here, have jobs and own property their point of view is as valid as yours.

There was no bias that I could see and your accusations of bribery marks you out as not only a bad loser but also as somebody who didn't' understand the debate.
edit on 22/9/2014 by Uncertainty because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18445976]jrmcleod[/

I've seen plenty of evil in Scotland from the corrupt city councils to the pro catholic governance, I don't want to live in an independent country where this would flourish.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

And if this ever came to pass you can guarantee your isolation on the global stage....

Er... Why?

We are talking about Scotland. I think even Martians know about Scotland.

Its cry for independence was heard all throughout the World, and supported by so many wannabe nations (including Quebec). Scotland has friends.

I wonder if Scotland had voted Yes where those friends would be as it economically shriveled to the size of a prune.

Korg.

Seeing how what is it 2/3rds of Britain's oil reserves is in Scotland they could get along ok when it comes to the economy. Small wonder why England was so against letting Scotland go.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: aightism2

Utter nonsense, out all the people I spoke to, most said they would vote No.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sectarian violence may be likely when the Scottish government strongly prefers 18% of the population to the majority.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: swanne

And if this ever came to pass you can guarantee your isolation on the global stage....

Er... Why?

We are talking about Scotland. I think even Martians know about Scotland.

Its cry for independence was heard all throughout the World, and supported by so many wannabe nations (including Quebec). Scotland has friends.

I wonder if Scotland had voted Yes where those friends would be as it economically shriveled to the size of a prune.

Korg.

Seeing how what is it 2/3rds of Britain's oil reserves is in Scotland they could get along ok when it comes to the economy. Small wonder why England was so against letting Scotland go.

Please refer to my previous post...

Scotland would be entitled to the tax revenues of just 8% of the oil in the north sea.

Korg.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The most bizarre thing about this referendum; the two politicians who came out of this whole thing with their reputations enhanced - Alex Salmond and Gordon Brown.

Bizarre. Amazing. Beyond belief.

With increased devolved power Scotland probably would be able to move towards declaring themselves independent at some point in the future. It'd take a few years but it is feasible.
It'd probably end up in some kind of civil war but.......

I'm all for devolved power - to all the regions of the UK.

The politicians promised more power, they should deliver.
If they don't then the people of the UK, and I mean all the UK, should stand up and insist that they do.
If they still don't then we should remove them, forcibly if necessary, and introduce an electoral and legislative system that provides the levels of representation and accountability that we demand.

Unfortunately X Factor or Big Brother will probably be on that night and the British public will be otherwise engaged.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join