It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I chose the article because it's divisive and I think this need to be part of the political conversation and we need to really figure out what's going on not because I'm gung hoe in believing it.

Exactly. Propaganda pieces promote divisiveness too. The Millennials who believe this truly expresses a generation they think of as their own find wonderful phrases to bolster that confidence of success. While others who do not agree with it argue the points back and forth. To my eyes the issue here is not Millianials good or bad but the propagandistic nature of the article itself. I did not suppose you or anyone would be in total agreement with any list as long as that one.

Really, the Elite Daily the Voice of Generation-Y????? Mighty adventurous claims.

One or two others mentioned that it sounded like it came out of the sixties, Well it does but it also sounds like it had been around much longer. Dale Breckenridge Carnegie (November 24, 1888 – November 1, 1955) was an American writer and lecturer and the developer of famous courses in self-improvement, salesmanship, corporate training. His most famous work was a book titled How to Win Friends and Influence People. This feel good about yourself is exactly the kind of stuff he preached. Not only did he preach it to the masses in his books but he also preached it to salesmen and was hired by many corporations to instill its people with desire to succeed in the business of the coroporation. Again I point out that not once does the piece you found suggest anything other than success within a corporate structure.
edit on 21-9-2014 by TerryMcGuire because: sp

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
They should be called ME-llenials because all they think about are themselves.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

a reply to: Ameilia

Then why did you tell them that they could be anything they wanted?

Are you serious? I'm 33 years old. I've spent my entire life since I was 18 explaining to people just like this what they were doing was the wrong thing. And now you (general 'you') have the results of their behavior.

I have had upteen Millennials explain to me how "lucky" I am to have a house, two cars, no debt, and a husband.
All I can think is: eff off! When someone says that to me.

While they spent their early 20's getting into debt and partying their way through college, I worked two jobs and built my own business. See the difference? I worked for it by having and following my plan while they partied and waited for the good things to just walk into their lives. No. It doesn't walk into your life. YOU have to make it happen. YOU have to reach out and take something.

Good lord someone gets it..... Congrats young lady for understanding hard work and sacrifice got you to where you are today. Congrats on all that you have EARNED... You are a rare breed in today's world.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

It's not just work hard anymore, but it's Why?

For what?

As a boss, I'd say worry about the "why" on your own time. When I'm signing your pay checks, I'm only concerned that you show up on time, can do the job reliably, and are consistent and reliable with your work.

As for hard work, if you can't handle the responsibility, don't take the job. But there are very few jobs out there with no responsibility and high salaries.

"But there are very few jobs out there with no responsibility and high salaries."

Those are the jobs of politicians.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: Aazadan

Sounds like a defeatist attitude. You think you have it harder than every other generation before you? That we don't understand? (I guess because we were all born already old)

Every generation is smarter than the one before it, though ignorant as well. They don't have the accumulated knowledge, common sense and wisdom yet of the previous one. By the time they acquire it, the next gen will be calling you out as well as not understanding their needs and wants.

But that's the question here isn't it?

I think that the millennial generation and those following have been screwed over because no one has explained to them the differences between "needs" and "wants" concerning life.

Perhaps, I'm a bit of a pessimist. In a more optimistic way of looking at things, my generation has some serious skills, we understand technology in a way others don't and some of us that do have jobs have gotten to use it in interesting ways.

Others had it hard when young too but it's nothing like it is today. The purchasing power from wages was considerably higher, the number of hours you could work was higher, and your jobs were career paths.

If you want to talk needs vs wants I'll use my possessions:
Need - Car so I can attend work/school, Gas to put in my car, Shelter as a permanent mailing address and so I don't die of exposure. Food so I don't starve. Water so I don't dehydrate, can cook, and take showers. A phone. Computer and internet because they're required for my school program.

Wants - A coffee from starbucks, a can of beer, a tv, a ps4, furniture (couch, bed, table, etc), shelter larger than a studio apt.

These are wants. They make you happier. The first list is needs, without them you can't get an education and you can't work.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   

They don't have the accumulated knowledge, common sense and wisdom yet of the previous one.

common sense and wisdom

Being old does not auto-magically endow one with these qualities, as youth nor the generation your were raised in do not disqualify one from having them.

As for:

accumulated knowledge

Imho with the internet they have the most accumulated knowledge that has ever been available to man in history.

I am not saying you're opinions are completely wrong, just that they're not 100% right.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
originally posted by: MarlinGrace

"But there are very few jobs out there with no responsibility and high salaries."

Those are the jobs of politicians.

