It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Salmond blasted over claim that Scotland could declare independence without need for another re

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
The true face of Alex Salmond and the SNP coming through.....

www.dailyrecord.co.uk...

THE First Minister shocked political rivals by suggesting that a parliament with stronger powers could unilaterally declare an end to the Union without the need for a vote.

“There are a number of political opportunities coming up. For many, many years, a referendum route wasn’t the chosen route of the Scottish National Party or Scotland. " "For many years, there was a gradual attitude to independence. "That is to say that you establish a parliament and you establish successively more powers until you have a situation where you’re independent in all but name, and then presumably you declare yourself to be independent.

The SNP could not care less about the people of Scotland. Trying to destroy democracy. I am glad i voted against these people, these comments reaffirm my decision not to vote yes to bring in this would be Dictator. As i said before in another thread, his friendship with Rupert Murdoch always bother me and his true face is beginning to show.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Alex Salmond cares very much about Scotland. Its the No voters that don't care about Scotland. trying to destroy democracy??? What as opposed to the London Elite????

Interesting Reasons on Why We Need a Revote

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: DrunkYogi

The SNP could not care less about the people of Scotland. Trying to destroy democracy.

But remember that Salmond would have the support of almost half of the Scottish people.

And also remember that the UK did promise something to the Scots for saying "no". To some "yesers", this is not democracy, it's financial influence.

edit on 22-9-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jrmcleod

How can anyone that wants to push aside the Democratic System of a country care about it's people?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

And what? It was a democratic vote and the NO vote won. Catch the word "Democratic" there! Are you seriously trying to tell me you would agree with this?
edit on 22-9-2014 by DrunkYogi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrunkYogi

The SNP could not care less about the people of Scotland. Trying to destroy democracy. I am glad i voted against these people, these comments reaffirm my decision not to vote yes to bring in this would be Dictator. As i said before in another thread, his friendship with Rupert Murdoch always bother me and his true face is beginning to show.

I think you're biased.

Alex Salmond had conceded defeat last week, and even applauded the high turnout for the democratic elections. He isn't trying to destroy democracy, and it is foolhardy to even suggest so.

He is correct in stating that a strong and technically independent parliament could declare sovereignty. Really, who is to stop them? Would England march up to the borders and attempt war in trying to keep them in the union? Will they just rebuild Hadrian's wall?

What is the point of remaining in a union if a nation is technically independent? That is what Salmond is saying, and that is what he means when he says that an independent parliament could technically declare sovereignty.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrmcleod
Alex Salmond cares very much about Scotland. Its the No voters that don't care about Scotland.

What a load of old rubbish. I'm a no voter. I care about Scotland. I want a strong Scotland as part of the UK. How hard is that to understand for you YES voters.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Just another NO Camper i see...

Well I have just joined the SNP Party today and im proud.

Always lived in Glasgow, Scotland and its a shock at the result put forward by my fellow people...

That is If you want to include the Rangers fans.. EDL, orange lodges, foreigners from across the borders who have lived here a few years and then been handed the ability to change 'our' great country.. but.. they got bribed into staying by most probably a great deal of 11th hour lies..after all we know what politicians do best.

I love England, n ireland , wales, and scotland and all that reside in each... but sometimes change is needed... and a hand back of power is needed for living in 2014... this aint 1700 no more. . we can handle ourselves without a doubt.

The tv and newspaper bias towards the no camp was totally horrendous.

edit on 22-9-2014 by the2010apprentice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

And what? It was a democratic vote and the NO vote won.

I am simply pointing out that paying people to say "no" is, in the dictionary of some, not democracy.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

How would it be destroying democracy if we would have to en masse elect a strong SNP government for them to have the powers to do so? We would have to elect them DEMOCRATICALLY.

I don't think you understand what a dictator is...
That's when they are not elected, kind of like when we were ruled by Gordon Brown for a while just because Tony Blair stepped down and Brown wouldn't give us a by election or like just now when we're ruled by a Tory Prime minister despite only a tiny percentage (no where near a half of the majority. ..) voting for him... that's closer to a dictator than what you are spouting. ..

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital

I think you're biased.

Alex Salmond had conceded defeat last week, and even applauded the high turnout for the democratic elections. He isn't trying to destroy democracy, and it is foolhardy to even suggest so.

