It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain 'node' that controls deep sleep discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Have scientists finally found the secret to a good night's rest?

Researchers have managed to find an electronic circuit in our lower brainstem that can induce sleep at the flick of a switch. They hope it can provide new treatments for insomnia and other sleep disorders. With my tin foil hat securely in place, I think about all the possibilities this discovery can lead to. I wonder if they could wire a dimmer switch to it and keep us dumb but not totally asleep, much like things are now.

'Before these tools were developed, we often used 'electrical stimulation' to activate a region, but the problem is that doing so stimulates everything the electrode touches and even surrounding areas it didn't.

'To get the precision required for these experiments, we introduced a virus into the PZ that expressed a 'designer' receptor on GABA neurons only but didn't otherwise alter brain function,' explains Patrick Fuller, assistant professor at Harvard and senior author on the paper

Are humans really as complex as we make ourselves out to be? Or does our lack of understanding cause us to overthink how the body functions? When we find simple ways to alter our senses, society usually changes in big ways. The obvious being drug use. Next will be "designer receptors".

'When we turned on the GABA neurons in the PZ, the animals quickly fell into a deep sleep without the use of sedatives or sleep aids.'

Sounds scary. What else could this discovery lead to? How about sedating animals for health and safety reasons? How about a whole army fitted with a built in kill switch incase they turn on their masters? Power napping at work?

edit on 21-9-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
So, they've found an OFF switch!!

All women should be emediately fitted with one

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I had a student in a class in college who had Narcolepsy, would suddenly faLL ASLEEP EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME, THIS WOULD BE WONDERFUL FOR THEM IF THEY CAN FIND WHAT TRIGGERS IT. woops hit caps.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Somehow weaponized by 2020 as a "humane" riot control option would be my guess.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
So, they've found an OFF switch!!

All women should be emediately fitted with one

With a remote control.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
wonder if this could be used to wake people who are stuck in comas

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I would love to be able to flip on a deep sleep at will..

And guess what? I do take GABA in a pill to help me get to sleep easier. Works well.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

edit on 22-9-2014 by DaRAGE because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join