It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Can you expect an 18 year old to understand s after 12 years of brainwashing and limited exposure to the rest of the world?

No you can't.

I thought all 18-24 year olds know it all?

your what I call the I possible type. You cannot be reasoned with.

And the point your making with statement supports my position, AND IVE NEVER SAID THAT.

You grow up before you expect someone else to grow up first.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Answer

When government started subsidizing education for everyone is when the problem started. When government makes something "affordable," it rapidly becomes unaffordable for everyone. Government has the deepest pockets of all, and universities take advantage of that freely. Who cares about the rest of us? If we get priced out of the college, government will always pick up our tab ...

Actually, if you research the issue, education costs got out of control when the government stopped giving as much money to public universities back in the '70s. It was the withdrawal of government support that increased the tuition costs. The federal government realized they could benefit from subsidizing loans (that, of course, had to be repaid with interest) instead of financially supporting public universities (with earmarks) to keep costs down for students. The government became the loan shark instead of the supporter.

Higher education is big business.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

How do you curb the out control costs of obtaining a degree?

And you seriously don't support free education?

Do you not see how free education could help the entire world?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Answer

When government started subsidizing education for everyone is when the problem started. When government makes something "affordable," it rapidly becomes unaffordable for everyone. Government has the deepest pockets of all, and universities take advantage of that freely. Who cares about the rest of us? If we get priced out of the college, government will always pick up our tab ...

Actually, if you research the issue, education costs got out of control when the government stopped giving as much money to public universities back in the '70s. It was the withdrawal of government support that increased the tuition costs. The federal government realized they could benefit from subsidizing loans (that, of course, had to be repaid with interest) instead of financially supporting public universities (with earmarks) to keep costs down for students. The government became the loan shark instead of the supporter.

Higher education is big business.

And here we have a reasonable educated perspective versus a,

ME ME ME perspective. Which is the, " why would I(me me me) pay for someone else's education?)

edit on 9/20/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
First you want the baby boomers to die and get out of the way....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That won't leave many taxpayers to fund free education, will it?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
OK. Let's see if I got this straight. I went to university on student loans. I paid off those student loans and now you want MY tax dollars to pay for YOUR education? Have I got that right?

Okay because YOU had it hard you want EVERYONE ELSE to suffer through the same BS...
Well this just in, you got screwed too. So since YOU got screwed you want EVERYBODY ELSE to get screwed.

This type of mentality is why this stupid society is wrong wrong wrong.
We won't ever get no where thinking like animals.

The education of a nation is an investment for EVERYONE.
In the end, the boost it gives to the economy and society is very beneficial.

Oh but yeah, it would come out of YOUR tax dollars. You know those tax dollars that you will have to pay more and more if the poor get poorer and the middle class vanishes because of selfish ideologies that don't promote a just and educated society.

It's such a sin to chip in for the positive evolution of society?

No, it's much better to keep it to your little self.
A fearful, under evolved, recessive, negative, goalless, egoistical mentality that keeps us from becoming more than animals with guns.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

OK. Let's see if I got this straight. I went to university on student loans. I paid off those student loans and now you want MY tax dollars to pay for YOUR education? Have I got that right?

Not too often we agree.

I can't stand the fact that people actually think it is ok to blow 100k in student loans on a poorly research liberal arts degree, and then wonder why they aren't the Curator at the Smithsonian, or a rock star making millions.

Then when they find themselves working at McDs because of their poor life choices they want everyone else to pay for their student loans, and they want government to force McDs to pay them 15 bucks an hour despite not offering any new technical skills or increased job performance.

It's all about having other people pay for their mistakes while they live comfortably off the labor of others.

When you were 18 did you only make great ddecisions without guidance or this based on hindsight?

I'm more then willing to bet you all made very poor choices in your teens and if you claim that you didn't you either. Had a great family or you pe lieing.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

a reply to: jhn7537

How do you curb the out control costs of obtaining a degree?

And you seriously don't support free education?

I just completed my undergraduate degree in June of this year. I accrued quite a bit of debt and I would do it all over again... I know many peers who had their education paid for... I came from a low income family where my parents weren't able to help me one bit. I feel a sense of satisfaction knowing that I did this all on my own and I'm sure it will be a great feeling when that day comes and I've made my last student load payment.