So very true, and yet so very wrong that it is this way!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This is the me, me, me culture.

Most people I know exhibit many of these traits, except the selfish bits designed to alienate and antagonise others.

People want to be different, and that should be celebrated and embraced, but this manifesto is a selfish kind of difference, where no one is important but the self.

23. We have that “f*ck you” attitude.

See what I mean.

Regards

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I am not saying you're opinions are completely wrong, just that they're not 100% right.

But you know the difference.

my youngest graduated highs school in June, in July he went to work 12hrs a day 7 days a week. He was told the job was 60 days, but when he was asked to stay on a few more weeks for the clean up he did to build his reputation; now he has 3 companies offering him work.

At least it seemed so to me. The article goes against everything you articulated above. And, don't tell me you're not proud of your boy and the values you've instilled in him.

My job is about the least important aspect of my life. In truth, I only do it because I was called up for it, but I do it well because that is the expectation of the segment of society which writes those paychecks I bank.

The OP wants to re-define ethics. What gave them that right?

I'm a widely traveled US citizen ... worldly may be a better way to say it. America is not keeping pace and a job doesn't stand still while someone ponders. Your son gabbed his with both hands and shook the Hell out of it. His roar must have been noticed and now opportunity's just knocking away. Sounds old-school to me. Can I say I'm proud of him, too?

-Cheers

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Ive just learned that im a millennial. I am in the type of situation to where im living with my mother,dont have a vehicle, and is seriously craving to start my own life on my own with my own responsibilities. I got laid off from my job almost 2 years ago due to lack of work and haven't been able to find work since, i live in a small rural area and jobs are very difficult to come by ive even put many apps in at fast food places. ive put my app in nearly everywhere, even places where im not qualified just for the hell of it.I want to goto college but im terrified of the insane debt, and i dont have the money to just pick up and move to the city where i would possibly be guaranteed a job.i will never expect my family to pay my way through life and not being able to find work and putting my burden on my family is tearing me up inside. it may sound like a defeatist attitude but i feel utterly unable to get a footing in life and i dont know what to do.Its the same story with many of my friends either they are in the same boat as me or they are working jobs where they barely get 20 hours a week at minimum wage.im not saying i have it harder than other generations but its starting to feel pretty hopeless.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thanks for your reply!

I will admit I find it somewhat confusing, so please bear with me as I try to reply.

First I would agree my boy saw an opportunity and he did strive to achieve it. He got a decent paying job $20 a hour and he gets over 50 hours of overtime each week. I feel that this motivated him to have better work ethics than someone working at Mickey Dees for 20 to 30 hours a week at minimalistic wages.

From my own experience work ethics are one side of a two way street, meaning if my employer pays me a good wage and treats me with respect, I will go the extra mile for them. It seems that employers ethics are just as important, if not more so than the workers, yet for some reason that is seldom discussed, why?

I would add our environment here in AK promotes doing when the weather allows, so long hours in the summer are expected and seem natural to those working outdoors.

Ethics of the corps / banks / Gov have been under going a lot of change which has caused Millennial's to have a different view of the job market / life and it has certainly effected their work ethics.

My point being that not all the Millennial generation has gone rogue, just like all employers are not misers.

Both sides need to improve their ethics to achieve mutual respect, until then we will have a broken system.

Otoh, there always was and will always be those that just do not function in our society. In the past many misfits had their place as explorers, mountain men, the cowboys and etc. and as such society benefited from their differences. Today there are few places left for this type of person, so society labels them as worthless.

I hope that helps you to understand my posts!

Cheers!

Edit: Yes you can say your proud of my boy; I wish every young adult had those type of opportunities.

edit on 21-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: added edit line

edit on 21-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: punctuation

edit on 21-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: grammar mistake corrected

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Those who are successful are often full of themselves. They worked hard, got rich, so why can't everyone else? Bull#. They hit a groove that was due to luck more than anything else. I am nearly 63, and have worked in the aerospace industry since I graduated when I was 20. Seeing many layoffs, which fortunately, due to good luck, I escaped. Many hard working, well educated people lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Often they lost their jobs due to pure whim of management, who either wanted to make their quarterly profit better, or who thought it was a good idea to create "uncertainty" - to instill fear in the workforce.
Laying off employees is a rare necessity. If an engineer needs to be fired, it is usually because management (such as myself) failed to properly lead and train the engineer. It is much more a failure of management than of the individual. There are rare exceptions, however, where an individual has character flaws which surface after they are hired, where they need to be fired.
The young of today are entering a much crueler world than the one I entered. It has always been a cruel world, I remember the aerospace bust of 1969, where many engineers could not find any employment. However, there were always jobs available that put food on the table. Waitresses were paid more, there were always jobs available such as being a car salesman. The minimum wage had more purchasing power in 1968 than it does today. Part time employment to avoid paying benefits was minimal. Overtime paid time and a half.
At some point the young will revolt, at the ballot box or otherwise. Push the pendulum too far in one direction, and it will come swinging back harder in the opposite direction. For every action, there is an opposite and equal reaction.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I support and applaud your enthusiasm and you do make some good points.

