It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

That doesn't validate any of your positions that's just your story the issue are bigger then that.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

So what are you ranting about?

That life isn't fair?

Never has been and never will be. There will ALWAYS be the haves and have nots. This is life.

Life is hard and unfair???

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Master of deflection?

Refusal to discuss the issues brought to light in the thread?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Maybe you just don't like the answers that are given to you. Could that be it?

Many of us have gone through hard times as well, and still came out on top, to a degree.

Personally, I think that any sheepskin is worth the amount of what it costs to print it. Definitely not worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I've got through life by getting to know people (not kissing their ass either) and proving to them that I can be a benefit. No degree required...just trust.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

You won't look at the issues.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu
Student loan debts are somehow not debt? You were not encouraged to take it by "previous generations", you were encouraged to take it by bankers. How do I know this? From my OWN student loans. I also know how they will capriciously and unilaterally raise the interest after they've "hooked" you and the debt is already made. They doubked mine. That seemed a bit dishonest to me, so I dealt with it forthwith. I'm sure a bright lad like yourself can figure out a way to deal with it - I did... after paying back 150% of what I'd borrowed.

Paying back 150% of what you borrowed is low. Student loans these days are averaging closer to 400%. As far as being encouraged to take loans how many people have said goto college, learn skills, and get a career? It's been instilled in my generation from grade school. Everything from parents coming in and talking about their jobs, to guidance counselors, to teachers, to Sesame Street, to 90% of all the literature written on post high school options.

1. If you're aiming at McDonalds, you're not aiming high enough for your apparent aspirations. McDonalds jobs are for high school kids and retirees that just need something to fill their time with, or a bit of extra cash, or both. They're not intended for folks who are actually trying to make a living.

It doesn't matter who they're intended for, those are the jobs we have available. If it's not McDonalds it's data entry, or insurance sales, a few end up in customer service. There are no real jobs for us to do, that's why the country has a real unemployment rate of 37% and why it's over 50% among my generation.

2. So default on the student loans. If you're working at McDonalds, they clearly didn't do you any good, and you're not getting what you paid for. Stop paying for it. A black mark on your credit only matters if you're going to get more credit - which seems a bad idea to me. I'll have student debt until the day I die, too. What's more, I've already been guaranteed that I'll never see a dime of the social security I've already paid in when I apply for it, so I'm not going to apply for it - ever. As long as I still owe the bankers, they'll never be broke. That should make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

First of all didn't you just get done typing out that you paid off your student loans? Now you're saying you still have them. Second of all, there is no getting out of paying them. If a payment gets missed, the payments more than double, the interest rate skyrockets, and the amount you have to pay back goes way up as well. Defaulting on a student loan takes you from repaying for the rest of your life to being guaranteed that everything you earn for the rest of your life will be confiscated at death to only partially repay a debt.

Can you even begin to fathom the idea that everything your generation earns for their entire lives is simply going to be confiscated? There is no leaving anything to our children or other family members. Your generation is upset about a 50% estate tax, my generation is looking at an effective 100% estate tax.

Paid cash for it - no credit. Credit sucks, and leaves you a slave to debt, always looking over your shoulder for someone else to claim what you thought was yours if you miss a payment. besides, cash on the barrel head leaves you free and clear, nothing to worry over.

If you paid cash for a home, you clearly were able to save up that cash in the first place. In your last post you claimed you didn't save. It's one or the other, you either used credit or you used cash.

Likewise, I have little patience with people who whine about being a "wage slave" - they're not slaves to wages, they're slaves to debt, and their own greed. Without those two factors, wages take on an entirely different character, with far less urgency and no chains attached.

Then what should we have done? Not learned any job skills?

Well, I'm not hip to "wage stagnation". If mine are too stagnant, I go do something else. I'm not sure what interest rates are now, since I don't do credit. I paid between 14% and 18% in the 80's and into the 90's, so I shudder to think what you must be paying now if that's "low". All the more reason to stay out of debt and ignore interest rates altogether.

