It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 Things About Millennials That Make Corporate America [snip] Its Pants

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

I think every responsible parent does that.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Well we'd like to think so. Yet here we are, complaining about the generation after us not even realizing that most we'rent raised that way. We just assume that millennials were given that same treatment only to squander it. Thats most likely not the case. Its more likely that their parents forgot somewhere along the line that they are the future and got stuck in the day to day like so many others now and so many before them.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
Face it. You old folks #ed up. You #ed up nice and good, allowed the government to run unchecked, and #ed all the generations to come after you.

If the young cannot change the system now, if it is too late because of your past failures - well then we will burn it all the # down.

Just like the idealistic, rebellious youth of EVERY generation before them,
nothing but hot air.

Well, 20-30 years and we'll see who are the ones wearing the suits and ties...
edit on 21-9-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: Aazadan

good post, but thinking about hardships, think WW1 and WW2 and the great depression, that is overcoming hardships,

The Great Depression was about as bad in economic terms as our country has been in since 2008, and even before 2008 things weren't too hot we just had a high stock market so the discussions never happened. Sure we're not hoarding food packets right now but half the country is on food stamps which is the same thing in terms of effect. The Great Depression was a time of high wealth inequality with few jobs for those on the bottom, even in that time there were wealthy individuals making a killing. It's not much different these days, if we didn't have food stamps the streets would look the same.

WW2 was harder, particularly for the troops but for 13 years now we've had an ongoing war against a political tool that has been left undefined which has been used to justify anything and everything.

My generation never got to experience being an adult in a country that was actually free. Instead we've had constant surveillance, zero motivation to save money, and a major lack of jobs. Do you think that as a generation we like the fact that with a roommate in a city we would have to pay 80% of our wage for rent in a very small run down apartment?

The simple reality is that not everyone has to work in order to provide for all of societys needs and wants. Because we're stuck on the side that can't work we've seen this clearly. That just further reduces our incentives to actually participate. Do you remember all the movies and tv shows from the 50's and 60's that depicted life today? They showed a life of leisure where robots did all the work for us. We could have that today, the technology is here there's only one problem. How do we pay for food, taxes, and the rest when machines are doing it all? That was never answered and is something my generation faces.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

I'd like to think that this is a never-ending cycle.

30,000 years ago parents were probably saying, "Fire? Back in my day we ate meat raw, and that was good enough for us! Kids today, they have it sooooo easy!"

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Lol what a ridiculous thread, "voice of a generation" haha

When your reproduce, as the bulk of people usually do all except a handful of your best friends and family become people you'd choke the living crap out of to get ahead over and provide better for your own, it's just nature.

There is an old saying "if your not a liberal when your young you have no heart, if your not a conservative when your older you have no brain" I wouldn't agree with it 100% but in reality as you age the people you support grow in number via work and love and you will defend them/ do and support what you have to to give them better lives.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD

originally posted by: lightedhype
Face it. You old folks #ed up. You #ed up nice and good, allowed the government to run unchecked, and #ed all the generations to come after you.

If the young cannot change the system now, if it is too late because of your past failures - well then we will burn it all the # down.

Just like the idealistic, rebellious youth of EVERY generation before them,
nothing but hot air.

Well, 20-30 years and we'll see who are the ones wearing the suits and ties...

Here's the difference. The youth of the 60's eventually had to temper their goals with the fact that they needed to work. They had an easy time of it too for the most part, low inflation the booms of the 80's and 90's, and the lack of a drug war let them be "free thinking" individuals. They had a counter culture movement and some eventually grew out of it. My generation isn't like that, you want to see who will be wearing the suits and ties? We would LOVE to be wearing the suits and ties. We want to start a job in a mail room and be able to work up to CEO. We want actual careers. What we've learned is that these things are gone, the jobs we wanted to do were all shipped overseas and replaced with dead end service sector positions.

It's real hard to not feel screwed over after growing up and being told to goto college, then goto college, then be the biggest victims of an older generations financial collapse, and then learn that all those jobs you went to college to learn to do? Are no longer in the country. It's like ordering a 20 oz steak in a 5 star restaurant then being given a s*** sandwich on stale bread and being told to be glad we got anything at all.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
The list reminds me of the 60's except the new technologies.
Yeah you hit the nail on the head. Where do you think millennials came from? Children of the 50s/60s.

So this "progressive" attitude is what got us to where we are today. That may seem counterintuitive as people love to blame conservatism for that. However, those in power used the progressive agenda to undermine the Constitution and that is how we got to where we are.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: onequestion

I think where the millennial's are really scaring the the corps, is the millennial's see through the R and D game of politics.

I don't believe they see past a 3"x5" in screen. FWIW LOL

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Me being a "millenial", I can understand what the OP is saying, however, not all millenials are like that. OP brings up some good points though, my generation is more evolved and we see the BS that goes on every damn day. We see the ridiculously high costs of college, low paying jobs after graduating college, political bs, unnecessary wars, etc.

To the old biddy that has a problem with millenials, then you need to understand that we are not going to just "settle", we want to see "change", an improvement. All those old timers in government and what not who are stuck in their old fashion ways are hurting everyone. Unfortunately, they don't understand us, how could they if they're living the life, got their SSI and whatever. But what about us? I doubt SSI will be around for us. There's nothing benefiting us, nothing but college debt that we have to deal with every freakin day.

Previous generations have no idea how much we struggle. The world is not black and white anymore, but grey. We see the grey matter, but they just see black and white.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: FeistyFemme

my generation is more evolved

Really? Can you shoot fire from your fingertips?

How are you more evolved?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Do you see your struggle as greater than the struggles of past generations?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Don't answer it its a trick question.

beezer thinks we live in the same world as they did in the 70's.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Lol, I was waiting for him to "drop the mic" and walk off stage. Know it alls are so cute when they pretend they are so wise beyond their years.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FeistyFemme
my generation is more evolved and .

I think the vaunted indigo children have come home to roost.

All my spoons have just bent.....

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Don't answer it its a trick question.

beezer thinks we live in the same world as they did in the 70's.

Appreciate you telling me what I'm supposed to think.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I'm not telling you what to think. You are not hear to problem solve your here to win a debate.

You consistently say in threads that the economy in America is largely service based and that the problem isn't wages but the fact that high paying jobs have left the country.

Your just hear to debate your not interested in anything but winnjng and being right.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

HA Beat me to it.....curse you smartphone..... if I were only younger and more intelligent I could have posted it faster. It's people like you Beezer, holding me down.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Appreciate you telling me what I'm supposed to think.

To be fair, minimum wage when you were growing up had the purchasing power of $19/hour today. My generation isn't making the big bucks, we have a real inflation rate of 10% per year, food inflation is 22% this year. The wages we're trying to make it on are about 40% of what you had to make it on. We've never been able to work and put our money into bank accounts and get more than 3% interest, right now we don't even get 1%... you got 18%.

There's wisdom in listening to people that have already done things but it's also important to recognize that the world is different now. Those starting out on the bottom are starting from a significantly worse position.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What's your great solution to this problem? Frankly, you haven't inspired me.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join