It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia woman’s last act before dying from gunshot was to hide baby in toilet to save her life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Georgia woman’s last act before dying from gunshot was to hide baby in toilet to save her life

I can't imagine her terror...

Police say that a 33-year-old Smyrna, Georgia woman’s last act was to save the life of her infant daughter by hiding her in a toilet and covering it with her body.

According to Atlanta’s WSB Radio, Jessica Arrendale’s partner and father of her 6-month-old daughter Cobie attacked her with a baseball bat and then an assault rifle, shooting her through the head.

As she fell, dying, Arrendale reportedly dropped the baby into the bowl of the toilet of the bathroom where she was trapped and covered the infant with her body. Police found the baby alive, but suffering from a head wound some 13 hours later when they stormed the apartment on Sunday.

The infant had remained trapped in the toilet bowl for 13 hours while the police waited outside not knowing the gunman was already dead from a self-inflicted wound.

Mother killed trying to protect baby who survived 13 hours in toilet

The father was a former Marine and Iraq veteran, and from all accounts a decent man up to when he snapped.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
sad ass story.

best of life/luck to the kid.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

A very sad story.

One that could have possibly been avoided with more care for Vets.
PTSD is an insidious thing and many returned servicemen are loath to discuss their experiences.

A small increase in funding to treat these people is not much to ask considering the sacrifices made to
their respective countries.

Hope the baby comes through OK !

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The tenacity of any decent mother is often underestimated. The news is full of mothers who sell their kids for crack, sex, etc. You see mothers that abuse their children, neglect them, and let their "misters" come and go and torment their children in the process.

But THAT IS NOT the majority of mothers. I could see no other way than what this woman did had this been my child. I can't imagine the horror that went through her head while she was dying and attempting to save her child's life.... Would she be ok? Would he kill her too after she died? That is such a tragic way to die on top of what had already happened to her.

As much as I want to curse and scream at this man for what he did... Looking at his record/life... I can not. What he did is so horrible that it's almost unimaginable, no doubt. But we are not doing right by these veterans when they come home. We are not helping them to reintegrate after living through what they do. We are not helping teach them coping mechanisms, warning signs, or offering much help anywhere else either.

I am sure many will be angered about what I am going to say, but I'll say it anyway...

Both of these folks were victims. Both of them.

And they left behind another one.

Can you imagine the weight of that legacy? I certainly can not. I hope and pray that she can live a full and productive life without this affecting or haunting her for the rest of her days.

This is just too damn sad.

edit on 9/21/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Timely

One that could have possibly been avoided with more care for Vets.
PTSD is an insidious thing and many returned servicemen are loath to discuss their experiences.

A small increase in funding to treat these people is not much to ask considering the sacrifices made to
their respective countries.

My sentiments as well. Vet care especially PTSD needs to be taken more seriously. We give the NFL tax breaks but can't properly fund vet care. Our priorities are seriously out of whack.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Double! My bad
edit on 21-9-2014 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Georgia woman’s last act before dying from gunshot was to hide baby in toilet to save her life.

Glad the POS is dead and the system won't have to fund his prison term.

With that said, her last act was to be shot in the head; luckily for the infant, she ended up in the toilet with her mothers dead body covering her due to the impact of the round. She died instantly, so the title of the OP is suspect.

Not trying to crap on a #ty situation, but we either keep it real, otherwise we might as well throw in the white towel.

edit on 21-9-2014 by BestinShow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

This video is relevant because that soldier could have been a decent man.

edit on 21-9-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
And they left behind another one.

This is just too damn sad.

Completely agree.

There are actually two in fact, apparently there is a 15 year old child as well...

My prayer is that the mother and the two kids that were left behind would be reunited one day in Heaven.

A gofundme page was setup and has already exceeded the $10k goal.

Friends and family have set up a gofundme page to help offset the cost of the funeral and aid in the education of Arrendale’s children. myfox8.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I hate to find that out. As if one orphan wasn't bad enough.

I believe as you do and think they will indeed be reunited one day. I hope they put that money in a trust fund for the children that will not allow any outsiders to take advantage of it or them.

Stories like this just hit you in the gut. Tragic.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I'm with you Roo !

There should be a Government safety net for this exact scenario !!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
There's something really wrong here that is being ignored, that someone would resort to this, your own family on top of if there was abuse towards anyone else?! The question of why couldn't he receive proper help. It's a nasty illness that DRs./Psychiatrists/etc. need to take more serious instead of just prescribing medication. Probably to much to ask for. And to say it's not asking anymore, it should be a demand. The fact that a women rightfully in fear of her life(RIP) had to go to such extremes of putting her child where she did because of this?
Regards

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake
Yes.

Virtually ignored when it comes to budget.

When it comes to this ! ...