You paid those rates at a time when returns for savings also matched those loan interest rates. These days it's more like 10% interest in a loan you take but 0.25% in interest on your savings.

Guess how that group got to those "highest wages"... go on, guess! They started on the bottom, and back in those days we had this thing called a "raise", where, if you were valuable, every so often your wages got "raised", which I guess is how it got that name. Over time, those raises add up. In the late 70's, I had a job that paid 2.65 an hour. The most I ever made at any jobs in the states was 5.85 an hour through the 80's. Like I said, if it got too stagnant for me, I went and did something else, something less stagnant. Some times, that involves travel. You do what you gotta do to get off the bottom if that's not where you want to be.

We don't get raises these days. There's that little thing called wage stagnation. Our wages are going backwards, I could take myself as an example. I had more purchasing power at 18 than I do now at 30 and by a very significant amount. I could even go back just a couple years. I had more purchasing power at 25 than I do now. Wages go up at roughly 2% per year while the cost of goods is increasing at an average 10%, the cost of necessities like food is at 22% this year. Overall that means our wages are going down 8% every single year.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: TDawgRex

You won't look at the issues.

Look at issues?!

I've lived through those issues. I'm just trying to give advice. Take it or leave it.

But those issues are not going away considering they are worth 1.2 Trillion.

But then again, that's not my own personal worry.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Don't let them get you down, man. Some of us older folks believe in fairness. Some of us understand what you bright young people are going through. I feel that we older folks in this position are in the middle. We dismiss our boisterous peers, but we see that the younger generation might be missing a few points. At least the youth have a chance to develop themselves and change the planet. My peers seem hopelessly stuck in a bizarre paradigm.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Just dropping some millennial support to the OP.

Time for a new paradigm

Zero F--k$ given.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Time for a new paradigm

Zero F--k$ given.

Back at ya.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm not a millenial but I'm right there with you guys. I was just a generation before my time.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gentledissident

Oh they can't get me down I detest their arrogance and I'm willing to go to war with them.

Azalea is the most intelligent poster in this thread until someone can accurately disprove all of the facts he's brought to light then it my position that theropod debating are simpky here to "win" and not get down to the nitty gritty.

edit on 9/22/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

iPads.
edit on 9/22/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Ohhhhh you don't know what wage stagnation is but in the next paragraph you talk about raises?

That is correct - go to the head of the class. I have nary a clue what "wage stagnation" is - I don't do economics beyond my own, and like I said, if my wages get too stagnant for me, I go do something else. I DO know what raises are, though - I've gotten them before, and so the concept was clarified on my paychecks, back when I got those.

Wages not only stagnate but are going down to simple economics, supply and demand.

As the global economy integrates globally the need for qualified individuals is met at a much lower cost increasing corporate profit, which is clear in the rise of corporate profit percentages since the early 1970's.

But go on... Tell us more

Huh? Naw. You're doing a fine job - why should I dig into stuff I don't know about when I can count on you to educate me? Is that another millennial thing, expecting people to teach things they don't know? I tell what I know - "wage stagnation" is not one of those concepts. "Quitting 'cause the pay ain't enough and moving on to the next", however, IS something I know when it comes to "stagnation" and "wages".

Can't wait to read the response to your post. Apparently your generation can work hard but you don't have a grasp on economics and politics.

Your generation can work hard, too... but sometimes "can" and "will" are two entirely different things. Some of you are getting along swell, however.

I don't need to know about economics beyond my own, but politics is another matter. Do you want to talk politics now? I'm better equipped for that.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Please do not mistake my competence for arrogance. And it is a war you would likely lose as well.

"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes." John Wooden

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I'm glad your son is doing great. Good for him.

However, the numbers of our economy do not support this as a statistical average it is the exception.

Half of our country supports the other half and 69% of the jobs in this country are service sector.

