It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Student Forced to Remove American Flag from Balcony

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Well, it is in the contract they signed. If I owned a building, I would not let tenants decorate the outside either.

To those of you that were pissed off about it, there is this:

Management initially told ABC that anyone who hangs a flag would be asked to take it down; however, it looks like the management capitulated after the media highlighted the story. An associate of the owners of the apartment complex told ABC there was a "misunderstanding," and that the flag would be allowed to fly.

Looks like they changed their mind and all is good.
edit on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 14:56:22 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
The flag is just a symbol, albeit a very important one to many. That being said, it is much more "American" to respect one's personal property rights and abide by the rules of the contract you singed when you rent/lease.

Ugh...

Says who?

You?

LOL

WHAT???

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
It is actually against the law to ban the display of the US flag.......sue the commie bastards

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

Every American should move out of there and screw those people. Let them house exchange students and illegals from now on until their complex closes due to bankruptcy.

Fat chance of THAT happening. They would probably be able to apply for grant money and make even MORE money by having exclusively illegals. Bankruptcy from citizens moving out, that is sooooooooo 1979.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
a reply to: sheepslayer247

It's much more American to put God and country first, to display patriotism, and live by the simple principles this once great nation was founded on.

But, this isn't that America anymore. This country is now a globalist safe haven, a place for the scavengers to invade and get what they can from it before it collapses completely.

Put your flags away America, we are done.

Am I less of an American because I don't believe in God? And patriotism is a double-edged sword. It can be used to show pride in one's country, or it can be used to indoctrinate people into certain beliefs or ideologies. I show my patriotism by keeping my word, honoring legal contracts I enter in to and respecting the wishes of private property owners that I may rent/lease from.

Isn't that what America is supposed to be, or is America as simple as a colorful flag?

a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

So I cannot put this on the foreign people living in that apartment building, because I feel this situation was caused by either one random, anonymous complaint or the owners are frightened of a lawsuit and want to continue to uphold their building's image of a foreign-friendly, diverse living place.

Could it be that there wasn't a complaint at all and the owners wanted to enforce their policy that was agreed to when this dude signed the rental agreement?

I am not beyond the possibility that this was a stunt by the tenant. There have been other stories such as this going through the right-wing blogosphere and it seems these stories are used to get the right-wingers all outraged. It works and people start pissing and moaning without one thought about keeping one's word and following the rental agreement. Apparently some people either can't or don't read stuff before they sign it and then throw a fit when they are told they can't hang stuff, no matter what it is, from their balcony.

a reply to: applesthateatpeople

Ugh... Says who? You? LOL WHAT???

The flag is a symbol, is it not? What else would it be?

It is flown to show love of country, patriotism and respect. It is also burnt, pissed-on, thrown in the mud and all sorts of other things in protest.

It's a symbol.

Without it...America is still America.

I find it more patriotic to be honorable and stick to the terms of a contract.....and not cry like a little baby when someone tells you that you are breaking the terms of the contract.

Sadly, what most of these dumbasses don't realize is that most apartment complexes will allow flags and such inside of the balcony, but they try to hang it on the outside....breaking the terms of the lease.

I leave you with a quote from the late George Carlin:

symbols are for the symbol-minded

edit on 9/21/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: nomickeyshere
It is actually against the law to ban the display of the US flag.......sue the commie bastards

No it's not. The Flag Protection Act was deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1990.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
A serious question to all my fellow members that disagree:

Would you support the apartment management if the flag was a Mexico flag? How about Iranian or Chinese? Would it be ok to make them take it down then?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Would you support the apartment management if the flag was a Mexico flag? How about Iranian or Chinese? Would it be ok to make them take it down then?

If it were any other flag than the US flag, then we wouldn't be discussing it because there would never have been an issue.

Personally, anyone can fly any flag they choose.

(I prefer the Jolly Rodger myself. Ar.)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If it were any other flag than the US flag, then we wouldn't be discussing it because there would never have been an issue.

Personally, anyone can fly any flag they choose.

(I prefer the Jolly Rodger myself. Ar.)

