It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gnosticism In The Broader Context Of Mysticism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

Yeah it was controversial because it was seen as a direct rival when they created their own Gospels (although debatably the Gospels were based on older teachings). Anything against the Christian Bible was heretical and the Gnostics didn't escape the purges.

Doesn't the Gnostic version of the tree of life make more sense though? Why would you stick a tree in the middle of the Garden of Eden and then tell Adam and Eve not to go near it? Either God made a mistake with it or it did have a purpose, neither of which conforms to a Christian God.

edit on 26-9-2014 by twfau because: spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Something I would like to add here in regards to the concept of this Human life being a prison, IMHHO...

Only if you let it be so! Or if you were just born completely without at a chance (which may be karma based)

When you are doing something amazing, death defying, and beautiful. Something that forces you to live in the moment. High throttle intensity perfectly mixed with focus and bliss. Then you are timeless, wonderful, beautiful artwork in motion! In the human form! Something unique to us! And our mortality and limited disposition make it so! Thus not a prison at all! It's an amazing gracious opportunity!

We can achieve this by chasing our passions. For me personally it's Seasoned skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing. For others it could be simply fishing! Or hiking! Or exploring!

For some more hardcore, skydiving! Flying wing suit! Freestyle motocross!

Just following passions and the feeling you get when you are forced to live in the moment is something to be cherished and possibly unique to this human expierience. Possibly envied by some? I don't hear of Greys surfing......... everybody, we're not in prison.
edit on 26-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: Some grammar and spelling errors

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

originally posted by: LittleByLittle

Life should be a wonderful thing but it is unfortunately not since humanity is not ready on collective level to sacrifice greed for doing the right thing and follow the golden rule. And freedom is used as an excuse to enslave others and in fact destroy their freedom.

Yes, freedom to enslave others is not freedom at all. That is slavery. The Golden Rule itself is freedom, because unless we choose not to hurt each other, we will always be in slavery to pain and suffering.

originally posted by: TheJourney
They seem to say that basically this physical body is like a prison which traps our soul. And due to our ignorance, we stay trapped in it. The physical reality was created by a somewhat nefarious being, not the ultimate God, with the aim of keeping us trapped in negative tendencies and ignorance. The ultimate goal, then, is release from this body, and a return to the reality of Spirit. When we die, there are two possibilities. If we have attained to some level of gnosis, knowing, during our life, we return to the spiritual realms. If we have not, we return to the 'prison' of physical reality again and again.

The physical world is darkness, it is designed on a predatory system: everything survives by killing, eat, or taking from, something else. This is why the physical world represents the ouroborus (the serpent that eats its own tail), becaue the physical reality is in an endless cycle of consuming itself.

With that being said, We Are The Light of The World, and The Light isn't meant to stay hidden under a bowl, but instead The Light shines to give Light to others (Matthew 5:14-15). The point is not to try to escape the physical world to go to heaven. The point is to bring heaven HERE on Earth through The Light within us - The Kingdom of God within us (Luke 17:21). That is why Jesus said to pray saying "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven" - Matthew 6:10. It keeps it in our mind that Heaven is already perfect and Heaven is coming down here. The Light (Spirit/Heaven) will brighten up The Darkness (The Physical).

edit on 28-9-2014 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

For me the only really interesting thing about Gnosticism is how it managed at the time and still does to tag along like a red headed step child. It takes a bit of work to understand the amazing ability Gnosticism has to obfuscate and lead away. I think the writer had them in mind when he said that "they are ever learning but never able to come to truth".

posted on Oct, 1 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
You seem far along the path but have some questions. The contradiction here is whether or not all of life is sacred if the body is also a prison. Fair enough philosophical question. Plotinus wrote a good article refuting some theories of the Gnostics while also embracing other aspects of it.

Here is my answer: the world is physical, so it is not sacred. The spirit is sacred. The body is a holding cell of the spirit, and as such, a prison, but we have a choice, to either succumb to the imprisonment of the physical, or to seek the greater spirit. When we choose the spirit, we no longer feel like a prisoner. As Advaita Vedanta and certain strains of Buddhism teach: like the lotus floating on muddy waters. Or as Christianity states: being in the world but not of the world. The more spiritual we are, the less the body feels like a prison. Ultimately the spirit is all we are, so while the body is like a prison, it is also an illusion, one that can be transcended, and thus it does not hurt us.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hey, just out of curiosity, season 6 episode 7 never seems to have been put online?
edit on 20-10-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

There is no escape from physicality because it is a manifestation of the One and an emanation from the All. You can not escape yourself. There is only understanding, experiencing, and having a gnosis of reality, which enables us to discover true Love, Peace, and Happiness,... which allows us to choose positivity and be active co-creators towards a beneficial world for all. What we do for others, we actually do for ourselves,... because once again; All is One.

Yes you must follow one of the more negative and anti social sects of Gnosticism.
I like Valentinianism also Marcionites had some good things to say regarding OT of the bible. These are positive schools unfortunately just as in most philosophies or Religions there are also negative Dark ones, seems the direction your heading, folly in my view.
Most Gnostic philosophy is clear the World is a creation of the demiurge.The world is corrupted and cannot be redeemed in this sense Gnosticism is completely anti materialistic as opposed to very materialistic phoney Aquarian Occult groups that's because most sold out to materialism and sexual perversion even( OTO etc..) hippies make bad mystics!
edit on 20-10-2014 by 74joff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 74joff

No, I did not misunderstand the message of Gnosticism. It is you who have misunderstood my reply. I understand the concept of the Demiurge, and I even had this to say about the concept of materialism according to Gnostic traditions:

"There are many layers and veils of Gnosticism, but you have articulated a proper and correct exoteric and outer understanding of the teachings. The gist of Gnosticism does indeed propagate life as a physical imprisonment to a divine spark.

