It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

But you can't stand behind helping someone for the sake of helping them for the potential of it benefiting societ as a whole?

It's not worth taking a chance?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
What do you mean? I am a dummy that has trained ex-cons in my trade, and paid them better than they would have had they landed a job at mcd or walmart, which wouldn't touch them even after I helped them dress, speak and act the part.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Then why didn't you supply the link and source for that information?

Because I don't care enough to look especially considering you have now ignored my post twice about me graduating debt free and I would have MADE almost $20k getting my Master's, you are welcome to research it.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I would love to see that info please.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
Well damn, why don't our high school guidance councilors know that and push it?

Show me they did not. My guidance counselor never pushed me to go to Harvard and my IQ is genius level. I had several professors in my undergrad try to get me to go to Harvard for my Master's and I simply told them no.

I graduated debt free, would have made $20,000 getting my Master's, and had an $80k a year job lined up once I graduated ... and I was a Social Work major. I went to State College.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TKDRL
I would love to see that info please.

Then research it. If I have time later I will, work is too busy right now to get into research.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Im skeptical your situation seems to be the exception and not the norm.

I'll also refer you to a poster in the last page talking about how people put the,selves on a pedestal. I'll have to go look for it.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Im skeptical your situation seems to be the exception and not the norm.

I'll also refer you to a poster in the last page talking about how people put the,selves on a pedestal. I'll have to go look for it.

Which highlights the point .. it's the person that ultimately matters. I did not impress people by which college I went to, I impressed them with my work ethic and understanding of the job, and ability to perform. Most of the students in my classes would not have had the same opportunity .. because they were not as intelligent, they did not work as hard, and they would have had a much more difficult time proving they could perform.

I had absolutely no connections to the job and was granted an internship as an undergrad that is reserved for graduate students only, based solely from the interview I had which was a formality before he rejected me.

My experience in college is most students do the bare minimum ... if that. They are not serious, they are lazy, and they feel entitled to a degree which they are unwilling to earn.

This of course is not representative of all students, but quite a few fall into that category.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Now that's a position I can't debate.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Now that's a position I can't debate.

Now networking is a major factor in getting jobs, and Ivy League schools provide that right away. This means getting your initial job is easier, and getting a better initial job is almost guaranteed.

SOME fields ... you absolutely need a top Ivy League education to get certain jobs.

Most fields you don't. If you work hard and prove your worth you will make those networking connections, get the right recommendations, and get good jobs. People with a weaker college degree, who are unable to perform, will have problems. People who prove they are a good worker will not. Ultimately it's character and self worth, not the stamp on your degree that matters. A big problem is that our youth are not being taught character.

My 2c.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You can't deny the fact that the majority of middle class jobs have been vanquished from the economy over the last 20 years due to globalization and that current graduates are entering a market that hasn't been seen in this country since the depression.

That's still the biggest factor in the equation.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   

a reply to: eriktheawful

Yup.

It's everyone responsibility to be part of the community.

Nope.

Sorry, but that might be YOUR ideal and way of thinking.

No one has to have a responsibility to be part of a community.

People can, if they so desire, be a part of a community, take part in a community, and even support their community.

What people are SUPPOSE to have is: responsibility for themselves.

Once mommy and daddy are done raising you, you're an adult. You can make adult decisions and have adult responsibilities, one of those being responsible for yourself.

I'm NOT responsible for you. Sorry. You are an adult. Take care of yourself. Be responsible for yourself. Work to achieve your goals, and stop demanding that everyone else do that work for you.

The only exceptions should be: Those who can not mentally or physically do so.

Not taking that responsibility for yourself when you are able to do so, and instead expecting everyone else to do it for you or expecting everyone else to give you everything you want has a special name.

Here is what that name is: Spoiled Brat.

Seen it a million times in my almost 50 years of life. Kid starts screaming their head off or pitching a fit because they want something, and were told "No.", only to have the parents give in, just to shut the kid up.

That's one of the reason we have such a large amount of the younger generation that seems to expect everyone to hand them everything, and to do everything for them.

I think you'll find that the majority of us that were brought up to learn that "No." meant "No." and that if we wanted something, we had to go out and work for it, are not the ones going around demanding that everyone else out there pay our way through life.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Why do I have to pay for the police to protect you? Or the military, get your own guns. Especially if we're not in this together.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Why do I have to pay for the police to protect you? Or the military, get your own guns. Especially if we're not in this together.

Who says you do?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Oh god.

Are you being serious?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I was in the military. So it was ME protecting YOU. Get that straight right now.

Next: I DO OWN GUNS. Why? I live in the country where response time for the cops is over 20 minutes.

So I DO protect myself. I don't care if you pay your taxes or not.

Is that the best rebuttal you can come up with?

Good lord, yes, our world is in fact doomed.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I served in the military so what?

And my rebuttal is perfectly sensible.

You want the community to work together for protection but not for education?

Do you pay car insurance, did you pave the roads?
those are all community projects which you support.

edit on 9/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Oh god.

Are you being serious?

Yes.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Wow, really? This from the guy who says to not believe the lie of jobs? Who is going to teach the kids when we give them the free education?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

It's called the irs and the judicial branch stop being ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join