It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Umm I rarely attack people I tend to discuss topics review my thread history of 500+ threads and you'll the see percentages heavily in my favor.

But let's keep talking about one question.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Labor has gotten extremely cheap because of globalization.

I would ask you to talk to a couple of people who work the gas/oil fields. Their labor makes them a pretty penny, though it is labor intensive. I know people who work warehouses driving forklifts and doing manual labor making $27.00 a hour. But I guess to many people think those jobs are menial, and beneath them and never apply.

We can't all be Kardashians. (Oh my Gawd! Did I just type that? I'm doomed I tell ya!)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

There's no warehouse jobs paying 27$ an hour what world are you living in?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Oh yes there are. Pitt-Ohio was paying long term, full time dock workers to drive forks at $27 a hour a year and a half ago. And they earned every penny of it. Long hours, crappy and dangerous conditions. It's a very old school yet efficient logistics company.

Those jobs are out there and there are quite a few of them.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

There are.

But you have to go to where the jobs are.

Heck, I know of Walmart jobs going for 20/hour, but you have to go to those locations.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Millions of positions?

Most grads won't make that after ten years let alone driving a forklift.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

What's the rent there

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

And I've been considering moving to the Bakken after I'm done investing in the tools I need to do the job.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Not only that, but I made $16 a hour working part time 6 hours a day pushing pallet jacks. That's a living wage, granted barely. It beats working at Mickey D's and allows time to find a more meaningful job or go to school.

I did it for the beer and gas money myself since I had already retired.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

What's the rent there

It's high, more than likely. But if you're willing to live humbly, you could do quite well.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

And I've been considering moving to the Bakken after I'm done investing in the tools I need to do the job.

Good start!

There are man-camps that would suit a single person quite well. I recently left that area myself.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Millions of positions?

Most grads won't make that after ten years let alone driving a forklift.

And that's the defeatist attitude that many are railing against here. Some companies actually like loyal employees and reward them. To them, a happy employee = a happy company = profit and profit sharing which makes the employee happy and the circle continues.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Generally speaking most warehouse jobs and staffed with sagging agencies these days.

What your talking about sounds like a great deal though.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
We need to look realistically at the condition of our economy and figure out what it needs and how to fix it.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

originally posted by: Aazadan
Labor has gotten extremely cheap because of globalization.

I would ask you to talk to a couple of people who work the gas/oil fields. Their labor makes them a pretty penny, though it is labor intensive. I know people who work warehouses driving forklifts and doing manual labor making $27.00 a hour. But I guess to many people think those jobs are menial, and beneath them and never apply.

We can't all be Kardashians. (Oh my Gawd! Did I just type that? I'm doomed I tell ya!)

I seriously doubt forklift operators are making $60k/year but even if that's true that's labor in a single state, there's 49 other states and the oil boom itself is tenuous seeing as how the total amount of recoverable oil from fracking keeps being revised down but the side effects keep being revised up. In 10 years these jobs are going to be gone. It's not a sustainable career or a sustainable business model.

That aside, calling $27/hour good is ridiculous and it's a product of just how bad wage stagnation has gotten. $27/hour is the purchasing power MINIMUM WAGE had in 1955 and 1967 before things started stagnating.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In IATSE we are paying 22.50 to grips and gaffer just starting out and can't fill all the positions.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I would say 27$ an hour for a forklift position is amazing.

Most people in my industry make far less. Think 17-20 where I'm at unless you know someone in the union.

And I'm a tradesmen.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'll be offering 30+/hr for positions opening up in my department.

60K is not a bad wage, I would think.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
And that's the defeatist attitude that many are railing against here. Some companies actually like loyal employees and reward them. To them, a happy employee = a happy company = profit and profit sharing which makes the employee happy and the circle continues.

I've seen someone in my family literally go from the lowest entry level position to CEO of good sized company. That doesn't happen anymore though. For that one story, which applies to the baby boomer generation I can give you 100 stories where a person has been kept at 1 hour below benefits, or seen their job reclassified as a tip position to reduce wages, or let go a week before being eligible for a pension, or had their compensation for a contract retroactively reduced on the idea that it would cost the person more money to fight it in court than they were hoping to recover.

Good companies treat employees well but they're few and far between. Every warehouse job I've ever known somebody to take involved minimum wage and often times shady practices. A buddy of mine has a warehouse job right now, he's been working it for two years, 4 am-noon every day. It paid minimum wage when it started and it still pays him minimum wage now... he doesn't even get sick days.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Temp agencies have pretty much gone by the wayside here in Cleveland. There are only a couple left and even they are struggling.

Most companies want a good bargain concerning a employee. Just like people do when shopping. But many employees these days look at any employment as just a job, nothing more. A smart company will embrace a good employee like a family member if they are productive and it would behoove the employee to return the favor.

I was hired by Pitt three weeks before Christmas. The week before Christmas, I received a $100.00 dollar gift card. Buying my loyalty? Maybe. But I never expected it and was extremely grateful.

Does that company have it's problems? Sure, mainly in the HR dept. I think they all do.

Companies and prospective employees both need to look at themselves seriously. Then and only then can we, together start to fix it. (Yea, cities and tax codes play a role as well)

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join