It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Spiral Discovered Near Coventry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
From the Conventry Telegraph:

Mystery surrounds a strange pattern carved into the ground near Coventry.

The spiral shape was spotted on satellite maps by a historian researching the fabled Knights Templar, who founded the tiny hamlet of Temple Balsall, near Balsall Common, 1,000 years ago.

Intriguingly the pattern, which is about 30m in length, is just half a mile from the site of an intricate crop circle which appeared in 2011.

From Wikipedia - Temple Balsall:

t is one of the oldest and most interesting sites in the borough. It is named after, and dates from the time of, the Knights Templar. They farmed about 650 acres (2.6 km2) of the estate in the 12th century, and established Balsall Preceptory where a number of brothers lived and ran the estate. After the Order was suppressed, the estate was given to the Knights Hospitaller of St John. They lost it when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and Queen Elizabeth I gave the estate to Robert Dudley. The 13th-century church [1] and Old Hall, and 17th-century almshouses survive.

Additional sources:

news.com.au

In my opinion, it seems highly unlikely that this is an unreported ancient feature — far too well-defined and with access that terminates at the clearing. It's also impossible to tell from the picture if what we're seeing is an earthwork or perhaps a turf maze. The proximity to a 2011 crop circle doesn't do much to bolster the opinion that it's legitimate. It could be just a new twist on the crop circle. In a comment by the discoverer in the linked article, there is a URL for an interesting page about labyrinths created by the Knights Templar.

Then again, without more information who knows what we're looking at? At this point it's an intriguing picture of something in an area with an interesting history.

EDIT:

Here are the links to the spiral on Bing Maps and Google Maps.
edit on 2014-9-21 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have become quite fascinated by labyrinths lately since learning they are found all over the world, with some being thousands of years old. I wonder why we lost the meaning of something that seemed so very important to our ancestors....

Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Cool find..... Such labyrinths are often part of seasonal or initiatory ceremonies, I've even used them for passing out ceremonies with students. Like you say, far too well defined to be old, most likely from the last couple of months.

Lol, I should probably read the article.

Eta. I have seen these made with a typical lawn mower, doesn't take long.
edit on 21-9-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

This is very close to were i live.

I will be keeping a keen interest on any further news.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
How could anybody have missed this? This isn't like an anomalous spot in the middle of the American Southwest.

Either way it's awesome and shows we don't even know what lies in our own backyards. We walk on history, cut down trees that have seen kings of the past and don't even think about it.

S + F, I think it's a beautiful work.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Perhaps the location of a ritual by some Neo-Druidic/Neopagan group? That would be far more intriguing than another crop circle. I wonder when the satellite image was taken? There are some interesting features in the immediate vicinity. I just found it on Google maps and Bing maps. I'll add the links to the OP.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
I have become quite fascinated by labyrinths lately since learning they are found all over the world, with some being thousands of years old. I wonder why we lost the meaning of something that seemed so very important to our ancestors....

Thanks for sharing this!

I believe some of the common interpretations are as a trap for creatures (as with the Minotaur) or malevolent spirits and also as a ritual pathway for use in ceremonies.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I've used them in an Anthroposophical (Steiner/Waldorf Ed) setting incidentally about 40 mins from Coventry. There is not a Steiner School near Cov though... maybe an affiliated group or neopagans like you suggest.

The practice of using these is far from dead though.

ETA: if it's of interest, the context i used them in was with Autistic/Adhd/Behaviourally challenged teens and young adults about to leave the college i worked for. The ceremony took place at a farm and woodland we owned and worked at and was the culmination of a year's process to prepare the students to enter the adult world in a more independent "self-realised" kinda manner.

The participants would write down things that they wished to leave behind them on a piece of paper (often self made), maybe a promise to them selves too, then a small group at a time would process holding torches to the centre, set the torch in the middle and burn their paper.

Some found it profound, others giggled and called it stupid

edit on 21-9-2014 by skalla because: typo

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Thanks for sharing this!

The meaning hasn't been lost. They are a physical representation of the innerward journey of any spiritual path. The inner journey coorespondes to the darkness night of the year (winter solstice) and the outward journey of the labyrinth corresponds to the summer solsitce. As they say - rinse and repeat - year after year. It's a breath (in and out) pattern duplicated throughout creation.

Well - maybe, in todays constant 'growth' (out-breath) model of reality - it has been lost. Can't live with only 'out-breaths'.

Great topic.
edit on 21-9-2014 by FyreByrd because: spelling of course

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

That's where I learned about labrinths as well - in a Waldof kindergarden. it's nice to come across someone with a bit of anthroposophical background.

Camphill?
edit on 21-9-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
There is something similar on St Catherine's Hill, just above Winchester. It's called a mizmaze.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anyway, have been and seen.

Hope this helps.

Regards

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

No, but similar. It was a private charitable trust but still in the Steiner fold and linked to local schools, camp hills, CC's etc. I wasn't S/W educated but worked with them for a decade, it was real interesting but I never joined the society for various personal reasons and then moved on. I learned a lot of interesting stuff and grew plenty there but the experience eventually contracted and my nut ended up rather done in. Too much of a closed shop for me and not the broad church I had first seen it as, I ended seeing it as quite dogmatic and stagnant unfortunately. It was a great experience though.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

No, but similar. It was a private charitable trust but still in the Steiner fold and linked to local schools, camp hills, CC's etc. I wasn't S/W educated but worked with them for a decade, it was real interesting but I never joined the society for various personal reasons and then moved on. I learned a lot of interesting stuff and grew plenty there but the experience eventually contracted and my nut ended up rather done in. Too much of a closed shop for me and not the broad church I had first seen it as, I ended seeing it as quite dogmatic and stagnant unfortunately. It was a great experience though.

It can be, I agree. Which is quite 'un-Steiner-like'. But in most of the organizations I've been involved with you see the 'contractors' and the 'expanders.

In the US - the fight is on about supporting pulic Waldorf Charter schools that follow the indications in general but leave out all 'spriitual' trappings that kind of 'make' a Waldorf school special regardless of the cultural background it works out of.

The Chinese are picking up Waldorf Pedagogy in a big way - I've friends that go repeatedly to teach the new teachers there.

As Steiner would say it's in reaching a balance between Arimanic (tradition-bound) and the Luciferic (new thing - bound). I've always held that picutre of balance between the two streams of evil before me - both so seductive - both so destructive. I can't remember the name of the statue - Man perhaps - wait a sec....

"The Representative of Humanity" is what it's called....

www.google.com... BY&ved=0CCAQsAQ

Neither evil can be complete without humanity - nor can humanity exist without them. The Good is Balancing the fouces.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

In the uk it's pretty inward looking unfortunately.... I'll not go further as it's off topic etc, but I'm glad I did nearly a decade with them, and glad I left too

Eta. I know the carving well, I delved pretty deeply in my time there and met a lot of their thinkers, scientists and writers from around the world.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Here are the links to the spiral on Bing Maps and Google Maps.

It's apparently modern--if you click on the Bing link and switch to 'aerial' instead of 'bird's eye' view, it's not there.

ETA: I may stand corrected...it doesn't appear to be there, but it could be the lighting. The Google image is overgrown as well, but the lighting lends itself to showing the faint outline of the object.
edit on 23-9-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I found this place with geoglyphs spirals gigantic proportions, it seems this place is not yet known to scientists.
There is a strange protrusions similar to the ruins.

Many mysteries still not found by scientists

top topics

join