It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: beezzer

Is that what you see in your work place?

No. Because I will fire people who are not reliable and have no work ethic.

Or

Is that what you see in the article?

That's what I'm getting from the article.

Would really like to see more on taking responsibility, honoring workplace values.

Not everything authored is right the general idea of the author is that of dissent that's what's really being discussed.

Is what you see always what the truth?

Truth is subjective.

Values, ethics, responsibility, willingness to take orders and directions, reliability.

What's so wrong about those values.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Nothing.

I think there's more at play here.

Our cultural memes are more then just actions there's more to it, there's a conscious aspect to everything.

It's not just work hard anymore, but it's Why?

For what?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Ameilia

They did the work believing the lies by getting degrees.

No. Right there you sum up the ENTIRE PROBLEM with Millenials.

Simply completing college does not guarantee that one walks right into the job of their dreams and a dream house with a family vacation to somewhere exotic every year. Yet this is what they think. This despite:

-the fact they get degrees without considering the marketability of their skill/knowledge, instead choosing something 'they want to do'

-that they have no or little job experience

-that they have no or little work ethic

And then wonder why they are swamped in debt and don't have a nice house. They expect the same household that their parents have somehow neglecting to notice their parents worked for 20, 30, 40 years before getting that house, with those items in it.

You don't simply graduate, then get handed your perfect job and living situation. Work for it.
edit on 9/21/14 by Ameilia because: spelling!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Then why did you tell them that they could be anything they wanted?

What work, where?
edit on 9/21/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Read your own signature.
edit on 9/21/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Are you serious? I'm 33 years old. I've spent my entire life since I was 18 explaining to people just like this what they were doing was the wrong thing. And now you (general 'you') have the results of their behavior.

I have had upteen Millennials explain to me how "lucky" I am to have a house, two cars, no debt, and a husband.
All I can think is: eff off! When someone says that to me.

While they spent their early 20's getting into debt and partying their way through college, I worked two jobs and built my own business. See the difference? I worked for it by having and following my plan while they partied and waited for the good things to just walk into their lives. No. It doesn't walk into your life. YOU have to make it happen. YOU have to reach out and take something.
edit on 9/21/14 by Ameilia because: spelling!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

What work, where?

Read your own signature.

Read my own signature! You're missing the point, mate!

The whole point is: I worked for it instead of waiting for it to be handed to me.

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say it: quit waiting for everything to be handed to you. Work something out for yourself. Go read the thread in my signature and get out of the proverbial parent's basement!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

For what?

As a boss, I'd say worry about the "why" on your own time. When I'm signing your pay checks, I'm only concerned that you show up on time, can do the job reliably, and are consistent and reliable with your work.

As for hard work, if you can't handle the responsibility, don't take the job. But there are very few jobs out there with no responsibility and high salaries.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
No attack from me here EQ but this list sounds like it was created as a feel good mantra by Dale Carnegie.
I mean come on. "The Elite Daily"??? The Voice of Generation -Y????

Honestly, no attack. But honestly seems more to me that this is exactly how corporate America WANTS Millennials to think.
The whole list points to not over throwing the system but succeeding IN it.
Try looking at it from this point of view and it easily can be seen as an adrenaline tipped arrow aimed straight at the ego of a generation. Propaganda my friend. Very smooth propaganda.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I chose the article because it's divisive and I think this need to be part of the political conversation and we need to really figure out what's going on not because I'm gung hoe in believing it.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
The baby boomers are the ones who grew up without hardship. The millenials are the new greatest generation except it's gonna be for peace not war.

LOL, pretentious are we? Saying that is like any number of Bands comparing themselves to the Beatles. Big talk for a generation who hasn't done squat, and doesn't look to for a long time. Keep patting yourself on the back, no one else is going to do that.

Millennial Is the new Indigo. This too shall pass... .

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Nothing.

I think there's more at play here.

Our cultural memes are more then just actions there's more to it, there's a conscious aspect to everything.

For what?

Why work hard?

Because you want to eat. You want your family to eat. Bacause you take pride in all that you do whether it's working at McD's or NASA.

For what?

To have a roof over your head instead of living in some shanty town. To be able to do the things you enjoy. Vacations. Sports. Gaming. Knitting. To contribute to the world. To contribute to your community. Pick your poison.

If nobody worked, none of us would have anything. It's like the circle if life... Every job that is done leads to another. Each providing something to continue the cycle. Remove enough of those things in the circle and none of us would have shiite.

No food because nobody wants to grow it or harvest it. Starve to death waiting for someone who feels like they might want to harvest the crops this year. That is if the mood is right.

People are dreaming of a utopia that will never exist because people don't always do what they are supposed to.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

so what's going on and what's the solution?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

LOL ... did you read the tag-line of the author?

Those who can - do. Those who can't - teach. Those who can't teach - take up writing and produce drivel.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

a reply to: AlaskanDad

Those young whipper snappers couldn't walk a mile in my shoes!

