It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: beezzer

The 12 year long propaganda machine known as high school and elementary school.

Then change the propaganda machine.

I didn't go straight to college. I first worked out a way that I could afford to pay for college before entering.

I mean, I want a 60" tv. But I'm going to figure out how to pay for it before entering the shop. NOT when I'm in the check-out lane.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Maybe these dead-beat bust-out loser college graduates should join the military?

20 years gets the pension, and a free education too.

Yeah let's further the global elite in conquering the rest of the planet!
Great idea there. -_-

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

How long ago was that?

How much has inflation and declining wages had an impact on the economy since?

What about 2007 ?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
the focus of our society should be teaching the younger generation as much as possible as they are the future....

TOTALLY agree. In teaching there must be listening as well as speaking though.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Can you expect an 18 year old to understand s after 12 years of brainwashing and limited exposure to the rest of the world?

No you can't.

Well we did when we decided to make the same choices..........

Whats the difference?

Kids now days have VASTLY more exposure to the rest of the world then we did back then

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I didn't go straight to college. I first worked out a way that I could afford to pay for college before entering.

I mean, I want a 60" tv. But I'm going to figure out how to pay for it before entering the shop. NOT when I'm in the check-out lane.

That was a great plan but I don't think people have the same type of opportunities in 2014.

It's true that many people spend more than they have and that's a big problem...well not for banks, in fact, they love that problem.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Thank you God for adding a far more articulate and logical post then I myself could have.

its cute that you only believe those who agree with your line of thinking are articulate and educated and everyone else, despite their possible back grounds, must be idiots.....

That says more about the mindset of this thread then anything else

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Umm I agree with this poster because he's right.

I'm right.

There's no mindset to this thread.

Education should be free and would benefit the entire planet period.

That's the mindset. period.
edit on 9/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

link   
I have a Master's degree in Information Technology with almost a decade of experience. I have encountered people in the industry that have been appointed to management roles that have an associate degree and a little over a decade of experience that are making double the salary that I make. I find them socially aggressive, barely able to add, subtract or write a coherent paragraph and dazzle with BS to get their way. Its sickening.

The IT industry is not what its cooked up to be with employers pushing salaries way below average with frequent lay offs to bring in new hires so the low salaries can be justified. Its bad to have to look for a job every 3 or 4 years. As one gains experience in the field, its harder to find work, employers just don't want to pay the higher salary requirements for experienced workers.

If you have high student debt in the IT field, there will be a rough and frugal future ahead.

link   

originally posted by: theMediator

originally posted by: beezzer

That was a great plan but I don't think people have the same type of opportunities in 2014.

It's true that many people spend more than they have and that's a big problem...well not for banks, in fact, they love that problem.

The same opportunities are still there the problem is the kids today have their priorities backwards they won't wait in a line for a job expo but have no problems waiting in line for 3 days for the newest $600.00 Iphone.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: onequestion

Thank you God for adding a far more articulate and logical post then I myself could have.

its cute that you only believe those who agree with your line of thinking are articulate and educated and everyone else, despite their possible back grounds, must be idiots.....

That says more about the mindset of this thread then anything else

And they wonder why they are in the position that they are in.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

You havent seen the data your making your judgements based on the "entitlement" curtain being draped over every issue that doesn't involve your age group.

Fyi current statistical data supports my position and you know this.
no I. Not providing sources Google it it's been talked about extensively on ats.
edit on 9/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Part of learning to be an adult is learning to make responsible choices......

If you decide to go to college major in something that will make you money........

Dont take 120k out in loans to learn basket weaving and then cry because you cant get a damn job.......

Learn a profession thats in demand ..........

Plenty of us went to school and incurred the debt, and yes it sucks, but most of us at least my generation worked their butts off to pay them off.......

I agree that the costs are ridiculous , but at the same time you have a conscious choice to decide what to do....

Make a plan and follow through........

No offense OP cause this comment isnt directed towards you in particular, but I hear A LOT of sniveling from the younger generations, they really need to , as my grandfather use to say, "Get more try in them, and not so much quit".

Right, because high school kids know what careers are in demand with all their life experience.

The counselors and college advisers don't know any better than the kids entering school. Most of the recommendations are flooded fields that only get worse while the kid spends 5 years earning a degree.

