It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eureka! I just discovered by accident how to get rid of fruit flies!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If you want some entertainment while getting rid of the fruit flies, you can pour some red wine into a shallow dish and set it in the kitchen. The flies come and get a drink, get drunk and fall into the wine and drown.

It's really no different than the apple cider vinegar method, except there's no need for Saran Wrap since the flies just fall right in

I often pour myself a glass as well and watch my little winged problems disappear!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Those pesky fruit flies really irritate the old lady, but it's usually my fault for feeding fruit to the gecko and not cleaning it up in a day or two. Those little drunken pirates love stale beer too, not that we have any empty beer bottles around. If you like insect eating plants like sundews, fungus gnats and fruit flies are good food for them.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
We're having the same problem. I've never seen this many before. They came in the bananas. They're like illegals; They hide in the peel 'til they get to 'the location'. Then, low and behold!! everywhere. I bought some of those sticky fly strings. They work. I will be trying this onion deal.

Thanks for the info
S&F

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
To the ATS members who've stated they use juice or cider vinegar 'traps" .
Be advised! I'm reporting you to the SPCFF.
(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Fruit Flies)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I will be keeping some of these ideas in mind, but realized that compared to last year when we moved in the house, there are far less houseflies even. And no fruit flies. We have fruit out too, doesn't really make sense

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

hehehe

Sweetie, fruit flies are fungus gnats. Anywhere you might have a fungus they like, they'll move in. Your kitchen drain, maybe?

Sweet vinegar (red, or acv) with a drop of dishsoap and those guys are going to commit suicide. They love the vinegar but the soap kills them.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

ha, make sure it's a red onion. Not exactly the most scientific study I've done but the kitchen is still quiet this morning. Apartment still stinks though...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

The easy fast way is wine in a glass or jar and a drop of soapl so they sink in the wine, vinegar works but wine has them gone instantly.

edit on 21-9-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye

hehehe

Sweetie, fruit flies are fungus gnats. Anywhere you might have a fungus they like, they'll move in. Your kitchen drain, maybe?

no, they're two different things.

www.mass.gov...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hushabye

hehehe

Sweet vinegar (red, or acv) with a drop of dishsoap and those guys are going to commit suicide. They love the vinegar but the soap kills them.

Honey... Did you even read my post past the first paragraph? I mentioned my lil old kitchen drain right there in the second one.

If you don't kill the ones in the drain, you'll be using the vinegar forever. I gave a way to kill those in the drain before they hatch out but I do thank you for trying to help.

I'm also pretty sure that fruit flies are fruit flies and gnats are gnats. They are equally irritating... But different species.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I get these in peoples apartments every now and then..

They hide up in the inner wall of the drain and sink basin..

if your sink has a vent hole then pour bleach down it also..

here's a link to help..

www.aplussewerandwater.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Boy you people are sensitive.

Yes, I am aware that they're actually two different things, but also aware that most people use the same name for all of them. I just worded it poorly because I'm sick and on drugs.

I don't see why people get so worked up. Have a good day!

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Fruit flies only happen in my house in the fall when they move in from the garden, when temperature outside have dropped down. i get these annoying little things for a week, house is just a few years old. So my bet is the garden and cold weather outside.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka

Fruit flies only happen in my house in the fall when they move in from the garden, when temperature outside have dropped down. i get these annoying little things for a week, house is just a few years old. So my bet is the garden and cold weather outside.

That could very well be helping the case here. The temperature has plummeted to fall temperatures here in the last week and the leaves are already falling. In the end we can always wait them out. Once they stop breeding they die off pretty fast.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Wow!....gotta try this...no matter how much i spray insect repellant the little blighters always come back in bigger numbers!

Thanks...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: panicman66

I think I better put an update to this thread for the sake of my own integrity. They're baaaaack and I watched them climbing over my pile of onion slices. I thought I was on to something, I really did. And I wasn't drunk when I made this thread. Sorry folks, I've been outsmarted by a fruit fly.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
3/4 bottle of rose wine with cork out, leave on table.

DO NOT DRINK IT!

Check it after a couple of hours and you'll have loads of dead fruit flies floating on the surface.

I discovered this with a bottle I sadly was intending on drinking, but honestly, it works a treat.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This doesn't have anything to do with flies but I found mosquitoes are attracted to the smell of gasoline.
By the way for fun fly killing pick up one of those yellow electronic flyswatters from Harbor and a lot of the pharmacies they are under $10 and make a crack and a spark when they hit the grid!
Great fun! It will make you want to attract flies just to kill 'em!

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
hi
i had tons of them.drove me nuts. so annoying. the reason??
BEER CANS!! YUP BEER. never leave cans around for long after you drink em.
isnt it great to learn what we are really drinking lol

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I put my bananas in the fridge, then peel just one. I put the peel in an open large zip lock baggie and leave it open on my counter over night. When I get up in the morning I slam shut the bag very quickly and they are all trapped in it. After 2 days or so of this in the morning, they are all gone and I don't have a breeding population. It works very well as I make banana chips regularly and still don't have a problem. Always put fruit peels in something airtight, zip lock bag, old mayo jar, etc. I don't and haven't had a problem in years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join