It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does money give you happiness?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have read many times, from many people, that money doesn't give/buy you happiness.

I think this is false, I think money does give you happiness. I think you get happy when you buy a new car, a big house, luxury, etc. who doesn't get happy when they go to vacation on a beach with clear water, white sand and palm trees?

I do agree that you can be happy without money, but more money can make you happy with a luxurious life that has more options than someone without much money.

I also understand that someone with a lot of money can't buy love, but neither can someone with little money. Love can't be bought but it's found without money, something that anyone can do.

So I ask all of you, what is your opinion? I want to debate a bit.

edit on 20-9-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Money would take away a hell of a lot of stress.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

But you have to get those things to be truly happy? What would you do without their distraction?
I hold that people places and things make us happy for a while but ultimately never satisfy the hole in our soul.

Like you said the things you need to be happy have to be new.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

The term 'money can't buy you happiness' I think is more driven towards the people born into the money, or given at a young age. And in a more depressed way, loved ones lost; money cannot bring them back.

As for people like me who work their ass off for money, yes, yes it does. Money I EARN through hard work is displayed in the material things I have, the food I eat, the ability to go on vacation, it brings me freedom and security, which in turn brings me happiness.

Thought I'd add this video, watch the whole thing to see a man with all the money he can ever want.

edit on 20-9-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Nope .. money doesnt give happiness .. youd be surprised just how many wealthy people are unhappy and alone even though surrounded by sycophants who pick up crumbs .. theres far more important things in life than damn money and material # ..
much prefer poor and happy over rich and miserable ..

As to those with severe moneyface ..may they choke on their damn money ..
edit on 20/9/14 by Expat888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

the definition of happiness changes from person to person.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think whoever coined that phrase was trying to convince their poor selves that it was true. LOL

Seriously though, unfortunately this world revolves around money. Without it life can be very miserable. I don't need bigger, better or faster with my money. But when I can pay my bills, have some money stashed for emergencies and rainy days I'm a more content person. I'm a happy person by nature but, I do like to add to my happiness by not dealing with the stress of not having money when I need it.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I personally know three separate million dollar plus lottery winners.

All three went broke and were estranged from their families.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Money does buy you happiness as the great Danial Tosh once said.

Money buys you happiness, because money buys you a wave runner. Ever see anyone frown on a wave runner? Nope, it's impossible. Why? Because those things are freaking AWESOME!!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It damn sure greases the skids.

ETA: When you have none and you need it ... you'll know what I mean.

The ups and downs in my life have all been dictated by having enough. I have been so poor, I've wondered whether or not I was going to be able to adequately feed my kids.

Looking at retirement, I realize my income will not overcome inflation. My investments have ensured my children a (relatively) debt-free foothold in life. They'll have to earn to keep their heads above water. The wife and I will do fine, but our savings will likely be depleted before the end comes.
edit on 2092014 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If your sole desire for money is for materialistic purposes, ie having the biggest and most expensive things you can, just because you can, then no, money won't provide happiness. But if your desire for money is to have it to facilitate freedom, then yes, it certainly can provide happiness.
If I had money, I'd use it to move and pay for a college degree where I want. At the moment I'm living somewhere I absolutely hate, and there was a particular out of state university I would have liked to attend... But I'd end up owing like $120,000 in loans for doing so. If I had enough money to do that though, damn right I'd be happy.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Some money for things that you need does give you happiness. Now the more you get, the more you buy and this cycle escalates to where you only appreciate the things that more money can get you. It is like the video games, we buy more complex ones because we have mastered the ones we have. We crave the excitement, the challenge.

It isn't just money that is the problem, it is when we get hooked on increasing our wealth. You are only happy when you have money, but that happiness disappears and so do the friends you made when the money is gone.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Iv'e been very poor, Homeless in fact.

I have also amassed a lot of money thru an inheritance and investments. In fact some would have considered me rich.

Rich is better!

But I was happy as a homeless guy too. "Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose" Bobbi McGee

edit on 20-9-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I agree with most of the comments above. If you grow up without much than you know the value of a dollar and appreciate all that comes with is as opposed to those who grow up fed with a silver spoon. As someone who lived in homless shelters, a motel, and even a car as a kid I can tell you that money would make me very happy because I wouldnt have to struggle to get by and work so hard which can cause depression. Money buys shleter, food, and all the other things that are essential to survival. Having money alone won't make someone happy if they suffer from depression due to to mental illness. It's about what you do with the money. I believe the term "money can't buy you happiness" originated as a way of saying money can't buy you love. I think most people want to love and feel loved and money cant buy you real love or friendship. When you have money it is harder to know who is there because they really care for you, or what you have.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
"Does money give you happiness?"

I'm willing to test it out...

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Money might not make a person happy but not having it certainly can make you sad.

I feel no regret in saying I am doing pretty well financially. I work hard , get paid very well for what I do and enjoy all the benefits that come from that. If I wasn't getting paid well then I wouldn't be able to live life the way I want.

I could sit here and say "earning money is different then winning or being given it" in the end..it doesn't matter. I don't have to struggle to pay my bills and I know people that do. I can tell you that I am much happier then they are at the end of each month.

If that makes me greedy so be it. At one point in my life I had close to $30k in Credit Card debt..Manned up, did not ask for a redo I mean bankruptcy (and their are 100% legit reasons why people file for bankruptcy, not wanting to pay off debt you accumulated isn't one of them) so i know what it's like to have to live pay check to pay check and figure out in my head if I can afford the bottle of water I was looking at. Having been on that side of the tracks my plan is to never go back.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Money = peace of mind when it comes to looking after yourself and your family, that means more time to spend being happy and not stressed about not having money.

Money means options, more options the better.

Money doesn't literately buy happiness, but it damned well helps.

edit on b44441037 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Money doesn't literately buy happiness

It may not buy happiness but it can at least rent it...

Peace

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I agree with what most have been saying.

We have to be realistic in this world and accept that it revolves around money.

It can take away the stress of not having enough to pay the bills, or not having enough to pay your debt, house, car, gas, etc. It can also mean the difference between cheap and expensive hotels, more options when buying anything, better vacations, able to live in safer places, able to travel the world, etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Money can help make the misery less miserable.
Good health for me and my family would make me happy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join