It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putting an 18 year old into 120k debt should be considered criminal

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

And what's going to happen when labor cost go even lower, and robotics take over the service sector jobs?

The same thing that happened with the public was introduced to the home based electric refrigerator and the ice block deliveryman using the horse drawn cart had to deal with. He had to find new work.
Too bad he didn't have a union to back him, and force a portion of the public to keep the old low-technology.
Or receive tax payer funded subsidies to off set his life choice.

Who's going to feed everyone?

The people will feed themselves, when said people relearn a new job/trade.

There's simply isn't going to be jobs like there were ten years ago we need to start looking at new alternatives.

Man, technology is a bitch.
Guess no one creates those technologies, puts them into a product, maintains them or anything else.

What's your Mac? Do you have any? Or do you just simply only care about your tax dollars?

What is my career???
I have numerous.
At the current, I am a Telecom Engineer for my day job.
My evening work, which is the company that I own, we manufacturer and sell to the public high end items.
I also offer my services on a contract basis for Telecom and Network engineering.
I also perform on contract services Firearms training.
I also perform metal working and fabrication.

And yes, I am very concerned with my taxes, as that is money that is stolen from me, to give out to people like you.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

YOU'RE NOT LISTENING! You're the one who wants baby boomers to "get out of the way" so you can have their jobs. You are not entitled to have our jobs! You want SOMEONE ELSE to do something so you can be happy. You're not taking responsibility for yourself and your generation. All you have been doing is bitching about what the older generations have done that makes your life miserable.

I went to college. I paid my student loans (for years!). I made mistakes and paid for every one.

Now, instead of DOING something about your life, you come on here with a chip on your shoulder the size of Texas and complain about your life and try to blame it on someone else. Jesus! What do you want from us? You're not going to get life handed to you on a silver platter. Life is HARD. You have to WORK! You certainly have to do more than complain on a forum, for Christ's sake!

Millennials aren't the only ones who have to pay for their mistakes.
Millennials aren't the only ones who learn valuable lessons at a young age.
Millennials aren't the only ones who have to pay for their education.
Millennials aren't the only ones who can look at the generations before them and point out their mistakes.
Millennials aren't the only ones that matter!

Go DO something that's going to make a difference in your lives and the lives of your children. Run for office. Do SOMETHING useful. Moaning and complaining here isn't doing *SNIP*!

I agree with you on some of the issues, but the way you go after the people here is doing your cause NO good! Forget about blaming someone! Forget about us! And DO something to make your life better.

By the way, I was an electronics technician at GTE, Intel, Siemens and a few other companies and I'm retired.
edit on 9/24/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm not blaming anybody in this were discussing real issues that impact everyday life I. Western cultures.

In this country we celebrate athletes and celebrities and then blame our kids when they make the choice to pursue entertainment and arts and sports.

Your the person whose mad.

Your the person who's blaming mellenials in the same exact post that your telling me to stop blaming people.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Your the person who's blaming mellenials in the same exact post that your telling me to stop blaming people.

What have I blamed you for?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

And what's going to happen when labor cost go even lower, and robotics take over the service sector jobs?

The same thing that happened with the public was introduced to the home based electric refrigerator and the ice block deliveryman using the horse drawn cart had to deal with. He had to find new work.
Too bad he didn't have a union to back him, and force a portion of the public to keep the old low-technology.
Or receive tax payer funded subsidies to off set his life choice.

Who's going to feed everyone?

The people will feed themselves, when said people relearn a new job/trade.

There's simply isn't going to be jobs like there were ten years ago we need to start looking at new alternatives.

Man, technology is a bitch.
Guess no one creates those technologies, puts them into a product, maintains them or anything else.

What's your Mac? Do you have any? Or do you just simply only care about your tax dollars?

What is my career???
I have numerous.
At the current, I am a Telecom Engineer for my day job.
My evening work, which is the company that I own, we manufacturer and sell to the public high end items.
I also offer my services on a contract basis for Telecom and Network engineering.
I also perform on contract services Firearms training.
I also perform metal working and fabrication.

And yes, I am very concerned with my taxes, as that is money that is stolen from me, to give out to people like you.

Your not getting it. There's no jobs in this country because of global integrating and the declining labor market. There's no factories to work in anymore and they are still moving over seas.

Don't think that's an issue? Really?

We have 69% of our economy is service sector, those jobs are already being eliminated by robotics.

The trades are dying because people can't afford to fix their houses enemy because the buying power of the dollar has been on massive decline due to massive inflation and the choices of the federal reserve.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Millennials aren't the only ones who have to pay for their mistakes.
Millennials aren't the only ones who learn valuable lessons at a young age.
Millennials aren't the only ones who have to pay for their education.
Millennials aren't the only ones who can look at the generations before them and point out their mistakes.
Millennials aren't the only ones that matter!

Actually mis quote, I read that wrong and I agree
edit on 9/24/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Mellenials are the first generation to have a lifelong debt with a predatory lending system with massive increases in tuition cost.

Share in the responsability because these choices are results of our culture of celebrity worship and worshipping athletes and not engineers and the space program.

Neil Tyson says it best.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Nobody is blaming you, we are just telling you to put on your big boy pants and deal with personal responsibilities like everyone else.

You will never move ahead with such a negative outlook.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Ummm. I'm doing fine.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
No one forces you to go to college.

There are many jobs that pay very well that don't require a college education. My cousin has one. He's a trucker.

