It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kremlin Poised To Unplug Internet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

who said it's to prevent something from getting in?

i would say it's rather to prevent something from getting out.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jedi_hamster

They would want to do both. Prevent stifling of opposition, oppression, humanitarian abuses, severity of the situation, and extent of opposition in general from getting out; prevent aggressive Western propaganda and Information Operations (IO) from getting in.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

What about all the wireless packets? lmao

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Considering Google and their relationship with the White House I would make the same call . No need to leave in place a system that can be used against you and your people .It's not like the Russian population hasn't been noticing the distorted story line coming from the west . Oh this vid with Assange is pure gold when considering the web and who Google really is

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
Yes, I don't question that reason either, it is fully understandable.

It is the free speech that goes with it, you can't balance these two. If protest or war occur in Russia, its people deserve and have a right to have a voice and connection with the outside world ... indeed, even to receive Western propaganda as the other side of argument for rationale thought and consideration from Russian propaganda.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

I don't think that Russia has total control of their kill switch. Unless maybe they throw an EMP at themselves.

Snowden+Stuxnet and a pinch of 'wireless' internet

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

When I read the article, I believe it was talking about in a worst case scenario where the west tries to cut Russia off from the net.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Find Russian Girls and Russian Women | Facebook
www.facebook.com...

better hurry

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Russia has one of the most active populations of hackers in the world...so good luck to him.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
How would they stop satellite internet connections?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Oh I wouldn't worry about the Russian people not being able to identify propaganda weather from their own Govt. or the west . They have a good history of being subjected to it in the past . We in the west are just catching on to the ways it's played on us. I am hoping that they may end up creating another web that we might have access to .Someone might create a RATS (russian above top secret) a reply to: AllSourceIntel

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Thanks Bob, I was wondering what the trending dating site was these days. Trashyhookupsandfreeexecutables.com just hasn't been panning out for me.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

US Government Has Secret Kill Switch for Communications

Here from the original source...

Is it legal for the Obama administration to activate a kill switch? Yep, and kill switches aren't new. In 1918, a congressional joint resolution authorized the president to assume control of US telegraph systems, in order to operate them during World War I. Then, in 1934, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Communications Act, which decreed, "Upon proclamation by the President that there exists war or a threat of war, or a state of public peril or disaster or other national emergency, or in order to preserve the neutrality of the United States, the President, if he deems it necessary in the interest of national security or defense, may suspend or amend" both wireless radio and phone services, which means it's not clear whether this could apply to internet service (although the Federal Communications Commission has used that argument before, when deregulating internet service over telephone lines in 2005).

www.motherjones.com...

So you can see this isn't something new. And if they had the internet back then you can be sure it would have been on that Communications Act.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

When I read the article, I believe it was talking about in a worst case scenario where the west tries to cut Russia off from the net.

He also says he can do it to stop the Russians from seeing a foreign backed protests, yet it would be up to him to decide what he deems as "foreign backed protests" so who's to say he doesn't use that excuse to pull it. As I said before, the internet is the only way they can see what's happening in the world, as Russian media really doesn't give you that freedom.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
So long as theres a way for a packet to get to its destination the net will survive so unless they go around actually chopping cables

Two words

North Korea

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

Actually it would have to be from coming in if he thinks that a supposed foreign backed protest were to happen in Russia he doesn't want the Russian people the ability to see it. As we all know today you can get the info out...North Korea comes to mind, but if you don't have incoming then the rest of the country doesn't have the ability to know protests are even happening.

Simply put...keep the citizens from knowing and it's easier to control them.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Relax folks, Putin has just got a little catching up to do. He wants to be on par with the U.S. with his propaganda machine. Russia's web companies are still a bit in the dark ages when it comes to cutting the service regionally and on demand. It's just a little measure to allow for a bit of needed editing from time to time that's all. The country isn't going dark any time soon.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

North Korea

It is amazing how they are with their internet...

Reporters Without Borders - an organisation which monitors global press freedom - said some North Korean "journalists" had found themselves sent to "revolutionisation" camps, simply for a typo in their articles.

www.bbc.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That would be really draconian act to shut down the internet on people.

That would be equivalent to Russia following communism and depriving its people of basic things when most of the world was following capitalism and prospering.

Anti-technology is not the way to go. Hope Kremlin understands that !!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Something even Obama has threatened to Do.

What's the Difference?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join