It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Ameilia

They did the work believing the lies by getting degrees.

No. Right there you sum up the ENTIRE PROBLEM with Millenials.

Simply completing college does not guarantee that one walks right into the job of their dreams and a dream house with a family vacation to somewhere exotic every year. Yet this is what they think. This despite:

-the fact they get degrees without considering the marketability of their skill/knowledge, instead choosing something 'they want to do'

-that they have no or little job experience

-that they have no or little work ethic

And then wonder why they are swamped in debt and don't have a nice house. They expect the same household that their parents have somehow neglecting to notice their parents worked for 20, 30, 40 years before getting that house, with those items in it.

You don't simply graduate, then get handed your perfect job and living situation. Work for it.

I blame the parents. They made the mistake of telling their kids they can be whatever they want to be if they just work hard and get a good education. It's much more of a dice roll than anything else, with the cards stacked against them.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Will that same smug atitude that your portraying in your post be the one that you take when your looking to us for help after everyone is done losing their pensions and hyperinflation sets in in your old age?

I'm at a loss to understand how any of those will affect me, or consequently why I should give a rat's ass about them.

Or with the doctors and nurses keeping you alive in your old age?

They'd better just keep their furry mitts off of me. Don't want 'em, don't need 'em - and I'm already IN my old age. There's not a pill-roller on the planet "keeping me alive", nor would I want them to.

Or the truck drivers delivering your food?

Truck drivers are not among those types detailed by that "Millennial list". They work for a living, and they HAVE to keep to a work schedule. How 'bout when the manager at your grocery store gets an e-mail saying "eh, the food delivery will be there when it gets there. Maybe by the end of October, but probably definitely by the end of next April".

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

No adversity? Student loans that are far more expensive than what previous generations had to deal with,

Boo hoo. I'm cryin' a river over here. Just breaks my little heart. You think you're the first to deal with debt? We had to learn about it, too. When I'd learned enough, I cut up all my credit cards and burned 'em, all the bitty pieces, with gas. problem solved. See, if you don't go into debt, you don't have to whine and cry about it.

So yeah, that's what I'm talking about when i say "learning to deal with adversity". When you get through learning about it, you'll have a different outlook - a grown up one.

the reality that most of us will never own homes,

Why not? Ain't nothing holding you back but you. I don't own the house I'm living in, but I do own one to retreat to whenever I want. Two, in fact. I've got one for me, and one for a friend in need if I happen across one. I got 'em both without going into debt for them, so it's all good... like I said, ain't nothing holding you back but you.

If a millennial "will never own a home", all he needs do is look no further than that list of 50 "Millennial pluses" to find out why. He's holding himself down, it's not "the man" that he so fears who's doing it.

working at the peak of wage stagnation,

Nope. that would be "joining the grownups", who are also working at the same times.

no incentive to save money,

Me either. never had had any such incentive. What good is it if you're not spending it on something useful? Can't eat it, and once you're dead, it just goes to someone else - usually a large chunk going right back to the State that issued it in the first place. Better to spend it and have something to show for it - that's WHY you acquire it to begin with!

never being adults in a time where the country was free?

I've got to give you that one - I'm not under that same handicap. It's hard to learn how something works when you've never had a chance to experience it.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This post sure got the old farts of the sites knickers in a bunch.

Say the word 'millennial' and you have a hoard of 'lazy' 'self-entitled' 'good-for-nothing' 'don't work hard enough' among a plethora of other scathing comments.

I get it you envy the young and try your best to keep them down while simultaneously telling us it's our fault we don't have to capital to own a home.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

Yea I don't like the term millenial I think the better term is entitlementals.
edit on 22-9-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

lol that horse hasn't been beaten into the ground but hey at least you tried.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Swap "Millenial" with "Indigo".

Same song, different words.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

but hey at least you tried.

Something this generation won't do.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone born after 1990 thinks they have psychic powers and thinks they deserve money and land from the government and all people born before 1970 are trustworthy, hardworking beacons of society.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

but hey at least you tried.

Something this generation won't do.

Yeah keep up the old tripe the "this generation doesn't try HERP DERP" is really fresh and accurate.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone born after 1990 thinks they have psychic powers and thinks they deserve money and land from the government and all people born before 1970 are trustworthy, hardworking beacons of society.

Well, you're half right.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I think the older generation better deserves the 'entitlement' label.

Because you all seem to think you deserve your hyper-inflated sense of self importance.

I'll be waiting for you to flip the self important comment on the current gen.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Because you all seem to think you deserve your hyper-inflated sense of self importance.

One day when your old and ripe you will be saying the same things that we are saying.
New generation same gripe.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This post sure got the old farts of the sites knickers in a bunch.

Say the word 'millennial' and you have a hoard of 'lazy' 'self-entitled' 'good-for-nothing' 'don't work hard enough' among a plethora of other scathing comments.

I get it you envy the young and try your best to keep them down while simultaneously telling us it's our fault we don't have to capital to own a home.

Nah.