So what are 50-60-70 million people going to do?

Refuse to be statistics.

You'll never get where you want to be by being a statistic - unless THAT IS where you want to be.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I'm thinking that the issue at hand is that the OP and those who support him/her realizes they screwed up and now regret it. And are just plain jealous of us neanderthals who have actually made it.

Supposed higher education requires fat cash...and now once the bills are starting to come in...they don't want to pay for it.
edit on 22-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu
That is correct - go to the head of the class. I have nary a clue what "wage stagnation" is - I don't do economics beyond my own, and like I said, if my wages get too stagnant for me, I go do something else. I DO know what raises are, though - I've gotten them before, and so the concept was clarified on my paychecks, back when I got those.

Wage stagnation is the idea that purchasing power declines over time even though the wage itself hasn't. Essentially when inflation rises faster than wages they become stagnant, this also tends to accompany times of high wealth inequality where those at the bottom see their wages go in reverse but those at the top see their wages increase well beyond the rate of inflation.

A couple pages back I posted a short example providing the cost of goods of a few different items and how long it takes one to work in order to purchase them. I gave three datapoints, 1967, 1979, and 2013. Here it's just a couple pages back on the thread. Read that and you'll have the synopsis of wage stagnation.

I don't need to know about economics beyond my own, but politics is another matter. Do you want to talk politics now? I'm better equipped for that.

If you're not in a position to discuss economics you're not in a position to discuss politics as it's heavily entwined with financing which is accomplished through wages and taxation.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: GoShredAK

Time for a new paradigm

Zero F--k$ given.

Back at ya.

Ahhh, a Stab at me from Tdawg. That's ok, set myself up for that, no worries. One of those stars was an accident.

Let it be known I'm the hardest working MF in my workplace. A strong young family man with a stronger work ethic. I was raised by a strict/badass/militiary man, my Father.

Moved to AK during the divorce, and marched even further through the gauntlet of poverty/hardwork, which equals good values and strong character.

I hold these values proudly to this day. Among others which I don't see present in many others, despite age.

So what I don't give an eff about is your stereotype brother.
edit on 22-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: Incomplete sentence

edit on 22-9-2014 by GoShredAK because: Had to take out style, my dad was air force....

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Now that your old and retired what have you done to I prove the world?

Hate to break it to ya but there are no resources for the average American.

Education is that resource and guess what, it's not helping.

The new globally integrated economy is destroying the western world as we fail to adapt to its changes.

I'm only on my fourth or fifth retirement - I'll break out again eventually. I killed folks and blew things up to improve the world. It didn't take as well in some places as it did in others, so in those places we had to run like hell to get out of, there wasn't much improvement. Others fared a bit better. I can think of one right off the top of my head that's the same crap hole it was way back when, but worse now. You improve some, and some improve YOU.

"Resources" are not just handed out to folks, so I'm not surprised that there aren't any for the "average" American - don't be average.

Whether education helps or not is largely a matter of - TA DA! Personal Responsibility. I got my education in Physics and Astronomy - it didn't help. I wasn't very responsible in making those choices. Making mistakes is how we learn best. I wound up toting a gun for a living for years and years instead.

But hey - I did it well! Some times, you just gotta find your niche in life.

I'm with ya on the whole "globally integrated economy" thing, though. I'm an isolationist at heart - I think we ought to lock down the borders and let the rest of the world trade themselves into debtor's prison whilst we got our own house in order. No imports, no exports. That'd light a fire under some job creators here, when we had to start fending for ourselves, huh?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Nothing personal. But this topic is all about personal battles in life.

I myself hate college and think it is a legalized scam these days.

Is education needed? YES! But not at the prices they are charging these days nor are half the courses needed either.

POLI-SCI? Who needs that? It's networking, nothing more. And I could go on and on.

I once believed that an education from a college meant something...not anymore.

Most degrees are worthless these days...with the exception of being a letter of debt.

edit on 22-9-2014 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join