It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Climate March in history on 09/21 in NYC to put pressure on world leaders at UN Climate Summ

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

originally posted by: Bilk22
heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

Amazing, isnt it?

Theyll come out in droves for this BS illusion/deception, but they wont march for their own freedom, or against corrupt government, or dispicable foreign policy etc..

It's not a "delusion." The science and data by far support the hypothesis of anthropogenic climate change as compared to the naysayers.

A second assumption that you just made is that some of these same people don't also advocate for other issues. For example, I was in the original Iraq War protests and marches, knowing that this represented deception to the public and an illegal war.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Think the kids will get out of line at the Apple store long enough to march? LOL

Haha, true enough, especially for the really young and/or apathetic. This holds true though for all ages I think.
I heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

That is a fairly judgmental and negative viewpoint. Can you show me the source for that.

And, I am not a millennial. And, quite well educated on the issues. I work in international development. There will be many different organizations and people there, including the UN Secretary General.

Given that this is a very real issue, a march is not silly by any means. Perhaps you could look at your attitude and ask yourself if putting down people showing up in public and advocating for important things is "mature" or a good thing. If more people actually showed their support for important topics or against such things as wars or what have you, we might actually see some real change. But, most sit in their houses and don't do anything, and perhaps rant on ATS or FB. "Armchair philosophers" as my mother used to call them.
Guess the irony wen't right over your "quite well educated" head.

Say why aren't you marching and protesting the Chinese for the slave labor practices they use to build those new iPhones? That's a real cause. Same goes for the Secretary. Or how about how the Chinese are poisoning the planet with chemical dumping? Why not march in China?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

So what are you asking ATS members to do?

Join the organization?

Well, I was just posting this for one, to see if anyone is in the NYC area and wants to attend, and two, raise awareness in general. A lot of people, through no fault of their own, don't know what is going on with the climate change negotiations and so on.

But yeah, if someone does want to get involved the link I posted might have some good info and generally speaking, it is good for all of us to look at our own impact on the environment, voting patterns, our leaders, and so on.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

What?

If you're trying to say my grammar is incorrect, it's not. "Our youth" as in the current young people of our country...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
For your information, we in the development world, including the Secretary-General, have spent the last year negotiating new global development goals that address countless issues, including human and labor rights around the world.

This conversation would go a lot better if you didn't assume that we aren't involved in a host of other issues.

And finally, the march tomorrow is about climate change because there is a high level UN conference on climate change with global leaders this month. So it is specifically aimed at the leaders at that conference.

Think the kids will get out of line at the Apple store long enough to march? LOL

Haha, true enough, especially for the really young and/or apathetic. This holds true though for all ages I think.
I heard most of the marchers are millennials. Their perspective on things is pretty naive. It's why they're so easily manipulated to participate in these silly marches. Most of them will have their slave built iPhones in hand. It will be a miracle if they don't trip and fall over one another while taking a selfie.

That is a fairly judgmental and negative viewpoint. Can you show me the source for that.

And, I am not a millennial. And, quite well educated on the issues. I work in international development. There will be many different organizations and people there, including the UN Secretary General.

Given that this is a very real issue, a march is not silly by any means. Perhaps you could look at your attitude and ask yourself if putting down people showing up in public and advocating for important things is "mature" or a good thing. If more people actually showed their support for important topics or against such things as wars or what have you, we might actually see some real change. But, most sit in their houses and don't do anything, and perhaps rant on ATS or FB. "Armchair philosophers" as my mother used to call them.

Say why aren't you marching and protesting the Chinese for the slave labor practices they use to build those new iPhones? That's a real cause. Same goes for the Secretary. Or how about how the Chinese are poisoning the planet with chemical dumping? Why not march in China?

edit on 20-9-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

We're only allowed to care and be active about one thing ever... didn't you get the memo?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

What?

If you're trying to say my grammar is incorrect, it's not. "Our youth" as in the current young people of our country...
Ah forgetaboutit. I laugh when I hear "the youth of today" crapolla. We were all young and foolish at one time. Then we grew up - at least most of us did. So we have a world that the youth built over and over again. Well according to your statement, that is.

I see a lot of kids that don't know how to do much other than text and tap away at a computer. We have college grads that never worked before - I mean never as in never having a paper route or working stocking shelves, complaining there's no work after graduation, yet they go out and buy top dollar cell phones. Now that's ironic.

I wasn't making fun of your grammar so don't get so defensive.

PS I don't mean all "yutes". I mean many.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

We're only allowed to care and be active about one thing ever... didn't you get the memo?

