It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads up.... current DDOS attack underway....US and China major players

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Nice
just selling stuff to stop attacks

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is pretty cool. The US definately just got hit like 400+ times all at once though lol. Not sure how accurate it is or if it is even real.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
WOW! Everyone is attacking the US an Liberia.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and now we know why..

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Im sure this map has been active for quite while. USA is getting slammed though.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Major attack from France !

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
So are these "attacks" just more inconvenient than actually dangerous?

That seems to be the impression I am getting from a lot of these posts, but I have absolutely no idea what this is.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MrJack

Most attacks are just scripted automatic probes looking for machines who are vulnerable to infect, of course there are 'bot nets' available to rent to cause a bit of mayhem but major ISP's now are getting used to it and can detect and mitigate most of the common problems such as syn floods or dns lookup requests, the reason they seem like attacks is they quite often have a timer between activities so to try and not look quite so threatening from each IP address and a lot of stuff will block an IP address for a while should it feel threatened

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa Where the hell have I been, thanks for the info!!

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
DDOS ?

I am pretty sure when the governments are doing it no one would be able to tell.

Script kiddies going at eh.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
How does this have to do with world war 3

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I was sitting on IPviking watching it a little.

When suddenly, at ONCE, 500 attacks came from Armenia

they did not continue attacking. Just thought it was wierd

i.imgur.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
/me sighs. DDOS is for skids.

Also commenting from the sidelines about what this map shows has proved to this internet denizen that very few of you understand how the internet works. Kind of disappointed, really. These types of packet storms happen on a near daily basis. Small groups of individuals (teams) with a limited bot network (zombie networks) can generate huge amounts of traffic with about 100 lines of code. Other DDOS tools used for stress testing networks can be downloaded for nothing from open source projects all over the internet. They can be used to the same effect by anyone with an internet connection.

Also this map is showing the source/destination of packets and volume. This can't be entirely accurate because of things like proxychains, tor and a number of other ip obfuscation tools commonly used people every day. For example, an attack from China may show as originating in Amsterdam or France. China loves to screw with US networks and vice-a-versa. Governments are always playing cyber games and very rarely are they doing so from an IP address that pinoints their physical location... that's pretty much lesson one in terms of basic cyber security. Obfuscate, proxy, obfuscate, hide, proxy again, then find an exit node on the opposite side of the planet. Are these packets being generated? Most definitely. Are the origins as clear as they are on that map? Nope.

Also, yes there are people who attack other web sites, servers, clouds from within the same country. It's the internet, and skiddies are always throwing packets around at each other. Some times its for stress testing, sometimes it's political, and sometimes it may be for 'teh lulz, man'. Anonymous hates anonymous. Anonymous can be a cancer to anonymous around the world. Governments like to remain anonymous when they play these kinds of games, too. Skids will be skids whether they work for a government or for their own personal interest. DDOS is more of thorn in the side attack, or a fuzz for other more penetrating attacks being carried out simultaniously.

Educate yourselves, please. Google is your friend. TCP Reflection, Apache Killer, HOIC, LOIC... If you want to learn about DDOS those are good places to start. This is a common thing, guys. It's the reason companies like Cloudflare and Black Lotus are in business. Ipviking and digitalattackmap.com look like that all the time.

OP loves to mountanize molehills.

EDTA: Your big WW3 DDOS attack was a bunch of skids smacking around Destiny and Call of Duty servers. LizardSquad
edit on 24-9-2014 by AnonyMason because: OP deserves a spidey meme about sensationalism

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

Finally someone that knows what they are talking about on this topic. Everyone is like, "ZOMG! Another attack!", and they have no idea whats really happening lol.

There is no real way to know the difference between an actual DDoS attack and normal traffic. That is because the most common form of DDoS attack is a "flood" attack which just sends a large amount of requests to a server hoping its more than the server can handle, and it locks up, or becomes unavailable. This of course would happen quite often on very popular websites such as Facebook, Google, etc.. (who must get billions of requests a day) if it wasn't for their enormous and powerful servers, and load management.

I don't see how this company / website can know what is an attack and what is normal, so they probably just call everything an attack. Even then, there is no way for one company to know ALL traffic at ALL times unless they are the NSA of course. So this information is only what the company has access to, which is not everything.
edit on 24-9-2014 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason
/me sighs. DDOS is for skids.

Also commenting from the sidelines about what this map shows has proved to this internet denizen that very few of you understand how the internet works. Kind of disappointed, really. These types of packet storms happen on a near daily basis. Small groups of individuals (teams) with a limited bot network (zombie networks) can generate huge amounts of traffic with about 100 lines of code. Other DDOS tools used for stress testing networks can be downloaded for nothing from open source projects all over the internet. They can be used to the same effect by anyone with an internet connection.