However, this whole "Millennials are the more better bestest generation" crap kills the moment.

I've raised two 'Millennials' neither have an over bloated artificially inflated ego and this higher opinion of self as do some.

edit on 21-9-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
The list reminds me of the 60's except the new technologies.

Yep it sounds exactly like something the children of the 60's did say before they turned 30, and look what an awful mess we made of things.

And the "steller politicians" we turned out like tom cat Clinton on one side and the much complained about Bush on the other.

Thank God crazy Pelosi isn't one of us, but Boehner is.

We have turned the USA into a facist state so deeply in debt that we'll never crawl out, and our priorities put illegal immigrants above americans who are out of work. We are a nasty piece of work in the end.

edit on 7Sun, 21 Sep 2014 07:24:15 -0500am92109amk210 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
yet another round of us vs them mentality
exactly what the system expects from each new generation in order to reassert itself from its own ashes
they are the new tyrants and the new slaves
for every new generation comes like that and ends up CEO in some corporation
and whomever wont fit that seemingly revolutionary list will shoot on sight

the lord of this world has its tentacles much deeper than you think

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Oh boy, thoughts expressed like the OP is why our Country is in the shape it's in. It's also why us "greedy business owners" have no problem telling you to pound sand and seek employment elsewhere.

Congrats on your I, me, mine, fu## the man attitude. I hope it takes you far.

Idiots!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Step aside Millenials, Generation X (1960's to the 1980's) is getting ready to take over as the baby boomers retire.

You snot nosed entitled brats can stay in the back seat for another 20 years till you EARN the right to be in front.

political positions, the boss you report to will all be ours and you can wait your turn.

Not everyone get's to play T-ball and win a trophy.

You are not world changers or paradigm shifters. You were handed everything on a platter and now it is time to pay your dues.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

a reply to: Aazadan

Sounds like a defeatist attitude. You think you have it harder than every other generation before you? That we don't understand? (I guess because we were all born already old)

Every generation is smarter than the one before it, though ignorant as well. They don't have the accumulated knowledge, common sense and wisdom yet of the previous one. By the time they acquire it, the next gen will be calling you out as well as not understanding their needs and wants.

But that's the question here isn't it?

I think that the millennial generation and those following have been screwed over because no one has explained to them the differences between "needs" and "wants" concerning life.

Perhaps, I'm a bit of a pessimist. In a more optimistic way of looking at things, my generation has some serious skills, we understand technology in a way others don't and some of us that do have jobs have gotten to use it in interesting ways.

Others had it hard when young too but it's nothing like it is today. The purchasing power from wages was considerably higher, the number of hours you could work was higher, and your jobs were career paths.

If you want to talk needs vs wants I'll use my possessions:
Need - Car so I can attend work/school, Gas to put in my car, Shelter as a permanent mailing address and so I don't die of exposure. Food so I don't starve. Water so I don't dehydrate, can cook, and take showers. A phone. Computer and internet because they're required for my school program.

Wants - A coffee from starbucks, a can of beer, a tv, a ps4, furniture (couch, bed, table, etc), shelter larger than a studio apt.

These are wants. They make you happier. The first list is needs, without them you can't get an education and you can't work.

Well...you do get it. I'm a optimistic pessimist myself. Hope for (and work for the best in life) but try to expect the worst as well.

One of the things that many of todays younger generation seems to fail to realize is that the Boomers made what is available to them today, so we do understand tech. And we expect to you take it even further. That's a challenge by the way to the younger generation. We took things a step further, so can you.

BTW, it's not easy. There are a lot of roadblocks in life. But I have faith in your generation...even if I do find y'all annoying at times.
But I know I was beyond annoying to my folks as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Rabb420

Here's an idea for you.

www.reddit.com...

Hard physical work, and definitely not for all. But most times to get a head, sacrifices have to be made. One or two years of busting your balls and you could have a nice cushion to pursue your dreams.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I also think that to many people view millennials like this...and they do have a point.

(hat tip to douglas5)
edit on 21-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join