There are also ways to get your college education that don't require you to do it in the traditional four years on college loans.

When do we stop the "free stuff" ride in this country? When did "I want it and don't want to pay for it, so I'm entitled to it" become an excuse to make it government-funded? We cannot afford to do this healthcare, and we cannot afford to do this with college education, either.

Another thing to consider is that you generally get what you pay for. Free is not quality. It isn't with health care, and it won't be with college education, either. There is a reason why no one talks much about going to Europe to get their college diploma, and most everyone travels to the US to get theirs.

Yet the U.S cant afford to spend billions, if not trillions, on military expenses.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

There's no jobs in this country because of global integrating and the declining labor market. There's no factories to work in anymore and they are still moving over seas.

I absolutely think that's an issue. But the people who are ruining our economy cannot be pigeonholed into an age group. It's not about age. You're alienating millions of potential allies by casting a wide net of blame over an age group. Just because the people who are responsible for that are baby boomers doesn't mean that baby boomers in general are to blame.

I agree that college is too expensive. It's wrong. But you're making enemies by trying to blame an age group for the situation your peers find themselves in.

We are on the same side as regards the issues in this country, but you're pissing people off with the chip on your shoulder. You would have a LOT more support on this board if you stopped making it about age and stopped the victim position. There are PLENTY of people your age who are successful and brilliant.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Mellenials are the first generation to have a lifelong debt with a predatory lending system with massive increases in tuition cost.

Not even close.

There has been multiple generations born directly into indentured servitude.

Not only were they born with a predetermined debt, they were absolute slaves until it was repaid.

They still survived.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Ummm. I'm doing fine.

Sure you are that's why you want old people to die so you can get better work.

I swear a couple of weeks ago you were moaning that you couldn't get any work and asking ATS how to generate more work, it's hard to keep up with all your moaning and complaints.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well, it is about age because I'm talking about kids going into lifelong irreversible debt at an age that we can't be serious about holding them fully fiscally responsible.

18 year olds don't have any real world experience let's be honest here they aren't totally accountable yet until they live life on their own and learn what responsability is.

it seems rare these days that kids come out of their home at 18 and understand this.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

No I'm literally doing fine I start managing 130,000 square feet tile installation tomorrow that's a job that's going to last the company that I work for probably over a year.

It's not all about you ya know.

Those with eyes to see.

link   

a reply to: NavyDoc

We need more apprenticeships not trade schools.

I agree with that. The apprentice program is a great way to learn a skilled trade while getting job experience and a paycheck.

The trouble is that it requires something that a lot of young Americans don't want to do--work. For many, university is just an extension of highschool and the prolongation of adolescence.

link   

Your not getting it. There's no jobs in this country because of global integrating and the declining labor market. There's no factories to work in anymore and they are still moving over seas.

I am getting it.
There are plenty of jobs to be had.
Care to provide a location, so a search can be performed?

We have 69% of our economy is service sector, those jobs are already being eliminated by robotics.

Those damn robots!!!!!
I actually welcome our robot overlords. They bring cookies.

The trades are dying because people can't afford to fix their houses enemy because the buying power of the dollar has been on massive decline due to massive inflation and the choices of the federal reserve.

So, as I read this BS, I look out the window of my house, as I work from home. I see 9 houses, including mine, that were built less than a year ago. All well above the $300k mark. I look down the other way, and see 19 lots on my street. 4 have foundations poured, 1 is almost done with framing and 6 others being excavated. All those will now sell at or above $400k.

Workers are coming and going.

My day job has my queue with 40 open projects to design Telecom connections for them. 100 seats or above.

My company I own, we sell our product for around $3k each. I have 65 requests in, I am 4-6 months backlogged and we are still getting orders in.

Stop making excuses for your failures.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

Oh, my failures?

Ok make it about me.

Where do you live west Texas?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Oh because that's not what it's been the entire time?

Give me a break college in America have been about partying for the last 50 years.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Share in the responsability because these choices are results of our culture of celebrity worship and worshipping athletes and not engineers and the space program.

I do NOT share in the responsibility. I don't give a crap about celebrity, I HATE sports and I worked in engineering and am married to an engineer.

The way our country is going to hell has been happening around me and I've done everything I can to make it stop, but I'm just not that powerful and don't have the money. Those with the money are doing this. Regardless of their age or political party. This country is changing and there's not a damn thing to be done about it UNLESS those affected start getting into government and start making the decisions for themselves. Don't wait for people to "step aside", kick them out!

I don't envy you AT ALL. I wouldn't want to bring children into this world for the very reasons you put forth. I feel for you. But all I'm saying is blaming an age group is wrong. And someone with your passion should be running for city counsel or something.

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

So your solution is for everyone to become a nurse?

In fall 2014, some 21.0 million students are expected to attend American colleges and universities, constituting an increase of about 5.7 million since

source

So, what should these 21 million people do? Maybe 10 million nurses, 5 million electricians, and 5 million engineers? Great........I'm sure that will work. We'll be in exactly the same position.

Perhaps if they are going to get a degree that qualifies them only to be a barista, then they could skip the middle man and the debt and just become a barista.

When you have one American kid and 30 Chinese kids in an engineering class, the problem becomes quite clear.

Is it the kids fault or the parents fault?

We have serious cultural issues with cure option and greed. They need to be addressed.

No we have serious cultural issues about lack of individual responsibility and a refusal to think ahead.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join