It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iOS 8 and ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I just upgraded my iPad to iOS 8. Haven't taken it anywhere except here. I can't say I like it very much.

Threw the formatting I've grown accustomed to off.
Opening a new tab = sign back on again.

I'm sure I'll have more complaints later. The two above should've been enough to put this in the Rant Forum, but I'm saving that for a day when my keyboard is available.

Heads up, folks.

-Cheers

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I have really been wanting to update my phone to ios8 but i have no where near enough memory my phone is only a 16gb iphone and it needs heaps of memory! So silly!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

I should've remembered an old lesson about Apple products: They're not meant to be upgraded ... you need to buy new hardware if you expect satisfaction.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yes i agree! You think i would have learnt my lesson with my iphone 3gs it only lasted a few years and then i couldn't update it anymore which made it completely useless because all the good apps required the new ios!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Updates usually suck.
They rarely add new features, it's often about "security" (theirs), or try to reinvent the wheel.
Applications and programs rarely have technical limitations other than the ones that are programmed in OS's to purposely not work.

It's like some people out there have nothing better to do than fixing stuff that isn't broken.
edit on 22-9-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Will stick with android .. does far more .. better and faster without the headaches and limitations that ios has ..

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I don't like iOS 8 either, really slows things down.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
So, are you saying that I shouldn't update??

I have a PC, but only use my iPad. All the time. I'm a recent owner and purchased a brand new (but older model) iPad a few months back and besides an iPod nano I have never had any other Apple product. I have not lived through enough updates to know a lot about them like I have android. I wanted to update, but have not had a chance to do so yet. So I would appreciate any feedback on whether I should or not. Please?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Save yourself alot of grief and dont update ..

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Save yourself alot of grief and dont update ..

Thanks Expat. I will not update right now then. I can't figure out why android or Apple need to update so often. I can't tell you how many times I have updated an android phone only to loathe the changes but not be able to go back (I don't love change that much). I even went so far last time I needed a phone and purchased an older android phone when I needed one because I didn't like the new updates when my last phone broke.

They usually "break" it when they "fix" it. I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Other than root and installing custom roms never have updated on android ..
guy here today when was out earlier at park had updated his iphone he complain it run worse than before updated..

It how they get you to go buy new one ..

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Other than root and installing custom roms never have updated on android ..
guy here today when was out earlier at park had updated his iphone he complain it run worse than before updated..

It how they get you to go buy new one ..

I was never quite brave enough to root even though I always have no contract phones. But I have updated on more than one occasion where I had to do hard resets, and factory data resets to get the phone to work well enough to use again. And you're right... It's a way to make money. They purposefully make apps out of date to get folks to upgrade to a newer device and then they stop updating older devices to do the same thing.

I do like the fact that Apple does at least update much older models than android does. I purchased an iPad 2 and was amazed that I could still get updates and the newer apps. Android doesn't update anything (at least not the phones I've used) past about a year. You can do the custom ROMS like you did, but android isn't going to offer it.

It's all a gimmick I think.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

So, are you saying that I shouldn't update??

I wouldn't say that ... exactly. You might wanna wait until you know what drawbacks you could run into. I lost interest in keeping up with tech several years back. Haven't had much time to fiddle around with it yet ... and you don't want to hold yer breath waiting for me.

I, also, am running an iPad2. The battery isn't what it used to be so upgrade is inevitable. What I find most annoying is ATS's persistent menu bar now wraps into the reading area of the text pane when I expand it to fill the screen. There are four or five 'buttons' which get in the way of 'my reading line'. I'm sure you can see what I mean (the wrap around) by fiddling around with your device in its present state. It is now annoying as Hell ... so much so (for me) ... I finally gave up. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I won't make 'em worse squinting at tiny text. YMMV

The main reason I put this thread up was in hopes SO would see it and work his magic.

I'd wait a day, and see what the rest of ATS has to say about upgrading, when they wake up.

-Cheers

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thanks Snarl.
I hope you can get it fixed soon.

And yes... I have experienced what you are seeing and it is maddening to say the least. When I first got my iPad I downloaded more browsers than I can remember because I couldn't get ATS to look right. I finally found a browser and fiddled with the settings enough to get it where I like it. I definitely don't want to mess that up right now.

Technology has the ability to make me truly angry sometimes. I know that sounds stupid to some, but there is something that snaps in my brain when I KNOW it's supposed to do something when I do something... then it doesn't lol. It just enrages me. If I were 10, everything I own technology wise would have been thrown through a window and smashed with a hammer.

It is what it is.

I'll stick with what I've got for a bit.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I have an iphone 5, and have been through every update from ios 6 on... So far, ios 8 has been the best update for me. Finally, a few of the quirky bugs I've had throughout the ios 7 updates are gone. So far, so good. No real issues with the exception of a sim card error. Restarting the phone seems to have resolved that issue. Nevertheless, an Android will most likely be my next phone. I haven't been thrilled with Apple. I think Android has a lot more to offer at this point in time.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I love my ipad2 solely for the fact I can take my WHOLE library with me

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Finally, a few of the quirky bugs I've had throughout the ios 7 updates are gone.

I've found a couple more problems this a.m. They probably fall into the quirky category. Quoting text (as above) is causing the page to crash occasionally. Highlighting text to copy is causing the screen to self-scroll occasionally.

Still can't open a new tab without having to log-on, but I can get an extra logged-on window to open by clicking certain ATS links (like using a specific member's post link). It's gonna be a process of rediscovery I guess.

top topics

join