It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Photo of the F-22 shows something weird...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I was able to find a very detailed schematic of the F-22 and it's GUTS,not sure if it accurate or not but here it is:

imagizer.imageshack.us...

According to this drawing it looks like the hatch in question was the APU exhaust (146) with the intake hatch just ahead of it (148).
edit on 21-9-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: boomer135

Hey no biggie, I gotta remember that no one actually knows me here.

Back to the pic whatever it is I hope it's suppose to be that way and not something failing already.

Someone mentioned turbine oil, the only turbines I worked on were small ground equipment variations but they all took 7808 clear as water.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It could be a number of different fluids. As someone pointed out some commercial turbine oils like BP 2197 have a distinctive greenish tinge while others like Mobil MJ2 are more an orange colour. I don't know what hydraulic fluid they are using on the F-22 but Skydrol LD-4 has a light purplish tint to it when fresh but oxidizes and ages to a light honey colour. There are a number of different Skydrols though and its possible that there is a Mil spec one with different colouring. My guess if it's something mundane is either that its turbine oil or hydraulic fluid, either reacting with the RAM coatings or that the coatings on that aircraft have worn a bit and we are seeing the underlying primer showing through with the aforementioned fluids on top.

As for the projection I'm theorizing either APU exhaust or it could be avionics cooling exhaust. That would explain why it was showing on the ground in one of the pics posted. I also not that in one of Boomers pics there appears to be brown exhaust type staining behind it. Its possible that in certain flight regimes or with specific equipment running that it also deploys in flight.

LEE.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman
I was able to find a very detailed schematic of the F-22 and it's GUTS,not sure if it accurate or not but here it is:

According to this drawing it looks like the hatch in question was the APU exhaust (146) with the intake hatch just ahead of it (148).

alright so according to that diagram (probably from china. lol) the doors in question are in fact the apu exhaust and intake hatch. so thats solved. But why is it open in flight? thats the bigger question.

And from that drawing the panel that is open on the top that looks like its spilling out green fluids is the engine bleed air primary heat exchanger. To my limited knowledge of fighter design, isnt that something used on the ground as well? dont they use the bleed air to crank the engines?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Bleed air has a number of uses, the most common is engine start. It's also used for pressurization, which is why a leak allows fumes into the cockpit/cabin. But I don't see them using green coolant for the heat exchanger. Green isn't the best for cooling or for length of life. Red tends to last a lot longer.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Not that I have any expert knowledge in aircraft but could it be some sort of cooling agent that disperses into the aircraft warm exhaust to lower the heat signature a little more ?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Maybe the green stuff is from a leak and this jet needs to be in the shop getting fixed.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian
The F22 cant use Skydrol because the hydraulic seals arent rated for it. It uses standard mil-spec red oil.

I think the F119 engines use the green turbine oil you mentioned but i'm not sure.

You certainly know your aviation fluids

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Looking at where the greenish fluid is, I don't believe there's any way it can be an intentional route for something to be ejected to perform some purpose. It's in a terrible place: between the two engine bulges would have detrimental effects on the dispersion of whatever it is. You would end up with so much of the material within the boundary layer and just falling back onto the aircraft itself that it would just be terribly inefficient. If you really wanted to get a spread, your best bet would be to locate the ejection at the very rear of the aircraft where it can catch properly high-speed flow. I really am inclined to think that the green stuff is either a leak, or not a liquid. Can't say what it is much more than that myself.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

Lol I got a good laugh outa this and decided to go give NOTAM a google.... I ended up at some FAA site that made me click ok on a disclaimer....

Well I tried to go back but on my phone I couldn't click the button the accept window had precedence..... Soo I just clicked accept and then hit back

I proceeded to read a wiki page and a few others regarding what NOTAM means but then a curious thing happened.. I tried to come back to ATS and boom my phone quits working.

Instant closing of the browser.. Over and over again. I then went into my cookies through settings and managed to delete then and everything is ok now butttt what exactly happened? Lol did I trigger some cookie that was trying to keep me from blabbing something i just read on the NOTAM site?