Right, Beez. The only reason this is an issue is because the Breitbart-types fall for the propaganda outrage machine.

People should be able to fly any flag they want, unless the property owner says you can't fly any flag at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

If I disagree that English should be the official language of the USA,

Does that make me a bad American?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

I would not support the management. I'd support the person, whether or not it was an American, Chinese, Mexican, Iranian, Communist, Stars & Bars, Anarchist, Rainbow, Feminist, etc, etc.

Not everyone who took offense to the letter is a right-winger. Some of us realize the right/left battle is a distraction. No matter what the source is, be it left or right, the incident shows how petty people can truly be.

America, despite becoming a totalitarian cesspool, still has some basic rights given to their citizens. People who fly the flag are proud they can display it for different reasons.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Flying a flag of the United States of America in the United States of America is offensive to foreigners, lol. Of course it is!!! What a joke!

I would never ever find it offensive if a citizen of another country, that I was visiting or living in, was flying the flag of their country at their home.

If I lived in that apartment complex, I would move. Many members of my family fought in wars and a few of them died in those wars. This apartment complexes actions are offensive to all veterans.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Diderot
a reply to: ausername

If I disagree that English should be the official language of the USA,

Does that make me a bad American?

Nyet.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If people want the right to fly a flag, they should probably buy their own place, somewhere without a neighborhood association. When you rent, you sign a contract, agreeing to live by the rules they set. Same with moving into a place where there is a neighborhood association. Sometimes the rules suck, if you think they suck, don't move there. I would be more supportive, if the rules were changed after they moved in and signed the contract.

Anyways, its a moot point, the owner caved. Hopefully it won't have a domino effect, and create a hostile environment.
edit on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:14:22 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What country are the building owners from?? Cause I somehow doubt that they are 'Murican

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje
What if they are? What if they just saw the danger, and decided to let no one decorate outside, instead of letting everybody? They let an american flag fly, now they better let them all fly, or they open themselves up to discrimination charges. What if tomorrow the patriots wake up and see their building covered with foreign flags, drowning out their solo american flag?
edit on Sun, 21 Sep 2014 19:45:23 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

America, despite becoming a totalitarian cesspool, still has some basic rights given to their citizens. People who fly the flag are proud they can display it for different reasons.

That's right. We do have basic rights and that includes the right to dictate what can be displayed on your own private property. Why support this asshat for complaining about something that was clearly defined in his agreement?

If we allow flags, why not everything else? Where does it stop? These sorts of rules are put in place for a damned reason and if you want to display a flag, put it inside the balcony...not over it.

Our rights end when it impedes on the rights of others and that includes private property owners.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
What if they are? What if they just saw the danger, and decided to let no one decorate outside, instead of letting everybody? They let an american flag fly, now they better let them all fly, or they open themselves up to discrimination charges. What if tomorrow the patriots wake up and see their building covered with foreign flags, drowning out their solo american flag?

They will complain about it and there will be an article on many sites trashing them.

This entire issue is hypocritical and the so-called patriots pick and choose what is patriotic according to their own set of twisted criteria.

They sound like a bunch of whiny liberals trying to push their version of political correctness onto the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

They will complain about it and there will be an article on many sites trashing them.

This entire issue is hypocritical and the so-called patriots pick and choose what is patriotic according to their own set of twisted criteria.

They sound like a bunch of whiny liberals trying to push their version of political correctness onto the rest of us.

No offense meant, but from reading your posts, you seem to be the definition of not just a whiney liberal, but a flaming liberal as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

No offense meant, but from reading your posts, you seem to be the definition of not just a whiney liberal, but a flaming liberal as well.

Really?

What did I say to give you that impression?

Is it my belief in the constitution and that our freedoms are clearly defined by the constitution?

Perhaps it's my pro-2nd amendment stance or the belief that all people have rights....but they end when they impede on the rights of others?

I believe my posts have reflected what it means to live in a republic more than the cry-baby attitudes of those that whine when their symbol is not allowed to hang from a balcony like a pair of wet jeans.

I'm used to statements such as yours. Very few people understand that freedom transcends the emotional reactions to outright propaganda.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join