It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marchers sound urgent call for climate change action ahead of U.N. summit

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cynic
a reply to: amazing

I enjoy a walk in the fresh air as much as anyone my friend. I just think that most of the hypocrites that are marching in parades have forgotten that climate change is a natural process. The Earth has been much warmer and much colder in the past an no amount of paper shuffling, hand wringing and marching in the street will change that. Natural processes are just that. Natural. To believe that humans can change them is simply arrogant to the extreme. Eco-weenies notwithstanding.

Oh there are natural changes in climate for a vast number of reasons and cycles, I agree. However, we do know that we humans can have a huge impact on earths ecosystems, life forms, geography and climate and more. We don't know how much. There is actual valid scientific research that is looking into this. People smarter than us with just as much ethics, honesty and good sense even think that we are influencing climate warming with our actions independent of any of those natural cycles. And they've reached that conclusion based on science and data. Those are the people I'm listening to.

Then of course, comes my other point. What those people are saying on what we should do...all of those recommendations are good for humanity, except the carbon tax. So what's the problem?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

WHAT the efforts are DOING is the bugaboo COWS! WOODSTOVES!

no it is quire impotent, DROP fossil FUELS YES WE should have DONE THAT in the 50s anyway but WHO will tell OIL what to do?
When the equation comes down to the individual they have avoided the issue and are wasting time for MONEY nothing more.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Dear intrepid,

Thanks for the opinion, I think you're right about China and India. Together, they contain about 2.6 billion people, more than a third of the world's population. I don't know how world pollution will be significantly improved while they have their current attitude.

I also ran across the statement that a large portion of California's pollution comes from China. (More than 1/6, less than 1/3.) Considering our fear of Fukushima pollution, that seems to make sense.

I ran across some national pollution figures. They're looking at the average annual concentration of small (PM2.5) particles in the air that shouldn't be there. I don't know which countries were left out, but I found these figures interesting.

Pakistan 100

Bangladesh, Iran, Egypt 70-80

UAE, India 60

China 40

Italy, S. Korea, Brazil, Russia 20-25

US 12

Sweden, Norway, Finland 7-9

Looking at this, it seems the US is doing pretty well indeed. Maybe the EPA can take the rest of the year off.

With respect,
Charles1952

Forgot the link, sorry.
www.zerohedge.com...
edit on 23-9-2014 by charles1952 because: Forgot to add link

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Link please.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
According to this News service(not a blog) the US is #2. Behind China but ahead of India:

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Dear intrepid,

You're right, but that's why I stressed that my numbers were looking at particles in the air, the things that cause smog and diseases. Your comparison is, I'm sure, correct, but it is measuring CO2. Which is worse? My guess, and let me underline guess, is that CO2 is worse for the environment in the long run, and particulate matter is worse for humans in the short run.

There is still some discussion about the size of the effect of CO2 sent into the atmosphere by man. If it's main effect is global warming, then we're back to "Is there any serious global warming going on?"

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Apparently the people care, the media doesn't. There saying that the crowd reached 400,000 marchers...thats amazing.
The organiser expected 100k the local police thought that 30k would show up, but they were all wrong.

climate change march new york

edit on 23-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

In polls of Americans, climate change concerns fewer people than any other environmental problem. Things like clean air, water, etc. are well ahead of it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join