Now,... what you have quoted from me is my personal belief and rebuttal to the Gnostic concept of demonizing the material world.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Now,... what you have quoted from me is my personal belief and rebuttal to the Gnostic concept of demonizing the material world.

The material world IS demonised thats the point.

posted on Oct, 21 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: 74joff

Exactly! In Gnosticism, the material world is demonized, and I absolutely understand the concept.

However, it gives the impression that physical life is a miserable thing to be detested, while salvation lies in a spiritual afterlife awaiting those who adhere to the precepts and disciplines of enlightenment and gnosis. But I utterly refute this archaic belief. Enlightenment and Gnosis are to improve LIFE, not gain an afterlife.

In fact, all of existence is One, through co-origination, inter-connectedness, and cause-and-effect. The material world is an extension,... an emanation from the One. To demonize physical reality is to demonize the One who is All.

We are always and eternally One with All, but we are only temporarily "Here" and "Now" as relative-subjective human beings. This life is a miraculous blessing, treasure, and gift, not an imprisonment.

The Gnostic realm of "spiritual salvation" based on unity with God/Monad is what we always were and always will be,... it is not the goal of afterlife, it is an actuality of ethereal existence. The state of spiritual unification with God/Monad "always is". Temporary physical life is a short "time-out" of differentiated experience; a blessing, not a curse.

I do understand several systems of Gnosticism, but there are concepts that I disagree with

edit on 10/21/14 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

However, it gives the impression that physical life is a miserable thing to be detested, while salvation lies in a spiritual afterlife awaiting those who adhere to the precepts and disciplines of enlightenment and gnosis. But I utterly refute this archaic belief. Enlightenment and Gnosis are to improve LIFE, not gain an afterlife.

Well you say you understand Gnosis yet seem to be missing fundamental beliefs of Gnostics or even the goals of gnosis.
This planet in this age is the lowest dimension in the hierarchy of Aeons.
The goal is to increase consciousness by gaining greater spiritual awareness/consciousness so one gains enough awareness to realise they do not have to be confined in this lower aeon, they can actually see the macrocosm of all aeons and realise we are simply trapped in the lowest aeon on the ladder of consciousness, like a mind prison/matrix or hologram as say David Icke would call it!.
David Icke does an excellent straight forward manner of explaining what the journey of Gnosticism is all about to the average punter, unlike many in the groups like the Freemasons or other Occult groups whom are elitist and keep the esoteric matters to members only.

If the goal of Gnosis is not to increase spiritual awareness/Consciousness then what is the point?

I know what it is however i am asking you?

In fact, all of existence is One, through co-origination, inter-connectedness, and cause-and-effect. The material world is an extension,... an emanation from the One. To demonize physical reality is to demonize the One who is All.

Not correct at all as you should know this is 101 to Gnostic beliefs, the One or God is NOT the demi urge.
The demi urge created the world not God. Again you seem confused or perhaps you are in a school which wishes to imprison the soul in material bondage rather than attempt to raise consciousness. If that is you,re goal, you,re leading in a direction which is no better than exoteric religion therefore spiritually dead in terms of raising consciousness. Question; Are you a Freemason?

Remember the nature of the material world is corrupt the goal is to overcome this aeon/dimension not to be trapped inside it with no hope of greater consciousness. Otherwise what is the point of Gnosis??:

edit on 26-10-2014 by 74joff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: alomaha

When you think about it, their view is very similar to a movie "The Matrix". It seems that they were more aware of this reality than newagers (not to mention any religion). Yes, we live in the prison and ultimate goal is to break free... But first we must realize that we are entrapped in order to search for the way out.

It does for sure the director of that movie was attempting to get the message out to the masses not just for some elite "holier than thou" circle. Another whom has been trying in much bigger why to get the message out big time for 20 plus years is David Icke his ideas are very Gnostic inspired although he doesn't openly admit it most times, in this interview he gives a big clue to his inspiration even mentions Nag Hammadi. Especially DIs stuff on "The Nature of Reality" highly recommend ;
by the way you can think of Reptilians as Archons or Demons or Aliens if you prefer it doesnt matter their inflence and concept is essentially the same evil entities.

edit on 27-10-2014 by 74joff because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Not all gnostic texts tell the physical is bad. To the contrary the Gospel of Thomas teaches that one has to merge the female (physical) with the male (spiritual) to reach enlightenment (among other things) so female aspect should be honored not despised. Same gospel also quotes "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and whoever blasphemes against the son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven, either on earth or in heaven."

As I mentioned in an earlier posts its simply about transcending our present base aeon and realising there is more to life than the material there is the spiritual, paranormal/ metaphysical world to be considered.
This might seem simple enough however religion is so spiritually dead it is a big deal to get people to recognise other dimensions and take them seriously also the forces/ entities that inhabit them this is not a horror movie or thriller the fight for control of our souls is real we don't control them entities Archons will!
Also this does not require a Degree to believe these beliefs not be kept to an elite few or neophytes whatever other bull they call themselves in these elitist New age or Occult groups.
So not going to make this sound like some elite philosophy because this is all metaphysics, anyone can understand in the right context to most lay folks this is the spiritual world or paranormal world.If you,ve noticed many primitive folks are more spiritual then we are e.g Africans, etc.. so education and elitism zilch to do with understanding it!.
edit on 27-10-2014 by 74joff because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join