It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

If we are to change it, we need to stop feeding the beast

agreed

Adapt by NOT following the trend and do something else.

that is easier said than done we need large amounts of the population to work together collectively (John Lennon's ..Imagine comes to mind)

The US may be at 68% for the service industry, but is that the same for every other country?

no it is not the same for every country...it is relevant to the nature of the country ...Afganistan for eg has 15% in the service industry and 78% in agriculture...here in australia we have 75% in the service industry (2009 estimate) so now it would be higher in 2014...it appears the richer the country the more service industry there is

www.cia.gov...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
If we are to change it, we need to stop feeding the beast. Adapt by NOT following the trend and do something else. The US may be at 68% for the service industry, but is that the same for every other country?

How do you propose we stop feeding the beast? We can either do it from the business side or from the revenue side. If we want to stop the spending on frivolous crap then we need an economic policy that makes it smart to save. I mentioned this earlier but my generation has never known interest rates that are conducive to saving, our entire working lives have been in an environment where interest rates were pushed as low as possible in order to fuel the economy. In the end if you encourage people to spend, spend, spend, they're going to spend that money on crap.

The other side is we can approach it from the standpoint of the business owner. Service sector wages are minimum wage positions and are fairly high ROI. This means going into that type of business is low risk. Manufacturing has an enormous barrier to entry and in our current climate can only work if you outsource labor to where it's cheap.

The two positions aren't really all that unrelated either. If people have a reason to save their money, they buy less crap which leads to businesses competing over providing real value which leads to more skilled labor positions.

When it comes to the service industry I don't think the US is the highest but we're very high. Many developed European nations have less, while Australia (and I would guess Canada) have more.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
These kids think they're so different to every other 'generation', which it turns out they are clueless about being the same as.

Get over your entitled selves. All I read in those lines were, "were very lazy".

Nobody's saying it's not time for change, but you won't change nearly as much as was changed about two generations before you!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

"How" to stop feeding the beast?

Dunno. Will have to give this more thought.

Regards

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

You can't! You won't! Your to lazy!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I hate to say this, but it is the truth. Some of us will have it good in life, while others will have a hard time of it. Whether it be of being in the right country, family or being at the right place at the right time.

Am I guilty of the above three?...probably. But I don't feel that guilty about it. I struggled to get where I am at and no, I don't feel proud either.

For every 100 sob stories out there, there is one that is a success. Those are the stories that I grasp and cling too.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well its nice that people have goals and such I suppose. I personally have none, or the concept is so foreign to me it even makes me ashamed to think about. In general however the way there going about it is wrong, you got to understand the each generation is basically a click in its own, when there looking for people even to hire for jobs there not looking for anything other then people that life in there constructed mentality and hence there reality.

Its how jobs operate, its how everything operates really, in fact most people who get jobs do so because they know somebody else or somebody knew somebody, in some jobs I had its literally there either cousins or some long distant relative, and in one you had hundred of people going on thousands working there, and they were all if not somehow related, at the least knew somebody there in one form or another.

In a lot of jobs its basically that, even most jobs that would take lot of school and training are pretty much generational thing. Were you would have the most diversity is the newer tech market, and even then up to a point and only because there new markets. In all you are never and not going to find anybody to agree fully with the newer generation, in all generations it has always been so purely because people life in pseudo realities and each and every generation it takes a long time to coalesce into a coherent system for them. Its basically why you will never fully see eye to eye with anybody.

Its a age old problem, I have thought about how it will all come to a head. In most cases the old adage is true, to make way for the new, you must clear the old, not because it does not work, anything can work if a group of people believes it can work and will work at making it work. But because it is to contradictory with the new mainframe, and it does not fit. That to some point has been done in every generation, the more different a generation the more so that would be in play, the past generation have all been pretty much the same mentally, which is why you dont see a lot more harsh outcomes and measures out there when discrepancies occur. Now a days I dont think anybody is truly to different.

