It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sucking at the only thing you're interested in

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: introspectionist
My only interest is reading books, but I'm a really slow reader. [SNIP] it sucks not being good at anything.

edit on Sun Sep 21 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

Reading books isn't a competition.
Read because it brings you enjoyment, because you are learning, because it transports you some place.
Take as long as you need to finish, the great thing with words is they don't have an expiration date.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: introspectionist

"sucking at the only thing you're interested in"

Do you know how dirty that sounds?

What do you think would happen if you read a book about speed reading? Would your clock get confused and stop working?

All joking aside.........define slow.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Stay on the internet a lot more and keep reading about whatever interests you on the internet, you'll learn to read faster. Even if you just stay on ATS reading different threads and posts you'll get better/faster at reading. The bonus is that you will also get better at typing faster, too.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

aha! i've got the thing for you!. Well, not for paper books anyway. If you want to read digitally, get a 'skimming' program. I've got one on my phone and I can read almost 500 words a minute. I enjoy reading as well but it's the back and forth of my eye left to right that keeps throwing me off. I tend to naturally want to skim and read fast but my eye wanders all over the text up,down, skip a line etc. A skimming program spells out the words one letter at at a time and you can just set your brain to auto pilot and stare at a single spot. It's very effective and I find it draws me into the text without my mind or eye wandering. Like downloading information. Check one out.

abcnews.go.com...
edit on 21-9-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy

My only interest is reading books, but I'm a really slow reader. Fuk it sucks not being good at anything.

Being a slow reader simply allows one to absorb the content more, compared to others who speed there way though. Enjoy.

Bingo! First time i read novels i usually race through them due to excitement, but i read them slooow the second time and really savour the writing.

Slow is good, just ask the mrs

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

There is speed reading...popular...dbls speed...look it up..speed reading..Evelyn Wood

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

My only interest is reading books, but I'm a really slow reader. [SNIP] it sucks not being good at anything.

edit on Sun Sep 21 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

\
by who's standards are you scaling yourself?
Why must you do that?
What do you want to do/be?
Are you working at it?
How/why not?
Answer these and you are on your way to finding yourself (somewhat).

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Perhaps you can read books that will help you to read better. I'm not being sarcastic, just something I thought I'd mention if it helps.

With anything one does the more you do it the better you get.

Is it a comprehension issue or dyslexia or anything along those lines? There are ways to help. For instance children with add find it easier to use a lightly coloured plastic sheet that you slide to each new sentence and that way you aren't distracted by all the other words overwhelming you.

I think you're going to do great. Just enjoy reading and be proud of yourself. We all start somewhere and you will get better. Practice, practice. Sounds lame but it's so true.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
there is no better or worse....yeah you may read slower than many but who cares. Immerse yourself in those paragraphs and to heck with the world around you

THAT you are good at

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thats a good point.. if you enjoy it or get something out of it, then your good at it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join