Everyone today wants something for free... I don't want to live in that world..

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Who said that college had to be completed in 4 years right out of high school?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: theMediator

Okay because YOU had it hard you want EVERYONE ELSE to suffer through the same BS...
Well this just in, you got screwed too. So since YOU got screwed you want EVERYBODY ELSE to get screwed.

This type of mentality is why this stupid society is wrong wrong wrong.
We won't ever get no where thinking like animals.

The education of a nation is an investment for EVERYONE.
In the end, the boost it gives to the economy and society is very beneficial.

Oh but yeah, it would come out of YOUR tax dollars. You know those tax dollars that you will have to pay more and more if the poor get poorer and the middle class vanishes because of selfish ideologies that don't promote a just and educated society.

It's such a sin to chip in for the positive evolution of society?

No, it's much better to keep it to your little self.
A fearful, under evolved, recessive, negative, goalless, egoistical mentality that keeps us from becoming more than animals with guns.

Thank you God for adding a far more articulate and logical post then I myself could have.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Your damn right.

You better believe I expect our tax dollars to fund education especially when you take a look at the size of our military budget.

It is far more beneficial for society.

I can't argue with that. I think you guys spend ridiculous amounts on the military. I just don't see that changing any time soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The 12 year long propaganda machine known as high school and elementary school.

link   
Maybe these dead-beat bust-out loser college graduates should join the military?

20 years gets the pension, and a free education too.

link   
a reply to: onequestion

I've always understood that you shouldn't borrow money you can't pay back.

You said it yourself. It's all a choice right? So why should I have to pay to rectify the consequences of poor choices?

link   

Have you not noticed that most members that have responded negatively to your ideologies concerning education are little more than animals protecting their own little herd?

It's not their fault and they don't feel that they are wrong considering how many stars they give each other.

link   
The biggest mistake is a newly graduated person going straight into university with the premise that they know what they want to do. You're told to go straight into university because the system WANTS you to make a hasty decision to push you into debt with the hopes that you'll change your mind and then have to pursue something else which costs even more money. At 18 years old there is literally NO RUSH to jump into university unless you know exactly and passionately what you want to do with your life. Take some time, figure it out, get a trade ticket, make some money, etc. While it is true that you don't need a university education to succeed in the world, any higher level job requires one and in a world where the vast majority of highly paid professionals have university degrees you're not on a level playing field if you do not have one. And the way i see it, you've got one chance at life and you can absolutely fail doing something safe (ie trucker) so you might as well shoot for the stars.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Part of learning to be an adult is learning to make responsible choices......

If you decide to go to college major in something that will make you money........

Dont take 120k out in loans to learn basket weaving and then cry because you cant get a damn job.......

Learn a profession thats in demand ..........

Plenty of us went to school and incurred the debt, and yes it sucks, but most of us at least my generation worked their butts off to pay them off.......

I agree that the costs are ridiculous , but at the same time you have a conscious choice to decide what to do....

Make a plan and follow through........

No offense OP cause this comment isnt directed towards you in particular, but I hear A LOT of sniveling from the younger generations, they really need to , as my grandfather use to say, "Get more try in them, and not so much quit".

Right, because high school kids know what careers are in demand with all their life experience.

The counselors and college advisers don't know any better than the kids entering school. Most of the recommendations are flooded fields that only get worse while the kid spends 5 years earning a degree.

It's quite unrealistic to imply that college grads who can't find a job were just too stupid to choose the right field.

I've worked as a corporate recruiter and you'd be amazed how many people with great degrees are forced to look WAYYYY outside their field for work.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Grow up?

I did that already, went to collage for 6 months said screw it this is not for me applied for a state job as a summer temp was asked to sign on full time got paid very nice became disabled and now I have a internet store because I refuse to ask the government for anything and I'm happy to say that I'm doing pretty well for my wife and I.

But you keep on crying how life is so unfair.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'd rather have my taxes go to subsidizing education than going to the next bs war that tptb concoct!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I thought all 18-24 year olds know it all?

pretty big difference between thinking you know it all and actual knowledge....

the focus of our society should be teaching the younger generation as much as possible as they are the future....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join