Do the math ...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hi there Kangaruex4Ewe-i always enjoy your posts,and usually find myself in agreement with you.I certainly do agree on the point that the way the USA government is treating their vets is a disgrace,to say the least,and beyond contempt.I can also agree that there are 2 victims here-but imo-those 2 are the brutally murdered woman,and the orphaned child who has to grow up with this sad legacy.There is imo,NO EXCUSE to visit this sickening brutality upon a defenceless woman-it JUST AS beyond contempt and disgusting and sickening as the way vets are treated by the government of America-if not far worse.I'm sorry if I offend any vets by saying this-it's certainly not my intention,as I often think of you guys with a very sad feeling in my heart,and anger on your behalf,and am completely repulsed by how you have been discarded like used toiletpaper,by the government of your country,whom you were prepared to die for.

But what this man did,whether he suffered from PTSD or not-is inexcusable in my eyes.I don't believe that the "snapping" occurs out of point blank nowhere-i believe that you can feel it coming-and you can feel yourself closer and closer to breaking point-and that is the time when you should remove yourself from the situation,seek out any available help,even if it means as a last resort having yourself admitted to a psych ward-anything is better than what happened here.How am I qualified to judge,seeing I have never been in theatre of battle,seeing friends die,coming close to being killed yourself-and then discarded by your government as if you count for nothing? Because some civilians DO have lives that are a theater of battle,since childhood,they have also seen friends die,they also had to stand over the lifeless corpse of a young friend that was alive and laughing just a few hours before.They have also been on the brink of death,and not by anything as clean as a gunshot wound,but survived somehow, being raped,being assaulted and humiliated and made to feel like they are nothing,brutalised by the fists of a man strong as an ox,throttled,kicked in the head.Without signing up for it willingly.Being ceaselessly abused,psychologically,mentally,physically,emotionally,since childhood.Being threatened and living in fear and not being able to do a damn thing about it,due to circumstances.Some lives are battlegrounds from the moment you are pried from the body of the woman who birthed you,and the abuse and the battles Never stop,not even for one single goddamn day-and you Never signed up for it,even.And as with you vets,there is no government willing to help you,to offer practical assistance in ways that would Genuinely make a difference,improve your quality of life,and remove a good deal of the load of stress and mental anguish you feel.Do I have PTSD? Most likely.Have I suffered from major depressive disorder for most of my life,to this present day? Absolutely.Yet,I deal with it,even without any help or end in sight.I deal,because I jolly well Have to.

But never would I beat some one to death,shoot them,deprive a child of their mother,without the slightest regard for said child's safety even,at the time.No matter how genuinely sorry I feel for the American vets-there are women going through lives that are nothing short of hellish at worst,incredibly stressful and nerve-wracking at best,year after year,decade after decade- a personal warzone you cannot escape-a battle that is not recognised as such-and Never ends-which imo is as bad as being on real battlefields.At least in a real-life war/battle scenario,it ends,sooner or later.And you pass on from this world,in which case you are indeed the fortunate one-or you survive,often with horrible memories and events that has irreparably damaged you inside.But consider that there are civilians that go through the same as you,just in a different set-up.Such as myself.Taking out your seething anger,however righteous,on an innocent, defenceless person,though,is just plain evil.

Hammer me all you like for this reply(not you specifically Kangaruex4ewe,but vets and anyone who read this post) but this is my position on this specific matter, and I stand by it.

reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

I thank you for your compliment and your well thought out reply.

I actually agree with most of your post. I do think people feel it coming on at times. I do think many people feel like it could come to that point. There are warning signs and a lot of folks ignore those. The reason is because normal people NEVER go around thinking that something like this will happen to them.

The truth is... We are all capable of this due to human nature. Our brains can do some seriously sick stuff when it isn't functioning correctly. All of us being capable of doing something this appalling does not cross our minds. Ever. Why? Because when we are healthy and normal, none of can even fathom getting to a point where we would do this. Not us. No way, no how.

I am sure this is exactly the way these people feel. They know it's bad. But they feel like they have it under control... Until they don't. Then it's too late.

I'm not saying that (had he lived) he should not have had to pay for his crimes. I'm not saying that nobody like this should not have suffer the consequences of their actions. They are absolutely responsible and we have places mentally ill people go when their brain has checked out. They are still punished, but put in different housing and treated.

It's a double edged sword. I do feel rage when I see this stuff. But when I step back in cases like this... I can not help but feel that he was a victim as well. He killed himself in the end and healthy, normal folks don't do that. I can't stress enough that I do not advocate this type of violence regardless of the reasons it was perpetuated. I certainly don't want to have that confused here.

I just hate the feeling that many vets could be helped, yet they are swept under the rug when they are no longer of use. So not only do they suffer, their family suffers as well. Attention needs to be drawn to this because of that. Most of these types of events could be prevented if these vets weren't ignored or treated the way they should be. Having to wait a year for help when you have issues like this is unacceptable IMO. We need to do all we can do and then we can hold them more accountable for their actions. Until then, we can't even ask why because we already know (in most cases).

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

This video is relevant because that soldier could have been a decent man.

Or, most likely, he was a jerk to begin with.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Thank you for your reply Kanga,I respect your opinion.Wish you a good day,bless you.a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

top topics

join