It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eureka! I just discovered by accident how to get rid of fruit flies!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
So simple yet I would never had known until after I decided what to cook for dinner tonight. Ready? Wait for it... Onions!

I have a fruit fly factory somewhere in my kitchen and I have no idea where the hell it is but I keep getting all these damn fruit flies. Driving me nuts. I'm like king kong knocking the little bastards out of the air and tossing them into the sink each time I go into the kitchen. Anyways, I chopped up some red onions for a salad but left some on the cutting board. Chilled out for about an hour or so now. Went back to the kitchen and they're ALL gone. No where, not even hanging off the light or ceiling. I better check again before I hit submit...nope, just one little tiny one but otherwise all clear. It must be the sulfur or one of the many chemicals leaking into the air. Huh, imagine that? Pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I would almost be willing to chop up a whole bag and leave them out overnight if it didn't smell like a used hooker's armpits when I woke up in the morning. I hate those little bastitches with a white hot passion. I have the same problem as you and have no fruit. NO FRUIT!!

I think they may be what are called drain flies here. Maybe yours are too if you haven't had any fruit? They are just a tiny bit bigger than fruit flies and they breed in your drains. If they come back, try some baking soda in your drains overnight. Just dump some in and close it off with the drain overnight. All the drains. The next morning just run water through like normal. Last year that helped get rid of my non fruit fly problem.

I had no clue there were so many different types of damn gnats/flies. They can drive you insane!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo Ok. Now wait a day or two. Peel a banana or two, maybe an orange, let it sit for five minutes or so and Voila, they're baaack....

edit on 20-9-2014 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I was just reading up on them and I think you're right. They've only be hanging around the sink and I've cleaned the kitchen so they must be in the drain. But I pour boiling water down there every day so I don't know how far down the plumbing those bastards go.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Sounds like your solution is just causing them to go elsewhere or are they dieing?

Anyway, we have a similar fruit fly issue here too, particularly when we start bringing stuff in from the garden.

Our solution is several small jars or cups filled half way with "Apple Cider Vinegar". Place a piece of seran wrap over top and poke several holes in it with a knife.
The little bastards will go in the holes and leave you with a nice soup of fruit fly bodies and vinegar to dump down the drain as often as needed.

ETA:
Forgot to specify that you place the traps in the vicinity of the flies if it wasn't obvious already. One is all that's needed but more is better and faster. You'll start catching them pretty much right away.
edit on 20-9-2014 by ShadowLink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I'll definitely try some controlled tests. Let them have their party then chop a fresh onion and see what happens.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Sounds like your solution is just causing them to go elsewhere or are they dieing?

Could be high tailing it out of there but that's ok, as long as they're not bumping uglies anymore in my kitchen sink.

Our solution is several small jars or cups filled half way with "Apple Cider Vinegar". Place a piece of seran wrap over top and poke several holes in it with a knife.
The little bastards will go in the holes and leave you with a nice soup of fruit fly bodies and vinegar

Yummy. You've got a way with words. lol

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: FlySolo Ok. Now wait a day or two. Peel a banana or two, maybe an orange, let it sit for five minutes or so and Voila, they're baaack....

Now this leads me to conclude one thing. Perpetual motion, free energy.

You see, peel a banana, and they waft over. Sure its subtle, but they create motion. Then they see the onion, and waft away. Being small tiny minded insects, they forget the onion and go "Bannaannaaaass!!" and repeat the entire scenario.

If only I could somehow fix a magnet to them.....

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here in South Australia, we used to have boarder guards protecting the state from fruit fly. They would pull us over at the guard boarder post and ask "Have you got any fruit in your possession that you wish to declare?" And we'ed have to surrender our fruit before crossing the boarder back into SA.

No cavity search though.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

I was just reading up on them and I think you're right. They've only be hanging around the sink and I've cleaned the kitchen so they must be in the drain. But I pour boiling water down there every day so I don't know how far down the plumbing those bastards go.

I do at least two different batches of dishes a day and do the same as you, yet they are still there. I think there must be some places that it doesn't touch. It would only have to be a minuscule amount of space to lay eggs. I know the irritation. Seriously. I have stood over my sink trying to slap them out of the air. I've hung flypaper rolls from the ceiling (which does attract some but not all). It pisses you off because it is in the kitchen around the food. Any they will land on anything you are not watching.

I do promise you that I did the baking soda thing just in my kitchen sink two nights in a row last year and that got rid of them completely. Before that I did everything for fruit flies that I could find and they were still there. It's just a pain in the arse because you shouldn't have to do it. They should just stay the hell outside lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

They are attracted by ripe/decaying fruit and pizza. One Summer in Canada, somebody in my workplace once left out a slice of pizza in a box, and there were thousands of them, even though there was an air conditioning system and all windows were closed.

My dad used to keep lot of little plants in cup sized pots and there would always be a good dozen of the little critters flying around in a funny zig-zag fashion. Hairspray was more effective than bug spray

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I'll try the baking soda thing next if this doesn't work for long. Thanks

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
i thought i had the same fruit fly problem... until i investigated a little more... then i found out that my ones were 'fungus gnats' that live in the soil of house plants, and destroy the roots of said houseplants... if anybody's got any good solutions to evicting the little buggers please let me know

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyteeny

mint maybe? I found this lengthy list of natural smells certain insects hate. Maybe there's something in there for you
srirad0675.hubpages.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The fruit flies are always drinking our coffee here. You have to check your coffee, they are floating in there sometimes. When we have organic fruits they eat them but not most of the commercial fruits. They also like licking the C&H sugar on the counter.

Boy, talk about some fussy fruitflies.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

I'll back you up on this. It works ... quickly and well.

As for the insect problem ... there's probably a bad potato or a bad onion somewhere. You have to look for it. LOL

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

No doubt

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Placing traps is like pissing in your pants to get warm, it will attract the flies as much as killing them.

Cleaning and removing attraction sources is the only thing that works.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Trap.. Use small cup and fill it 1/2 with sweet juice ( apple juice, pear juice ) or pineapple lemonade, which has no carbonic acid left, add just a bit, washing-up liquid so it breaks the surface tension and cover the cup with cling film and punch few less than 1cm holes in it. The fruit flies fly in but can´t fly out.. and flieswill drown.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join