It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlickMcFavorite
could be as simple and rewarding as working 10+ hours in the heat on your own living structure, water catchment system, food development.

Thank you. I meant to bring this up. How do you youngsters feel about making a stand with us? This is how we stop feeding the beast.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Still waiting on that answer to "kill the beast" and bring back actual jobs rather than a service sector economy.

Wait longer.

I've been busy. . . um. . . working.

Will give it a proper answer when I have the time.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan
Azaden every post you've made in this thread has been completely relevant.

So far the only response I've read is, "entitled, brat, personal responsibility"

Nothing substantial, not one person willing to look at the bigger picture and not one person who wants to see things improve overall for everyone.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

But you have plenty of time to retort inconsistent points of views in multiple threads all day.

Break down analyze and coherently respond to one of his post with something other then, " brat, entitled, personal responsibility"

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

When I'm ready to answer, I will.

When I have a proper answer, I will reply.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I await that repose and ps I know your capable of a proper response.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Where did I say credit cards? I said student loans. Credit card debt in this country is $679 billion and it's spread pretty evenly among the population. Student loan debt is nearly twice that at 1.3 trillion and 95% of that is owned by a single generation. Our entire generation is entrapped in this debt and we have no way to pay it off, we were also encouraged strongly to take it by previous generations who told each and every one of us to goto college.

Student loan debts are somehow not debt? You were not encouraged to take it by "previous generations", you were encouraged to take it by bankers. How do I know this? From my OWN student loans. I also know how they will capriciously and unilaterally raise the interest after they've "hooked" you and the debt is already made. They doubled mine. That seemed a bit dishonest to me, so I dealt with it forthwith. I'm sure a bright lad like yourself can figure out a way to deal with it - I did... after paying back 150% of what I'd borrowed.

Because we don't have the jobs. You can't buy a home on a McDonalds wage, and that's all we have for employment opportunities. You especially can't do it if you also have to pay off a loan as large as a home loan in order to get rid of your student loan debt before even thinking about it. The majority of us will be in student debt until the day we die and if we aren't well... we saw what happened in 2008, and we're the ones that ultimately have to pay for that.

1. If you're aiming at McDonalds, you're not aiming high enough for your apparent aspirations. McDonalds jobs are for high school kids and retirees that just need something to fill their time with, or a bit of extra cash, or both. They're not intended for folks who are actually trying to make a living.

2. So default on the student loans. If you're working at McDonalds, they clearly didn't do you any good, and you're not getting what you paid for. Stop paying for it. A black mark on your credit only matters if you're going to get more credit - which seems a bad idea to me. I'll have student debt until the day I die, too. What's more, I've already been guaranteed that I'll never see a dime of the social security I've already paid in when I apply for it, so I'm not going to apply for it - ever. As long as I still owe the bankers, they'll never be broke. That should make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

3. What happened in 2008 was the result of greed, and overextension of... CREDIT! People thought they could get something for nothing, and predictably got nothing for something. It's con-artist 101 - play on the mark's greed. people were buying more house than they could afford, with intent to resell it later for a profit. their greed trapped them. When I bought mine, I wasn't looking for an "investment", I was looking for a home, and a home is what I got. I got it for next to nothing, because it wasn't an "investement", nor did many other people want it - they were all looking to "invest" in what OUGHT to have been a place to live, and get rich quick in the resale. I, on the other hand, was looking for a place I could live, forever. Didn't matter if it needed work - I could do that, and it pushed the price down.

Paid cash for it - no credit. Credit sucks, and leaves you a slave to debt, always looking over your shoulder for someone else to claim what you thought was yours if you miss a payment. besides, cash on the barrel head leaves you free and clear, nothing to worry over.

I have no patience for people who want a prefab mansion, and intend to sell it off for profit, then whine and cry, piss and moan, when they get burned over their own greed.

Likewise, I have little patience with people who whine about being a "wage slave" - they're not slaves to wages, they're slaves to debt, and their own greed. Without those two factors, wages take on an entirely different character, with far less urgency and no chains attached.

The so called grownups got to take advantage of the interest rates of the 80's and 90's, then they got to take advantage of working under less wage stagnation. The older generation at this point is coincidentally enough also the group that makes the most money, and therefore the group that has been impacted the least by stagnant wages. It's those on the bottom that have been impacted the most.

Well, I'm not hip to "wage stagnation". If mine are too stagnant, I go do something else. I'm not sure what interest rates are now, since I don't do credit. I paid between 14% and 18% in the 80's and into the 90's, so I shudder to think what you must be paying now if that's "low". All the more reason to stay out of debt and ignore interest rates altogether.

Guess how that group got to those "highest wages"... go on, guess! They started on the bottom, and back in those days we had this thing called a "raise", where, if you were valuable, every so often your wages got "raised", which I guess is how it got that name. Over time, those raises add up. In the late 70's, I had a job that paid 2.65 an hour. The most I ever made at any jobs in the states was 5.85 an hour through the 80's. Like I said, if it got too stagnant for me, I went and did something else, something less stagnant. Some times, that involves travel. You do what you gotta do to get off the bottom if that's not where you want to be.

No incentive to save money yet you bought two houses and somehow didn't have home loans for them. I don't believe you.

I don't care if you believe it or not. if I'd saved the money, I wouldn't HAVE the houses - that ain't rocket surgery. You get what you pay for, and you pay for what you get.

When you pay for what you get, there ain't much saving gets done.

edit on 2014/9/22 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Speak the truth! I love it!

High school drop out,formerly homeless and no degree and yet still retired at 48.

I'm sick of many blaming others for their own mistakes.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Ohhhhh you don't know what wage stagnation is but in the next paragraph you talk about raises?

Wages not only stagnate but are going down to simple economics, supply and demand.