My meaning was; every generation has many of those that could not walk a mile in your shoes and each generation has a few that will go the extra mile. No matter which generation you're from if you want more than just surviving you had better be willing to put out the effort to get there.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I'm a millennial. It's not so much about work ethic as it is about appropriate compensation. I see where people are coming from, personally I don't call in sick, I make it a point to show up atleast a few minutes early for work every day, I don't cut corners when the time for the day is nearly up, I run perfect attendance in school (lots of college for me). Most of my generation doesn't do that though, and I can't really blame them.

My generation entered the work force well into the period of wage stagnation, we didn't get to experience the economic booms of the 80's and 90's. Instead we got the recession of the early 2000's, the outsourcing of labor, the newly reformed predatory college loan system, and as our careers were supposed to start getting established 2008 happened and as a generation we saw any hope of a home, early retirement, or even great paying jobs simply vanish. From the time my generation has started working we have never even seen a checking account interest rate above 3%.

We're the most educated generation in the history of the world, but we're also the most in debt, have the fewest job prospects, and carry an unemployment rate so high that large numbers of us can't even get accustomed to the idea of working because the jobs for us aren't there.

My generation is screwed, and we're smart enough to see it. We recognize the established economic system simply isn't going to work.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

I was referencing snarl my apologies I agree with you.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Lol's thanks for letting me know that; I was really scratching my head over you reply and thought I must have done a poor job of expressing myself.

As for the millenial's; I hope they do change the world as it is a f'n mess now!

Glad they're not like this guy!

Archie Bunker

edit on 21-9-2014 by AlaskanDad because: Added name to go with the picture

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

In the next few weeks I'll be interviewing and hiring some additional staff for my department.

With attitudes like the ones expressed in the OP, I'm not surprised that the unemployment level is so high.

That is ok beez...

There are plenty of us in our late 30s, early 40s who are pretty tech savy and know how to behave in a professional environment..

You know, those of us who were raised with a work ethic, and are keen on the competitive nature of life..

Work hard, and get rewarded in life..
Don't go looking for hand outs..

A ribbon for "participation" would be meaningless to us...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Sounds like a defeatist attitude. You think you have it harder than every other generation before you? That we don't understand? (I guess because we were all born already old)

Every generation is smarter than the one before it, though ignorant as well. They don't have the accumulated knowledge, common sense and wisdom yet of the previous one. By the time they acquire it, the next gen will be calling you out as well as not understanding their needs and wants.

But that's the question here isn't it?

I think that the millennial generation and those following have been screwed over because no one has explained to them the differences between "needs" and "wants" concerning life.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Source

1. We play by our own rules.
As parents we always wanted you to feel and be special, but it was special to us. This was a mistake on our part now you think your sh*t doesn't stink.

2. We don’t take the first answer given to us.
No you want everything handed to you, you don't want to learn anything for yourselves. You refuse to do research and learn something about your job.

3. We don’t care about getting into trouble.
Todays corporate turnover rates prove that.

4. We’re willing to work for nothing if it means being happy… Despite being in debt.
No concept of sacrifice.

5. We know how to beat the system.
They don't even understand the system let alone know how beat it.

6. We’re always trying to change the game.
It's that bottom up mentality the government promotes. First of all its not a game,
secondly when its your company change away and stop whining when you don't get
what you think you should.

7. We have social media on our side.
Theres a bonus to society, we see you in meetings texting with friends, on the net
not paying attention, and have no idea what the meeting was about. Someone
always has to bring you up to speed later.

8. We like a good fight.
You fight with text messages, social media, and tissue in your pocket. Hardknocks
to a millennial is what your knuckles feel on a door.

9. We don’t care about the perks.
No you sure don't you don't care about anything but yourselves.

10. We hate that “old boys club” sh*t.
You're not interested in paying your dues, earning your way, or sacrifice.

11. We’re not about climbing the ladder, we’re about circumventing it.
Always the easy way, never earning or working your way through life.

12. We ask for what we want rather than implying it.
And expect to get it everytime. It's owed to you.

13. We’re not afraid to quit if we don’t like what’s going on.
Three years of unemployment checks who wouldn't!

14. We’re not on that suit and tie.
Thats because you're not qualified, dropped out of school, want someone else to
take of your school loans because they are not fair, and now have to work where they
aren't necessary. Then blame it on everyone else.

15. We’d rather start work at 10 and finish at 10.
It's all about you now isn't it, never mind the company opens at 7 or 8 am.

16. We’ve got youth on our side.
We call that immaturity, inexperience, and lack of direction.

17. We don’t have a chip on our shoulders.
Thats because earning something never occurred to you.

18. We know technology a hell of a lot better.
The boomers (Me) invented your technology, kid. Try again.

19. We’re more educated, by the book and the street.
Cell phone and a internet connection does not make one educated.

20. We’re not interested in office politics.
Thats because you are all drama queens. Which in the end is the same.

21 . We have less to lose and everything to gain.
With three years of unemployment what's to lose?

22. We don’t pursue the paycheck, we pursue the passion.
To bad passion can't be eaten, pay the rent, or make you responsible.

23. We have that “f*ck you” attitude.
What all spoiled children have when it doesn't go there way.

24. We are trying to beat the system, not just work with it.
How that working for you? lol

25. We don’t have to go to college to get ahead.
Yes McDonalds is hiring, and quit whining about minimum wages.

edit on 21-9-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2014 by MarlinGrace because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join