The "Millennial" title isn't associated with youth, it's been associated in this thread with the list of ne'er do well qualities linked in the OP. Ain't nobody "keeping them down" but themselves.

I didn't raise any millennials, so I don't quite understand how that works. I raised a man, not a millennial, and you can bet your ass that NO ONE is going to keep him down!

He's someone who understands that if he doesn't have the capital to buy a home, it ain't nobody's damn fault but his own, and he'll remedy that - not wait around for someone to hand it to him while whining that it's someone else's fault that he doesn't have it, or expecting to start out in the world as an executive vice president of something.

Right now, the last I heard, the only trouble he's having getting a place is getting one located that both he and his missus is happy with. when he does, he'll have it.

I'd call that a pretty solid start for a 19 year old. Maybe he should give lessons on how it's done...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   

lol

We have what we have because we earned it.

Waiting to see why ME-llinials justify what they desire.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I always thought "indigo" was a plant they made blue dye from. I'm just not up to speed on that whole other "indigo" thing.

Are they blue?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

I always thought "indigo" was a plant they made blue dye from. I'm just not up to speed on that whole other "indigo" thing.

Are they blue?

With a touch of envy green.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Well, if they'd stop holding their breath and just get to it, the blue part could be cured, but I dunno how to scrub out that tinge of green... that might be permanent - kinda like the way mom used to say "your face is gonna freeze that way!"

That might be one of the places I went right with my son - I taught him not to give a crap what someone else has, because it ain't his, nor is it his to worry about. Instead, he learned to decide what HE wants, and then just make his plan and go for it.

Hell, wanting what someone else has, all that "keeping up with the Joneses" business, always seemed to me to be just letting someone else do your thinking for you, letting them decide what you want, and then leading you around by the nose with it. that's a guaranteed way to never get what you want, and never be satisfied - one of the other Joneses will always get something different, and there you are, still running behind and trying to keep up, never figuring out what YOU want.

That's for the birds. No, scratch that - even birds are brighter than that.

edit on 2014/9/22 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu
Boo hoo. I'm cryin' a river over here. Just breaks my little heart. You think you're the first to deal with debt? We had to learn about it, too. When I'd learned enough, I cut up all my credit cards and burned 'em, all the bitty pieces, with gas. problem solved. See, if you don't go into debt, you don't have to whine and cry about it.

Where did I say credit cards? I said student loans. Credit card debt in this country is $679 billion and it's spread pretty evenly among the population. Student loan debt is nearly twice that at 1.3 trillion and 95% of that is owned by a single generation. Our entire generation is entrapped in this debt and we have no way to pay it off, we were also encouraged strongly to take it by previous generations who told each and every one of us to goto college.

Why not? Ain't nothing holding you back but you. I don't own the house I'm living in, but I do own one to retreat to whenever I want. Two, in fact. I've got one for me, and one for a friend in need if I happen across one. I got 'em both without going into debt for them, so it's all good... like I said, ain't nothing holding you back but you.

Because we don't have the jobs. You can't buy a home on a McDonalds wage, and that's all we have for employment opportunities. You especially can't do it if you also have to pay off a loan as large as a home loan in order to get rid of your student loan debt before even thinking about it. The majority of us will be in student debt until the day we die and if we aren't well... we saw what happened in 2008, and we're the ones that ultimately have to pay for that.

Nope. that would be "joining the grownups", who are also working at the same times.

The so called grownups got to take advantage of the interest rates of the 80's and 90's, then they got to take advantage of working under less wage stagnation. The older generation at this point is coincidentally enough also the group that makes the most money, and therefore the group that has been impacted the least by stagnant wages. It's those on the bottom that have been impacted the most.

Me either. never had had any such incentive. What good is it if you're not spending it on something useful? Can't eat it, and once you're dead, it just goes to someone else - usually a large chunk going right back to the State that issued it in the first place. Better to spend it and have something to show for it - that's WHY you acquire it to begin with!

No incentive to save money yet you bought two houses and somehow didn't have home loans for them. I don't believe you.

We have what we have because we earned it.

Waiting to see why ME-llinials justify what they desire.

We want the opportunity to earn it. We don't have an economic environment conducive to saving, we're burdened by massive debt which we had to take in order to gain job skills, and we have no jobs to use those skills. What was said earlier? 68% of jobs are low skill service sector jobs? Those jobs also happen to be what the majority of my generation are doing for work. Do you know what we desire? We desire jobs that will pay enough for us to pay off our student loans, and maybe buy a house and raise a family on. Instead we've got dead end, low skill, low paying jobs.

Still waiting on that answer to "kill the beast" and bring back actual jobs rather than a service sector economy.
edit on 22-9-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

It sounds like you raised a fine young man.

My father raised me in the same fashion, when I was old enough to know better he never said not to do it but what my consequences would be if I effed up and the first couple of times I learned the hard way and he never bailed me out and from then on I always thought about my actions before acting.

Personal responsibility is just that, it can't be taught its a life long learning experience that most in this generation refuse to except.
edit on 22-9-2014 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join