It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC warns 500,000 will be infected with Ebola by January

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: windwaker

1.4 freaking million,,,,,really?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Thats what their saying... freaky

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Seems like a whole lot more have been infected than there telling us? Or didn't they know until now?

You guys think its airborne now??

60% kill rate plus 1.4 mil infected...lowers head!

edit on 23-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

yea... maybe

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome
a reply to: rigel4

The higher 1.4 million figure is based on 2 assumptions - 1. NO additional support, and 2. current case counts are off by about 75%. ....But 500,000 or 1.4 million - both way high. One is only 6 weeks behind the other for hitting 2 billion.

PS. BobAthome - I used the headline straight from the source as required for "Breaking News."

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Again, the figures have been revised upwards. Again. The message is clear: Stop the Ebola epidemic now, or live with it forever.

Ebola Cases Could Reach 1.4 Million Within Four Months, C.D.C. Estimates

Yet another set of ominous projections about the Ebola epidemic in West Africa was released Tuesday, in a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that gave worst- and best-case estimates for Liberia and Sierra Leone based on computer modeling.

In the worst-case scenario, the two countries could have a total of 21,000 cases of Ebola by Sept. 30 and 1.4 million cases by Jan. 20 if the disease keeps spreading without effective methods to contain it. These figures take into account the fact that many cases go undetected, and estimate that there are actually 2.5 times as many as reported.

Health Agency’s New Assessment of Epidemic Is More Dire Still

New figures published Monday by the World Health Organization reveal a far worse outlook than it had previously anticipated for the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.

In addition to predicting many more cases and deaths, the new report for the first time raises the possibility that the epidemic will not be brought under control and that the disease will become endemic in West Africa, meaning that it could reach a steady state and become a constant presence there.

“The epidemiologic outlook is bleak,” the report said.

If control does not improve now, there will be more than 20,000 cases by Nov. 2, and the numbers of cases and deaths will continue increasing from hundreds to thousands per week for months to come, according to the report. The death rate is about 70 percent in each of the heavily affected countries, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

From FearYourMind: CDC Predicts 1 Million Ebola Cases by January 2015

edit on 23/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Time to nuke the locations with Ebola? Less would die that way no?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

The majority are intermingled among species, and they only become extremely dangerous in that stages when they hop species barriers. It may be how this current one got started, or it may not be. In any case, if it really was the real deal I would quite expect it to cross continents and it has had plenty of time and opportunity by now, or if not in some dormant stage like is you said and likely in an animal host such as ie livestock.

In all if it does come over the ocean, expect people to react the same way. It is only logical, at first they dont want it to come to there continent, so quarantine them. Then if it shifts over to there continent they would not want to come to there city, so quarantine them. Then if it comes to there city they dont want it in there town, so quarantine them. And if it reaches there town, they dont want it to come to their neighborhood so quarantine them. And if it reaches there neighborhood. Well that neighbor guy who coughed this morning is sure acting suspicious, so lets quarantine him.

We shall see come January or February if this is all still raging or if it all exponentially grows to reach those numbers. Generally its the ones you dont suspect and never see coming that get you in the end. And there is a perfectly logical reason why its always that way. Its because the ones you do suspect you generally try to take at the very least some measure to avoid it.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

nuke wouldn't work and might cause the virus to spread and change even faster. People would panic after the first couple and no way to make sure all infected humans and animals are in the blast zone. The one that survive would travel to other regions and other nation would send help. Which would cause a larger infected area, this is also putting aside the lasting damage a nuke would cause.

A pitch and burn would be a better option, still just as horrible on the moral level. But more control and less long term damage. You still run a high risk of a panic spread, which is always a problem when you just try to destroy all carriers.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Thousands of workers travel in and out of Africa daily, from mining, agriculture, and other businesses. It is only a matter of time before it gets out of Africa. If it reaches a high density population area, like China,there could be a serious outbreak. If this spreads globally, it could potentially be severe. Although the more developed countries may fare better because of better information disemination and sanitation.In a worse case scenario,the only thing the average person could do is stock up on food, self isolate, and hunker down at home for literally months until it burns itself out. In the mean time infrastructure and society collapses, or changes to adapt to the conditions. Unless its airborne, IMHO it wont be as bad as in Africa. Unfortunately African countries have very substandard sanitation and are overcrowded, which I am sure is contributing to this thing getting so out of hand.
edit on 24-9-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Is it airbourne yet?