As the old facades slip and become useful only to the older concepts and ways of thought, so its not so bad. It was centuries ago were the younger generation would take power and had to get rid of the older guard, Rome, Greece and all that comes to mind, or sometimes it was backwards and the older mainframes would get rid of the younger generation, it was one thing which the whole tyrants thing rotated on, you know say hello to the new boss same as the old boss, and its also a big reason why people like Socrates drank the poison cup, cant afford to dishevel the youth and disassemble from the status que, if they all start thinking to differently from the old ways then well it will lead to dishevel, it lead there anyways, but you know.

It was never about anything other then the fact that there believe and structure system was mostly created to work for the generation that invented it, even under the best of intentions that is all that can really exist. And that's the problem really, each and every generation must create there own mental constructs to sustain such systems, and since there created by them, its only likely to work for them, and there groups or the people who have the same mental processes in there head. And come next generation it will be the same.

So you could see now why a lot of things which were purposed in the past have no basis in reality, or this shared reality people create, its one of the reasons why schooling will not likely guarantee success, because people do not operate out of knowledge they operate out of a sort of hive mindedness in all areas or walks of life. Its the interpretation between what some people call hard work, and others not something they would want to participate or put energy into perpetrating it farther, and really one of the worst things you can do is help perpetrate a system that does not work for you.

Its the far stretches of limbo, and everybody has an opinion on it, and sometimes though rarely they even a point a view. So basically its not about building jobs, its building coalesce groups which can operate within the same mental outlook of the world and have the same sort of mental structure, and even the same sort of believes, and etc and all with without causing to much friction, as that would break down the whole thing. So now you see why people argue, or why they so desperately say so and so is in the right, or its the only way to do things.

Why do you think America came so far during the world wars, or why do you think it came so far in the few generations during the beginning of the computer age, its not so much because of hard work, or even schooling, all those things were arbitrary and in some cases not much of a factor because the people who really got things moving were the ones who were obsess with there own thing, and it just happen to work with society at large, so while bill gates is so popular today, he really would be nothing without his buddy's who from the age of 10 liked to spend quality time in there garage in there parents home tinkering with gadgets. Bill Gates real talent laid in sales marketing and the fact that he had enoph money from his family to get it all off the ground. It's more or less of the guided world view they had, and the fact that it coalesced with a lot of people.

But if you were to take that away the whole coalesce thing, trust me even the US it would all fall fast, its why when everybody things its all going someplace that they can endure and go through anything, but when you remove that from the equation? Well its a different animal, and its generally termed a civilizations crumbling. Civilizations and anything that involves people generally is like a story everybody wants to hear, its what keeps them together and the whole thing moving. And the only thing distinguishing America in its rise from other nations in those days was that there story was better then the others. And whats even more if you can control the plot of the overall story, you can even control a whole nation. But that is a different topic.

And well you add any other relevant fact you can think of to that. And you will get a clearer picture of what is going on and why people so like to argue about such things. To questions somebody established believes and the way they view the world and there place in it or even how they came to there place in it, is a high and heinous crime. It is also about as futile as arguing with a christian or Muslim that God or Allah does not exist so he should stop living that way of life. It would have the same effect no matter the subject if it involves a concrete believe they have in there head about the world at large well your not going to see eye to eye, not because it matter whether there is a god, or in this case if something in society works or not or that this generation or that generation had it easy or are lazy, its a case that each generation is a mental construct which must rely on those precepts to keep there world, and there believe of there world going, simply because they fit in it. And well, have you known anybody to not support there team, especially if themself and there team is doing well? The answer is NO you haven't.

edit on 11pmSundaypm212014f0pmSun, 21 Sep 2014 23:24:27 -0500 by galadofwarthethird because: Not even going to bother with spelling or sentence structure. Well maybe a little.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Source

Well.. I figure why not!

We refuse to adhere to work schedules that don’t work. We refuse to allow the corporate culture to suffocate our creativity. We no longer see adulthood as the end of our childhood, but the beginning of something even more liberating.

We’re not going to hand our souls over to men in suits or women in pencil skirts. We’re not going to work for companies we don’t respect. We’re not going to wake up every morning dreading the 9-to-5. But we’re not going to sit back and sulk either.

Well. For me, I agree, but let's continue....

1. We play by our own rules.

2. We don’t take the first answer given to us.

3. We don’t care about getting into trouble.

4. We’re willing to work for nothing if it means being happy… Despite being in debt.

Well. I'm not sure if this is good, but I like it. I think a lot of these qualities are things that are going to be needed moving forward because change is coming.

