It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: pexx421
a reply to: NavyDoc And you can talk about the failings of their system all you like but it pales compared to the failings of ours. They have a much higher STANDARD of healthcare much cheaper than ours, they are much more educated, and have higher social mobility. And your talking points are no more than that. Talking points. Created by business leaders to get Americans to vote against their best interest, and no real world examples of your theories exist anywhere. Where socialized healthcare or education has been instituted around the world it had always been welcomed and appreciated by the people And they benefit greatly from it, while privatization has often been forced against the people's will,And often to the detriment of those needing its service,all so some corporations can reap massive profit art public expense.

I disagree that their standard of care is higher. We have more with easier and more rapid accessibility. We have a much higher social mobility for those willing to reach out and get it.

Education? We have government run primary and secondary education at the highest cost per student in the world. If you are going to point out our educational failings, it is actually proof that our bureaucracy is expensive and ineffective, not the opposite.

As for talking points, that's all you have given me.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Um....I live in Louisiana. And you didn't make mention of my two very valid examples of government run systems (toll roads, utilities) that work much better than private...

I was under the impression that Louisiana Power and Light was a private company that built most of the infrastructure.

Now don't let facts get in the way of a talking point

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

It is a common mistake. People turn on a light switch and think, "that works, must be the government".

Nope, private industry.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc no, they are way more expensive and just as kept up. And my utilities? Costs have doubled, and when there is a problem they NEVER come out and it rarely gets fixed. Also, mandatory military service is not a bad thing..... If your country is not constantly running around the world raping and killing people so we can steal their resources to support our"responsible" lifestyle and installing corporate friendly dictators

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

a reply to: NavyDoc no, they are way more expensive and just as kept up. And my utilities? Costs have doubled, and when there is a problem they NEVER come out and it rarely gets fixed. Also, mandatory military service is not a bad thing..... If your country is not constantly running around the world raping and killing people so we can steal their resources to support our"responsible" lifestyle and installing corporate friendly dictators

But that is a supposition. The facts demonstrate otherwise

We don't have mandatory military service. However, all of those European countries you tout as examples do. How many Swedes and Finns are going about "raping and pillaging?" They have mandatory military service and you cannot go to university until after you have fulfilled your military service obligation.

You tend to contradict yourself. Do you think these things over?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: pexx421

Your utilities were never government run. LP&L began building the infrastructure in the 1920's and the company has owned them since.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
But their government regulated and monopolize their localities.

That's a crime in and of itself.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
But their government regulated and monopolize their localities.

That's a crime in and of itself.

How so?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Utilities are deregulated and you can purchase your energy from various sources. Stop spreading false information.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus I never said energy. I said utilities, and I was referring to sewerage and water. It used to be city run, but it was sold to modad, and ever since then, as I said, costs have DOUBLED and good luck getting them to come out for service.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
people need to understand that they are no more than parts, replaceable parts, in the civilization engine. to the masters of infinity your debts, your hardships, your lifespan, are only ever considered in economic terms. how much will it cost to replace a worn cog?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

I cannot imagine they are that cumbersome compared to energy. My water bill is $30-40 per month and is private. My sewer bill is $185 a year and is city/county run. I also live in the highest taxed state in the union and I do not consider either of these to be high at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc Their standard of care is higher in every report done so far, by a far margin.... we are ranked 32nd I believe. As is their social mobility in EVERY report released. No, I have given examples where government run systems run as well as, if not better than, private ones, and all at a lower cost by far. Real world examples. You have yet to show me areas where making healthcare or education private, where it was government funded, have led to wonderful advances for everyone, as you claim is the case. Further, by raping and pillaging, I was referring to us. Mandatory military service in countries like Sweden and finnland are fine, as they don't go around the world doing unto others. It would be a disaster here where a massive percentage of our veterans suffer PTSD from the horrors they have been manipulated into inflicting upon others, and wind up homeless, jobless, and in the psych ward.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus Yes....our sewage WAS 20-30....when it was city run. Now, with modad it is 60-80, which is ridiculous for water and waste.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
HEY! YES, YOU!

This is the first topic to be discussed on tonight's Reality Remix. I expect to hear at least half of you call in and yell at me (if the phones are working tonight).

Yes, I have fairly strong feelings about this topic, and I'll express them.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Pretty much what I am paying and if $60-80 a month is breaking the bank you obviously have larger issues to deal with.

edit on 24-9-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Fund freely? Where do we get this money off a money tree?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus not the point!! You guys state again and again "private business is always more efficient and cheaper than government". I point out real life cases where this is disproved, and your response is "if 60 to 80 is breaking your back you obviously have bigger issues". Way to sidestep, kudos. However I much prefer to pay my city half the money for better service rather than sending my money to pad some rich guys vacation villa

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Did you ever stop to think that your city supplied water was artificially low and that increases were due to necessary upgrades to the infrastructure?

Does the city somehow have a magic way to suppress labor and maintenance costs?

Shreveport water, sewer rates to increase

SHREVEPORT, La. (AP) - Shreveport residents will soon see an increase on their city utility bills.

Beginning Oct. 1, The Times reports city water and sewer rates will increase by 13 percent and 55 percent, respectively. The hikes will appear on November bills.

City leaders began discussing the need for increased sewer rates to cover hundreds of millions of dollars in mandatory sewer repairs required in a consent decree, with the U.S. Department of Justice and the Environmental Protection Agency.

The consent decree is one of two reasons the increases were needed. The decree requires roughly $350 million in sewer improvements to be completed in a short time frame.

The other reason is because of not enough revenue being generated for annual maintenance of the water and sewer systems. Just one of many examples

edit on 24-9-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join