Also this map is showing the source/destination of packets and volume. This can't be entirely accurate because of things like proxychains, tor and a number of other ip obfuscation tools commonly used people every day. For example, an attack from China may show as originating in Amsterdam or France. China loves to screw with US networks and vice-a-versa. Governments are always playing cyber games and very rarely are they doing so from an IP address that pinoints their physical location... that's pretty much lesson one in terms of basic cyber security. Obfuscate, proxy, obfuscate, hide, proxy again, then find an exit node on the opposite side of the planet. Are these packets being generated? Most definitely. Are the origins as clear as they are on that map? Nope.

Also, yes there are people who attack other web sites, servers, clouds from within the same country. It's the internet, and skiddies are always throwing packets around at each other. Some times its for stress testing, sometimes it's political, and sometimes it may be for 'teh lulz, man'. Anonymous hates anonymous. Anonymous can be a cancer to anonymous around the world. Governments like to remain anonymous when they play these kinds of games, too. Skids will be skids whether they work for a government or for their own personal interest. DDOS is more of thorn in the side attack, or a fuzz for other more penetrating attacks being carried out simultaniously.

Educate yourselves, please. Google is your friend. TCP Reflection, Apache Killer, HOIC, LOIC... If you want to learn about DDOS those are good places to start. This is a common thing, guys. It's the reason companies like Cloudflare and Black Lotus are in business. Ipviking and digitalattackmap.com look like that all the time.

OP loves to mountanize molehills.

EDTA: Your big WW3 DDOS attack was a bunch of skids smacking around Destiny and Call of Duty servers. LizardSquad

exactly all of the above.
And now I hope this thread will die, because the people are reading too much into the statistics on the website.
All this "attacks" you guys are refering to are just common daily type of traffic and small attacks.
The map would be filled with lines in a real DDoS, just google for a few example.
500 attacks is nothing, if there is a DDoS the numbers will go into the thousands.
And that China is most likely the number 1 is because illegal software is more common there and with it comes more malware.
Furthermore China has a lot more internet users than 99% of the other countries. Maybe equal to the USA and now factor in the higher risk to get infected and becoming part of a botnet.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Not true.

The attack I was referring was severe enough to bump thousands of people offline. When I posted, the attack was ongoing at that time. First a wave from China followed by a wave back from the US. This went on for several minutes before it completely stopped like turning off a switch.

Being as I had over 20 years as a sys admin in a TS communications facility hub, I know exactly what a ddos attack looks like. I have never seen one graphically displayed like it was that night on IP Viking. Haven't seen it re-occur since either.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

You may be surprised at how much that map goes off with newer NTP reflection attacks. Some have hit 4Gbps according to NSFOCUS

Read This Mr. Admin

Not doubting your skills. But just because the packets go off the chart doesnt mean its the government.

Far from meaning its something to do with WW3.

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason
a reply to: RickinVa

You may be surprised at how much that map goes off with newer NTP reflection attacks. Some have hit 4Gbps according to NSFOCUS

Read This Mr. Admin

Not doubting your skills. But just because the packets go off the chart doesnt mean its the government.

Far from meaning its something to do with WW3.

Didn't read your link nor do I care. Obviously you did not read through this thread:

Mod can move if necessary. I stated that right there in the OP.

You're getting your panties twisted over absolutely nothing. It was only posted here because breaking news requires a news source to link to and time was very limited when I made that post. The attack stopped about 7 or 8 minutes after that post. This was posted in this thread as well. Next time, try reading from page 1 instead of going to the last page first.

The thread was created to inform people of a DDOS attack. Many people never heard of IP Viking prior to me posting the link, I was one of them.

People were informed and some learned of a new website that maps global IP traffic so the thread served its purpose.

Take your issue to the moderators and ask them why they didn't move it. I really don't care at this point. The event is long over and there is no sense talking about it anymore.

Don't have a stroke for nothing.

Have a nice day!

PS: I will stick by what I said earlier in this thread.... the first shots of WWIII will come from a keyboard....not a gun. It's the age in which we now live.

As for my admin experience:

en.citizendium.org...

It is a tactical network that allows sharing of this information among appropriate elements in the field, but also provides connectivity to worldwide maximum security networks such as JWICS and specific United States intelligence community networks. While it is tactically used, however, there is a TROJAN Data Network (TDN) operations center at Fort Belvoir, VA, where the central AN/FSQ-144(V) TROJAN CLASSIC equipment is located.

There are actually three networks within TDN:

TDN-1, operating at the SECRET security level between TROJAN Classic facilities, switch extensions, and SPIRITs.
TDN-2, at the TS/SCI security level. It provides data exchange between selected TROJAN sites requiring access to the National Security Agency network, which is separate from JWICS
TDN-3, also at the TS/SCI security level, but the gateway to JWICS.

I can neither confirm nor deny any of the information listed on that website.

I have been retired for a while now, but I had a very interesting career.

edit on R502014-10-06T20:50:45-05:00k5010Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
There's a Melbourne in Australia and what makes you think they would not attack themselves

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join