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
i worry about a lot of things i probably shouldnt but ebola is not one of them.
i have been reading the threads and i see the news headlines. yesterday the cdc was saying 1.4 mill could be infected by january.

it does seem like certain regions in africa are about to have a bad time and lost a lot of people.

im just not concerned with an outbreak in the northern US.

i feel bad for the people in africa but im glad its there and not here. i can tell you that

edit*
i also think the US needs to stay away until those regions are doing everything they possibly can.

everything means cremating the dead as well...

oh bu they cant do that for cultural and religious reasons......

well for not wanting to be dead reasons the US needs to stay home. those regions are not doing all they can do to contain this.

it sucks for all the innocent people that are going to die but that still does not make it the problem of other nations.

edit on 24-9-2014 by CardiffGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

African Economy is very low on my list of priority's.

As for lack of commercial flights restricting aid? Well that's a dam shame but really a issue for those with the logistic capability's.

Fact is I don't want people from these infected country's coming to MY country.

im with you..nothing down there is really a priority for me.

the place has been a dump forever. its going to be a dump forever.

as far as all the exports......i think that is a non issue too

there is a thread where i was going back and forth with someone so there are lots of links. we dont export that much from those areas....not in the grand scheme of things.

also, if we lose our exports then we lose them...... we will get by.
going down there to save the people and the region is not our job. we need to stay far, far away from there..

i certainly dont want people to suffer and die.....it must happen though, i prefer it to be in sub sahara africa and not north east ohio

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The only way I see the virus making a large dent in the US would be if it was used as a weapon. If it's just brought over I don't think we'd get a large outbreak. But if some person or group used it as a weapon. Say by spreading it like a bio dirty bomb in high population areas. Than we'll have a problem. But I don't see this happening.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Losing some people for the greater good of the many? That's your philosophy, right?

So if (heaven forbid) Ebola ever spreads to your region, then you'll accept being nuked, I take it? After all, it's for the greater good. Correct?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

originally posted by: JustMike

Losing some people for the greater good of the many? That's your philosophy, right?

So if (heaven forbid) Ebola ever spreads to your region, then you'll accept being nuked, I take it? After all, it's for the greater good. Correct?

Check this out, it had to be said. Why Quarantine Won't Stop the Ebola Epidemic in West Africa

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

New Scientist was saying this week that numbers are heading for the 'million.'

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The model revealed that, for a given population in a West African country, if there were no precaution of recovering, even if the total number of infected populations is very small, the entire population of that country would all die in a very short period of time. 

On the Mathematical Analysis of Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever: Deathly Infection Disease in West African Countries

Due to several factors once a certain percentage of the population is infected, it all goes downhill. Only so many people can ne treated at one time, no matter how advanced or backwards a culture is.

It takes teams of people per patient. It doesnt take long to figure out once a sizable portion of your population is either infected with or treating someone who is infected, other thibgs slip by the wayside.

It just avalances from there unless something is done to bring it under control.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Those numbers just keep climbing, don't they?

World wakes up to Ebola as cases set to top 1 million

Only decisive action can stop the virus becoming entrenched in Africa and spreading elsewhere, say epidemiologists

The world has finally got serious about Ebola. In a first for a public health threat, the United Nations has launched the kind of response it normally reserves for war zones. Meanwhile, the US, UK and France are sending troops to build treatment units, train health workers and keep order.

It's not a moment too soon: the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warn that without a massive effort to slow the epidemic, a million people in West Africa could have Ebola by January. Some will carry it elsewhere, and the virus may circulate non-stop in Africa for the foreseeable future.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Only so many people can ne treated at one time, no matter how advanced or backwards a culture is.

It takes teams of people per patient. It doesnt take long to figure out once a sizable portion of your population is either infected with or treating someone who is infected, other thibgs slip by the wayside.

It just avalances from there unless something is done to bring it under control.

Thanks. Worth repeating.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join