On topic... It definitely looks like copper corrosion. If Regis was asking me for a million dollars I'd have to go with copper being involved somehow.
edit on 21-9-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

NO TAMS is short for notices to airman. All pilots, military and commercial have to view the notams on their flight route. They give information like restricted airspace and anything else that could hamper your flight.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Ya I figured that out and after visiting the FAA NOTAM archive my browser imploded upon coming back to ATS lol. I'm sure it just some nerd tech issue but I will say I puckered up a bit at first lol

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: boomer135

originally posted by: Sammamishman

alright so according to that diagram (probably from china. lol) the doors in question are in fact the apu exhaust and intake hatch. so thats solved. But why is it open in flight? thats the bigger question.

And from that drawing the panel that is open on the top that looks like its spilling out green fluids is the engine bleed air primary heat exchanger. To my limited knowledge of fighter design, isnt that something used on the ground as well? dont they use the bleed air to crank the engines?

The aft door that appears open is the APU exhaust. It only appears open. It won't open unless the forward door is also opened. Only way that can be open just that small amount it looks like would be a part failure. As far as green fluid, I don't remember seeing green any where, but there are possibilities. Nothing in that pictures seems out of the ordinary from every one I've been on top of.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609

Ya I figured that out and after visiting the FAA NOTAM archive my browser imploded upon coming back to ATS lol. I'm sure it just some nerd tech issue but I will say I puckered up a bit at first lol

Here's what they look like if you havent seen them. this is for edwards afb tonite...

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: EasyPleaseMe
Yes Skydrol tends to eat a lot of standard materials used in more mundane hydraulic systems. That's why I tend to double glove when playing around with it as after 5-10mins the standard disposable gloves simply fall apart. I didn't realize that military aircraft don't use it though. It was designed in the early 50's because of its fire retarding properties so it seems odd that it isn't in military use where fire risk is probably far greater.

I know my aviation fluids because I have had the very pleasant experience of having been sprayed, splashed and doused in most of them quite a few times. I certainly DON'T recommend Skydrol. It burns eyes, lips and errr... other very sensitive body parts (thoroughly wash your hands BEFORE you go to the toilet
). Imagine taking a fresh chilli and squeezing the juice into your eye and you get the picture and sensation, wonderful stuff!

LEE.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Copper nanoparticle

They probably add it to the fuel..

"Applications
The key applications of copper oxide nanoparticles are as follows:

As burning rate catalyst in rocket propellant. It can greatly improve the homogeneous propellant burning rate, lower pressure index, and also perform better as a catalyst for the AP composite propellant

Can be applied to the catalyst, superconducting materials, thermoelectric materials, sensing materials, glass, ceramics and other fields

As ceramic resistors, magnetic storage media, gas sensors, near-infrared tilters, photoconductive and photothermal applications

As semiconductors, solar energy transformation, and high-tech superconductors."
edit on 22-9-2014 by PlasticWizard because: Added article quote

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Why do people keep going round and round with this? I already pointed out (many posts ago) that the green perfectly matches the anticorrosive undercoat. Someone else kindly provided a photo that illustrated this. The apparently wet surface may be due to a bit of fuel left over after air-to-air refueling.

I also clearly identified the protruding item as the APU exhaust panel. That is what it is without question. Do you want the panel number? The part number? This is not an unidentified component. The only real question is why it might be open in flight.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
There isn't a copper nano particle added to the fuel.

Yes it's the APU exhaust panel. It isn't open. It is closed. There is material missing from near the exhaust door and only looks open.

Years of experience. The pilot will know if that door is open even a little bit. It doesn't open without the intake door.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I just had another look at these panels, and I honestly think the raised appearance of the APU exhaust is an optical illusion. I'm thinking it's just a dusting of carbon soot around some of the port, and given some of the discolouration seen on the rest of the airplane I think it's been a while since it has seen some exterior love.

Looking at the bottom pic where the door is clearly closed, there is also still a very visible dusting of black, which I'm again assuming is soot. That being the APU exhaust it would make sense we see this only on the one side. If black crap is coming out of the intake, then something has probably gone wrong.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkpr0

I just had another look at these panels, and I honestly think the raised appearance of the APU exhaust is an optical illusion. I'm thinking it's just a dusting of carbon soot around some of the port, and given some of the discolouration seen on the rest of the airplane I think it's been a while since it has seen some exterior love.

Looking at the bottom pic where the door is clearly closed, there is also still a very visible dusting of black, which I'm again assuming is soot. That being the APU exhaust it would make sense we see this only on the one side. If black crap is coming out of the intake, then something has probably gone wrong.

Between that and the missing material. Yes it is an illusion. As I said earlier, this jet looks like all the others I've been on top of.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join