As the global economy integrates globally the need for qualified individuals is met at a much lower cost increasing corporate profit, which is clear in the rise of corporate profit percentages since the early 1970's.

But go on... Tell us more

Can't wait to read the response to your post. Apparently your generation can work hard but you don't have a grasp on economics and politics.

edit on 9/22/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Breakdown and responds to the individual points rather then strawman.

If you can't your in over head.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

It sounds like you raised a fine young man.

My father raised me in the same fashion, when I was old enough to know better he never said not to do it but what my consequences would be if I effed up and the first couple of times I learned the hard way and he never bailed me out and from then on I always thought about my actions before acting.

Personal responsibility is just that, it can't be taught its a life long learning experience that most in this generation refuse to except.

My son is 19, yet already has a wife and baby - he jumped on the fast track for learning about "consequences". Still, he owned his responsibilities, and is thinking ahead and scrambling to make life work, and doing a fine job of it - better than I did at that age.

He's picked a field, working his ass off to get there, and working his ass off to work his ass off to get there - doing it all with NO student loans, and making real progress, digging in at each handhold and getting gathered up for the next reach, and not reaching farther than his current grasp... maybe most importantly, learning from MY mistakes.

Crap, at 19 I was living it up and wasting more money on wine, women, and song than I can even make now (adjusted for inflation) - but at 19 I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it to 20, so I was living as you go.

Not entirely different from most kids today, just faster, louder, pretty intense and with no eye on a future I was pretty sure wasn't going to be there...

... but now here I am. I have no idea how that happened, no notion how I survived it.

So yeah, I think my boy is doing pretty good - a damned sight better than I did, all things considered. I'm sure there are others out there doing the same. I have to think that, in order to have any hope for humanity at all.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I'm glad your son is doing great. Good for him.

However, the numbers of our economy do not support this as a statistical average it is the exception.

Half of our country supports the other half and 69% of the jobs in this country are service sector.

So what are 50-60-70 million people going to do?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Once again, I point out. This debate has many personal views.

No strawman argument as far as I am concerned. By the time a person is eligible to receive a educational loan, then they should be able to make up their mind on what education they want. There really is not a lot of call for a archaeologist or anthropologist. Many accountants have degrees as well, but yet are paid squat. (BTW, if I were a CEO, I'd pay my accountants quite well.)

Blaming others, and refusing to see things how they really are is the actual strawman argument as far as I am concerned.

Personal responsibility is a mind opener.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

So what are 50-60-70 million people going to do?

I say this in jest...kind of.

Go to war, thin the herd a bit.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Don't talk about not being able to see things as they are there are many reasons why the economy is in the du ps and you haven't mentioned any of these variables...

Taxes on small business, licensing, global integration, politics, competition from multi nationals,

Construction is dead everywhere because most people I. The U.S. can't afford to fix their house anymore. Everyone stopped buying in 08 AND Banks stopped lending. On top the federal government started sanctioning loans so no one can get Loans anymore to start businesses.

I'm missing 20 things that are not being factord on top of what's already been covered.

But go in ignoring these facts in this thread while simultaneously acknowledging them in others.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan
Azaden every post you've made in this thread has been completely relevant.

So far the only response I've read is, "entitled, brat, personal responsibility"

Nothing substantial, not one person willing to look at the bigger picture and not one person who wants to see things improve overall for everyone.

Personal responsibility is the whole key. Things will NEVER improve overall for "everyone" without it. You have to get where YOU want to be before you can improve things for anyone else. It's a matter of what resources are at your disposal to make improvements with - if you have none, you can do none. The ripples spread out from there.

I had to learn that the hard way, trying to "improve" the world for everyone else, and damn near dying in the process, before realizing that if I didn't take care of me first, there would be no "me" to take care of anyone else at all, and the whole thing would collapse.

It all starts with YOU.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Now that your old and retired what have you done to I prove the world?

Hate to break it to ya but there are no resources for the average American.

Education is that resource and guess what, it's not helping.

The new globally integrated economy is destroying the western world as we fail to adapt to its changes.
edit on 9/22/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Don't talk about not being able to see things as they are there are many reasons why the economy is in the du ps and you haven't mentioned any of these variables...

Taxes on small business, licensing, global integration, politics, competition from multi nationals,

Construction is dead everywhere because most people I. The U.S. can't afford to fix their house anymore. Everyone stopped buying in 08 AND Banks stopped lending. On top the federal government started sanctioning loans so no one can get Loans anymore to start businesses.

I'm missing 20 things that are not being factord on top of what's already been covered.

But go in ignoring these facts in this thread while simultaneously acknowledging them in others.

So what are you ranting about?

That life isn't fair?

Never has been and never will be. There will ALWAYS be the haves and have nots. This is life.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Speak the truth! I love it!

High school drop out,formerly homeless and no degree and yet still retired at 48.

I'm sick of many blaming others for their own mistakes.

I dunno if I've ever actually been "homeless" But I lived in a car for a good long while on the way ("mobile home"? HARHARHAR!). have slept in the snow in January behind the occasional dumpster, (protip: those dumpsters sometimes have cardboard in them - it helps when you're sleeping in a snowdrift!), and have flopped in flophouses - those were comparatively luxurious, when compared to a snowdrift behind a dumpster, or a hole in the mud with stuff exploding around you.

Now I can "retire" at will - I know I can, 'cause I've done it 4 or 5 times now!

ETA: I actually graduated from high school - I dunno why... to this day, no one, but NO ONE, has ever asked to see that diploma.

edit on 2014/9/22 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

No this is called problem solving.
things won't solve themselves these issues need to be discussed and resolved.

Ignoring the. Or touting "responsibility" to no end are not helping us solve any of the economic issues plaguing Americans and the rest of the western world.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join