It's quite unrealistic to imply that college grads who can't find a job were just too stupid to choose the right field.

I've worked as a corporate recruiter and you'd be amazed how many people with great degrees are forced to look WAYYYY outside their field for work.

this whole post can be answered with two words....

Personal Responsibility ........

They would know these things if they did the research ..........

This whole "they dont know any better" mentality is just enabling the degradation of accountability, which is a symptom of the disease in the first place.......

Most people from my age back, have done a pretty good job taking care of their debts with school and making choices.......

Stop it with the "they are only kids" BS, at that point you are in charge of your education and if you want to make your way then by god grow the hell up and learn......

Do your research, look at the markets, look what pays, find out what you like.......and make a plan.......

We had a lot less resources to do things like this when I was getting ready to go to college.......

With the invention of the Internet and ANYTHING you want to know being within your grasp in 10 seconds, there is no damn excuse for it......

Stop with the coddling

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Sorry, I went to school for 4 years of college and I only wound up about $9k in debt. I did 2 years at community college where my 4.0 got me a substantial scholarship to Drexel University (was ticketed at about $26k/year when I graduated). Whatever you are doing to get $120k in debt is your own and your parent's stupidity. My brother ended up with about $350k of debt, after Medical School... A majority of that has been paid off in 4 years by working at state funded clinics (really crappy job) which have tuition reimbursement.

Fine, your 18 year old doesn't know better... you, the parent, should.

There are so many options... you can go to a community college, which WILL be FULLY paid for if your parents are low income. Many state schools are still very affordable as well.

edit on 20-9-2014 by TonyBravada because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You know, I have read about all of the responses on this thread and I see that most people responding believe, IMO, that the OP was referring strictly to the cost of tuition at the standard college level. I remember going to college and paying for lots more than just my tuition. The list I could create that would be considered expenses could be quite long.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

To be honest, I've noticed guys who carry "outdated" skills (maybe outdated is the wrong word, but not too popular nowadays) as being very valuable to companies who still use those older applications like Lotus Notes... But you're right, for the most part, that the IT industry if flooded with techs who either know very little or techs who ACT like that they know everything (on their resume) and quickly find out they aren't the jack-of-all-IT-trades like they believe..

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Your "personal responsibility" paradigm is wrong.

It's a blanket term used by people who refuse to look at the bigger picture of the economy and global integration and by people who refuse to understand that we've lost our manufacturing base are in a serious depression and have a largely service based economy.

Sorry but your not looking at the data.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

a reply to: thesaneone

You havent seen the data your making your judgements based on the "entitlement" curtain being draped over every issue that doesn't involve your age group.

Fyi current statistical data supports my position and you know this.
no I. Not providing sources Google it it's been talked about extensively on ats.

Of course you won't provide any source, I'm sure you expect other people to work for you.
See the problem.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyBravada
Sorry, I went to school for 4 years of college and I only wound up about $9k in debt. I did 2 years at community college where my 4.0 got me a substantial scholarship to Drexel University (was ticketed at about $26k/year when I graduated). Whatever you are doing to get $120k in debt is your own and your parent's stupidity. My brother ended up with about $350k of debt, after Medical School... A majority of that has been paid off in 4 years by working at state funded clinics (really crappy job) which have tuition reimbursement.

Fine, your 18 year old doesn't know better... you, the parent, should.

There are so many options... you can go to a community college, which WILL be FULLY paid for if your parent's are low income. Many state schools are still very affordable as well.

I also did my first two years at a community college to help offset the costs... BEST decision I ever made (in regards to my college experience)... Did I want to be away at a 4 year university partying with my friends? Of course, but I didn't have the money, nor the discipline, so in all, it worked out great in the end.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Umm I agree with this poster because he's right.

I'm right.

There's no mindset to this thread.

Education should be free and would benefit the entire planet period.

That's the mindset. period.

no you BELIEVE youre right, that doesnt make it so.......

it would be nice if education was free, but its NOT......

And because its not, people need to take responsibility forthe debt they incur and stop expecting other people to pay for it.

If you want to get a higher education and be a grown up, then take on the grown up responsibility , that means when you take out loans then you pay them off......

If you decide to major in something where you cant get good pay, then whose fault is that

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join