He is correct in stating that a strong and technically independent parliament could declare sovereignty. Really, who is to stop them? Would England march up to the borders and attempt war in trying to keep them in the union? Will they just rebuild Hadrian's wall?

What is the point of remaining in a union if a nation is technically independent? That is what Salmond is saying, and that is what he means when he says that an independent parliament could technically declare sovereignty.

He suggested overriding Democracy not me, did you read his words?

Who is to stop a Holyrood declaring sovereignty? What about the people that voted NO! You know in a Democratic vote.

I must admit, i knew the YES voters had strong feeling's, but to stick up for a man and a party that is openly discussing destroying the Democratic process has shocked me!!!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Absolute garbage, when is a Democratic vote not Democratic? When the SNP say so?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Perhaps UK is not ready for a separation, and is doing anything in its power to prevent it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Alex Salmond cares very much about Scotland. Its the No voters that don't care about Scotland. trying to destroy democracy??? What as opposed to the London Elite????

Actually its the yes people that will destroy Scotland.

How would Scotland survive in a currently harsh and unforgiving world?

Your only hope would be joining the EU and then you would have Brussels calling the shots not Westminster.

You can certainly say goodbye to free prescriptions and free uni.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You may be right.

I keep on wondering how big is Scotland's military compared to the rest of UK, to Russia, to China.

Perhaps it is a wrong time for Scotland to separate.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I will tell you what, i made have started this thread but i am out of here already. To support anyone who talks about riding roughshod over Democracy is obscene and to be quite frank i am absolutely disgusted. This is my last post.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Absolute garbage, when is a Democratic vote not Democratic? When the SNP say so?

A democratic vote is not a democratic vote when Westminster pull out all the stops through propaganda, fear and bribes to swing a referendum.

Oxford University, Twitter and Facebook (to name but a few) are all shocked at the result. This was NEVER a No vote. But given that "democracy" has spoken (through bribes and fear) i will laugh in the No voters faces when we are no longer in Europe, have a private NHS costing each family hundreds of pounds a month in insurance and a couple more illegal wars to boot along with the raised levels of extreme terrorism in our cities and towns.

The No voter is closed minded and selfish...its as simple as that. They say they care about "Scotland" but if they truly cared about it they would see the evil the union has brought on this planet and try to put an end to it for their children. They would help provide a platform for their children and grandchildren to create a country to be proud of and that embraces all people and promotes opportunity for all, not just the well-off and privileged few.

No voters voted with their wallets, Yes voters voted through opportunity.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I think you're biased.

He suggested overriding Democracy not me, did you read his words?

Who is to stop a Holyrood declaring sovereignty? What about the people that voted NO! You know in a Democratic vote.

I must admit, i knew the YES voters had strong feeling's, but to stick up for a man and a party that is openly discussing destroying the Democratic process has shocked me!!!

He is not suggesting the overriding and destruction of democracy. He is making a theoretical point in that a technically independent nation with a technically independent parliament could declare sovereignty.

"That is to say that you establish a parliament and you establish successively more powers until you have a situation where you’re independent in all but name, and then presumably you declare yourself to be independent.

By the way, i'm neither a 'yes' or 'no' voter. I'm not a Scot, although my ancestral roots do find their place in Scotland. I fly the Saltire in my avatar in support of Scotland and the independence movement.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Actually its the yes people that will destroy Scotland.

How would Scotland survive in a currently harsh and unforgiving world?

Your only hope would be joining the EU and then you would have Brussels calling the shots not Westminster.

You can certainly say goodbye to free prescriptions and free uni.

Ehhhh...OK!

Afraid that's all i can muster. I am getting fed up of the ignorance surrounding this matter...it really is quite astounding!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Really, who is to stop them? Would England march up to the borders and attempt war in trying to keep them in the union? Will they just rebuild Hadrian's wall?

One might hope that common sense would prevail...

No We the ENGLISH would not come knocking on your door.... but you might have to answer to the majority of other Scots who voted NO!

NO country should have the right to seek such constitutional changes without the consent of it's population, NONE!

And if this ever came to pass you can guarantee your isolation on the global stage.... Scotland will become inhabitable for all expect doomsday preppers!

Korg.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join