Must have missed that one. And of course, I think we both missed the memo that if we show up for this event and care about climate change then we must be utterly blind to other issues in this world.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Of course he`s angry about paying taxes on everything for nothing.

But you seem to want to protest for even more taxes ?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

For your information, we in the development world, including the Secretary-General, have spent the last year negotiating new global development goals that address countless issues, including human and labor rights around the world.

This conversation would go a lot better if you didn't assume that we aren't involved in a host of other issues. You seem really angry for some reason.

And finally, the march tomorrow is about climate change because there is a high level UN conference on climate change with global leaders this month. So it is specifically aimed at the leaders at that conference.

Tell the Secretary the climate has changed since the birth of the cosmos. Seems like you're fighting a much bigger force than you believe.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

Of course he`s angry about paying taxes on everything for nothing.

But you seem to want to protest for even more taxes ?

I think that the visceral reaction to people advocating for climate and environmental sustainability is really strange to me.

Also, there are many different solutions to climate change, not all involving taxes. Can you show me where I or the climate organizers stated that we are marching for more taxes?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Your argument has already been addressed many times. There is natural climate change, yes. But there is a portion of current climate change that cannot be explained by natural systems or sun cycles. That is the anthropogenic part. We are impacting the climate systems. There are ways to mitigate the worst effects of that. This is what we are advocating for. To us, therefore, it's the only responsible viewpoint.

This conversation would go a lot better if you didn't assume that we aren't involved in a host of other issues. You seem really angry for some reason.

Tell the Secretary the climate has changed since the birth of the cosmos. Seems like you're fighting a much bigger force than you believe.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
So this protest is to stop the climate change ? Or has the climate changed ? Or the climate is going to change ? I wonder what the Mammoths would think about all this weather we have been having ? It's been cool ,but didn't they freeze up real quick back in the day when it was warm in the north ? so many questions and hardly any answers .

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I think you have a grossly misinformed or hugely assumptive take on our youth.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

You pay for it on a daily basis already :

How Carbon Tax Works

Source

And do you actual know they use carbon gasses in greenhouses because it is good for growing plants and trees ?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
So this protest is to stop the climate change ? Or has the climate changed ? Or the climate is going to change ? I wonder what the Mammoths would think about all this weather we have been having ? It's been cool ,but didn't they freeze up real quick back in the day when it was warm in the north ? so many questions and hardly any answers .

It's not a protest, it is a march. There is not only a Climate Summit at the UN right now with world leaders, there is also the ongoing IFCCC negotiations on climate change, all of which need to lead to ambitious action. The march is a mile from the UN, where these leaders are. And many leaders will be at the march. So it is more an opportunity to show public support for our leaders doing something about it.

The climate is changing gradually, and we are impacting it and either causing the current change or accelerating it, which is dangerous for a multitude of reasons.

There are answers to your questions. For example, yes there are vast climactic events in the past, such as the mammoth examples seem to show. But there also is data showing that the current change cannot be explained by all of those natural phenomenon, such as sun cycles, etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yes, carbon dioxide is used by plants.

That doesn't address at all the global climactic system balance and how increasing c02 creates the "greenhouse effect." It's just like ibuprofen is good for some medical issues, but taking too much can harm you.

There is already plenty of CO2 for plants. In fact, another accelerator of climate change and greenhouse gas emissions is the loss of natural zones such as forests or plant life in the ocean, as through doing so the carbon that is trapped in these plants is released back into the air. These depositories of carbon in nature are called carbon sinks.

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

You pay for it on a daily basis already :

How Carbon Tax Works

Source

And do you actual know they use carbon gasses in greenhouses because it is good for growing plants and trees ?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I wish you were right and I wrong. And as I said, it's not all, but there are a lot of kids out there that don't know how to get their hands dirty. Peace!
edit on 07548Saturdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I wish you were right and I wrong. And as I said, it's not all, but there are a lot of kids out there that don't know how to get their hands dirty. Peace!

Yes, there will be some naive or unworked kids there.

My question for you though is why that is even relevant to this discussion?

Again, if this issue is real, pressing, and something that much OLDER global leaders are having to address as we speak, then people showing mass support for action is a good thing, regardless of whether they are young, old, experienced, not experienced, etc.

Your statements carry a new version of the old card "you all are hippies and need to take a shower and get a job. Real people don't have time to address issues like this." It's basically a combination of insult and dismissal without any facts to back it up.

"Only inexperienced or naive youth care about climate change and therefore none of this is important." See how silly that sounds?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So have they figured out where the missing heat is ? I know it was suggested that it was hiding in the oceans but so far nobody is able to say for sure if there is extra heat or where it might be because it's not in any observable data but is in the computer models they created to predict what the temps would be in the future . a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join