It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Windows XP be Installed on Intel Sandy Bridge CPU/Motherboards

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: championoftruth

Hmmm, I wonder what you did wrong or differently? I am currently running linux mint 17 kde and I did very little tweaking to it as it was so very sweet. I would add that I am not much of a fan of the standard (gnome desktop) version though. KDE just seems more stylish and I like the apps better, though it is very gui intensive.

But then I have been anti windows since the days of ME.

posted on Sep, 29 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerLightning

Hi
I am interested in your computer as below or something with similar specifications.

"Sphere PC Intel Haswell Quad Core i5 4460 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 1TB USB3.0 Computer or something with very similar specifications".

Question is could you replace the i5 4460 cpu with the Intel i5 2500k cpu using a motherboard which allows the Intel i5 2500k to be overclocked?

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. The 2500k CPU is now a very old model (2nd generation) which has gone end of life, so we are unable to supply this item. This CPU also uses a difference socket so it is not compatible with our current motherboards (4th generation).

The current equivalent of the 2500K is the 4690K which can be found here:

www.ebay.co.uk...:MESE:IT

Please note that we do not recommend overclocking our PCs as this will void both ours and Intels warranty. If you still wish to overclock the PC then please let us know which motherboard you are looking for so that we can provide you with a quote for the changes.

I hope this information helps however if you require any further details then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Alex White

Component Warehouse

to Alex
Hi Alex
Thanks for your reply.I would like to know if the above pc you mentioned would be able to run windows XP with sp3?

I know it's not supported by Microsoft and we should all be using Windows 7 or 8 according to the hype however my workplace still uses Windows XP in tens of thousands of computers due to other other software compatibility issues.

For a similar reason I want to know if you have installed or tested windows XP on the above computers and if there are any issues.

In fact if you have not tested it already then you should install and test XP on these machines and update your ebay website with this information and you could use this as a selling point as many people,regardless of the microsoft hype, prefer XP due higher productivity.

Even my children ditched windows 7 after trying it as it took 3 times as long to get anything done with it.

Regards,

to me

Hi,

Unfortunately our 4th generation systems do not support Windows XP as these were released after Microsoft had already announced the end of XP support. The last systems to support XP were our 3rd generation models which we have very few left. We do still have the 3570 available which is compatible with Windows XP however it cannot be overclocked:

Please note that you will need to follow the steps listed on the following page to successfully install Windows XP:

www.component-warehouse.co.uk...

We are still able to pre-install Windows 7 and this is not too dissimilar to Windows XP (unlike Windows 8 which is very different in design). Windows 7 is compatible with all of our PCs as standard.

I hope this information helps however if you require any further details then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Alex White

Component Warehouse

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. The 2500k CPU is now a very old model (2nd generation) which has gone end of life, so we are unable to supply this item. This CPU also uses a difference socket so it is not compatible with our current motherboards (4th generation).

The current equivalent of the 2500K is the 4690K which can be found here:

Please note that we do not recommend overclocking our PCs as this will void both ours and Intels warranty. If you still wish to overclock the PC then please let us know which motherboard you are looking for so that we can provide you with a quote for the changes.

Many thanks

Alex White

Component Warehouse

Hi,

Unfortunately our 4th generation systems do not support Windows XP as these were released after Microsoft had already announced the end of XP support. The last systems to support XP were our 3rd generation models which we have very few left. We do still have the 3570 available which is compatible with Windows XP however it cannot be overclocked:

Please note that you will need to follow the steps listed on the following page to successfully install Windows XP:

www.component-warehouse.co.uk...

We are still able to pre-install Windows 7 and this is not too dissimilar to Windows XP (unlike Windows 8 which is very different in design). Windows 7 is compatible with all of our PCs as standard.

Many thanks

Alex White

posted on Dec, 21 2021 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: championoftruth

To update your BIOS, first check your currently installed BIOS version. ... Now you can download your motherboard's latest BIOS update and update utility from the manufacturer's website. The update utility is often part of the download package from the manufacturer. If not, then check with your hardware provider.

posted on Dec, 23 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

<< 1   >>

join