The old ways of doing things are what brought us to where we are so maybe a little attitude change is in order.

Let the attacks begin.

edit on Sun Sep 21 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

edit on Sun Sep 21 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped long list IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

I like the fire in your belly young man, unfortunately I feel it`s too late for you. Everything you've mentioned, all the bad that`s been brought to bare on us, is all coming to a head and i feel we don`t even know the half of it.
It really sucks but i think there`s nothing that can stop it now.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
www.brainyquote.com...
This sums it up.

Each generation imagines itself more intelligent then the generation that came before it and wiser then the one after

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yes, work sucks. We work for greedy inefficient people doing meaningless jobs. However, it's going to take a lot of work to change the status quo.

I'm a technological utopianist. I've butted heads with many superiors discussing the way the world should be. They tend to lean more towards greed, opulence, and work avoidance. I was once told by a boss, "I don't like you, but you make me more money than I've ever made." But other times, my point of view caused me to lose my job despite me being a hard worker and an innovator.

I'm now working for a Fortune 500 company on a meteoric rise. We are underpaid and overworked for the sake of the investors. I'm doing a job that will, for the most part, be needed in a utopia. I've been asked to manage a store, like I used to, a few times. I've had to turn it down because I don't have the mandatory 48 hours nor the required 66 hours to get the job done. Not only are we understaffed by design, we can't get people to fill those positions. When we do get people, they slack hard and really mess things up causing me to have to work harder fixing what amounts to sabotage. Yes, the kids do this, but so do the older and much older. It's as if everyone knows work sucks and are rebelling against it.

We hire young managers with hip attitudes and styles who neglect their stores with a smile. These youth don't appear interested in changing the system. They seem interested in screens. Sure, screens are fun (I'm looking at one now), but these kids seem to be addicted.

Kids, we are not going to change the world through screens. They are a tool which will make tasks like monitoring (that's why they're called monitors) easier, but it will take actual work to make work not suck.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I am 33. I've worked since it was legal to do so. Hard. I've worked both white and blue collar jobs, and more recently, light blue! I graduated from a tech school in '07, experienced the mini-crash, powered through and was accepted into one of the most exclusive programs available to graduates of my initial education by one of the most respected brands of my former craft. Here's how that worked out for me. My wife and I moved from the west coast to now live with my parents in Texas, have two cars 10 and 14 years old, and debt we'll probably never be able to pay off and, yet, we're never going to give up.

So how come I don't debt-own a house, car or boat? Should I feel entitled to these items? Is their absence a sign of laziness? Is my growing disillusionment with working for someone else a sign of dysfunction?

Growth and adaptation is how I chose to view the purpose of my life's course. If it weren't for the aforementioned conditions I wouldn't be so close to family, I would still be in a career that wears on both joints and joy and I would still be self-medicating with TV and alcohol or taking an SSRI for symptoms of unhappiness. My history is pretty common for people these days and with the statistics of college graduates unable to pay their loans or find a job I don't think the responses to recent generation's comments are intellectually honest.

Yes there are many lazy people, yes there are too many izombies and TV junkies and they need to get with the program just as much as the older generation needs to see the spirit of rebellion against the old ways for the divinity that it is. The world is changing, that's all there is to it. It is demanding change from us also, imo. Those holding onto materialism, boring unfulfilling jobs, food grown at a distance, usury-based economies, over centralized unwieldy government, ignorance, laziness, non intrinsic spirituality, technophilia, splintered community, war, division, politics, etc. are going to have some cognitive dissonance to fight through very soon. Again, in my opinion. But just check the weather...do all of these characteristics of the new generation paint a negative picture?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Dont forget: Lack of work ethic and a sense of entitlement!

Trust me, corporate america is not "snipping" their pants over this group. More like frustrated cause most of them have a hard time staying at any job for any length of time.

Without didley for work experience and in many cases no training or appropriate education their expectations are rather high.

"Give it to me, I don't want to work for it". Or perhaps "I won't sell my soul for $10/hr" (from an 18 year old fresh out of high school for a desk job). Seems that working your way up is "the devil" for many. That's cool. After building a resume of 3 pages in 3 years spending mere months at each job, good luck finding someone to hire you.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

a reply to: AlphaHawk

We have the most educated generation on the planet.

Yes the author made some ridiculous points.

No you don't.

You are the most SPECIALIZED generation on the planet.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I like how folks discovered the word entitled in 2008 and have used it incessantly since then like a brand new toy.

Ehh - in 30 years they'll be complaining about their grand kids after those complaining about them now are in the dirt and long forgotten.

The cycle of life continues.

I do think after a few more generations die off we're going to start seeing some big changes though - that will be exiting.
edit on 22-9-2014 by Floydshayvious because: boop

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Interesting that laziness and an entitlement mentality are being extracted from or added to a list that contains the following:

"We are trying to beat the system, not just work with it
We’d rather start work at 10 and finish at 10
We’re not about climbing the ladder, we’re about circumventing it
We’re always trying to change the game"

and for the win...

"We’re willing to work for nothing if it means being happy… Despite being in debt"

It's entirely possible that today's generation has as many derelicts as any generation before it and it only appears like more because some people refusing jobs that more directly benefit someone else's dynasty are being unjustly mislabeled.

The missing piece here is that bucking the system and staying out of a human CAFO (cubicle) might not entail starting your own business or inventing some new app like some "you could be the next Gates or Zuckerberg" might erroneously encourage, but could be as simple and rewarding as working 10+ hours in the heat on your own living structure, water catchment system, food development.

Maybe not

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Or are we forgetting the current pariah that we are experiencing in the new globally integrated world?

What "pariah" are you currently experiencing? I'm not experiencing any, so I couldn't say. I avoid pariahs like the plague...

... which is precisely what MAKES them "pariahs"!

I'm really going to need to know what you're meaning here before I can begin to decipher this post.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

a reply to: MALBOSIA

Ummm.. Have you payed attention to the last ten years?

We are inundated now with more media trauma based kind control and propaganda then ever with social media television and movies and that's just not my generations that's everyone.

No, that's just your generation. The older folks learned how to deal with adversity by growing up with adversity. The Millenials never had to deal with it, and consequently don't know HOW to deal with it, so to them the sky is falling.

It's OK - the Millenials will grow out of it.

If you're being bombarded with unbearable trauma by social media, TV, and movies, maybe simply flipping the switch to "off" will help?

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion>>> Just a few observations about millenials and other generations in general, particularly when it comes to looking for a job and working one.
Put the phone, IPAD, MP3 player away. You look like a 4 year old that needs a toy to distract them. Also, be prepared to realize that nobody cares about what you think or your creativity, only if you can do what they pay you to do... get a job done in a reasonable amount of time without being supervised. You are now an adult( maybe) so don't expect praise to be heaped upon you for what is at best mediocrity. Work on your social skills, no texting or web surfing on breaks. Try to look interested in the job and interacting with your co workers. Nobody likes a dweeb who sits quietly like abump on a log. You'll soon realize that nobody but your parents will give you money or gifts just for being you... you have to trade your time and effort to have them reward you. If you have no skills or no ability, don't expect much in the way of a reward.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides

To all their detractors, shut the eff up!!! You've had your chance and you so completely and utterly turned this world into a steaming pile of irradiated garbage. So shut your goddamned mouths and lets let a new generation try. They can't do any worse.

How 'bout we give 'em the keys AFTER we take off the training wheels?

Of course, we could be just plain mean, remove the training wheels without telling them, and just cut the world loose on 'em...

... yeah, I kinda LIKE that idea!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu
No, that's just your generation. The older folks learned how to deal with adversity by growing up with adversity. The Millenials never had to deal with it, and consequently don't know HOW to deal with it, so to them the sky is falling.

It's OK - the Millenials will grow out of it.

If you're being bombarded with unbearable trauma by social media, TV, and movies, maybe simply flipping the switch to "off" will help?

No adversity? Student loans that are far more expensive than what previous generations had to deal with, the reality that most of us will never own homes, working at the peak of wage stagnation, no incentive to save money, never being adults in a time where the country was free?

We've gotten plenty of adversity.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join