It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Gang members thought boy, 9, was warning rivals and killed him

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I really hate watching/turning on the news here in Chicago... It's constantly filled with sad/embarrassing stories from my neck of the woods..

Today, I went to Chicago Tribune to read some of the top stories when I came across a story about 4 gang members who targeted, and shot & killed a 9 year old boy, because they thought he was some rival gang member.. What pains me even more is that the dipsh*t superintendent keeps stating that it's "gun problems"... Really? If that was true, then why aren't we seeing this gun problems spill over to other neighboring cities? Are we to believe that these gun problems are obeying these imaginary lines that separate Chicago from the neighboring suburbs? Its not a gun problem, its a people problem...

Many like to believe that these communities have been neglected for generations, but I can't buy into that. Literally billions upon billions upon billions of dollars have been spent on program after program seeking to lift folks in these communities out of poverty and ignorance. And yet we see that, for some, there is little change.

How hard is it to stay in school? How hard is it to get a mundane job to pay the bills. There are thousands of folks in these very communities who DO just that. We hardly ever hear about them because they go about their business. In this case, unfortunately, we are hearing about one such family. The family of that 9 y/o boy. How is it THEY stayed out of trouble and the 4 perps didn't?

Please explain the difference between these families. Why do some choose such an evil path when most don't? Who are you going to blame for the choices of individuals? Boys clubs, YMCAs, city programs, libraries in every neighborhood - resources are there. Please explain why the perps turned away from them?

RIP Antonio Smith... Sorry that the city I used to love never gave you a chance at life. 9 years old is way too young.. I really wish we could take these animals out back and execute them, but instead we need to let the court system run its course, wasting millions of tax dollars on upcoming court cases and their future life sentences...

Chicago Tribune

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Such a tragic story. There are many reasons why one kid turns out good and another doesn't.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Such a tragic story. There are many reasons why one kid turns out good and another doesn't.

It's really disturbing how often we see stories like this here in Chicago.. Just senseless murder on the South/West sides of the city.

I know this is a little off topic, but I really don't understand why RICO statutes aren't used more often with gangs. We see it with organized crime (like the Italian Mafia), but when it comes to street gangs you don't see it used as often.

These gangs literally terrorize these communities, they should be treated as such... Which is very harshly..

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
In my opinion this all has to do with the gangster culture. As much as I maligned my parents for this view as a teen, I can see it now....These kids sit and watch rap videos with their gun toting and women hating themes, where backing down or not appearing ready to kill is a sign of weakness. Just watch the first 48 on TV and any episode pretty much contains gangster-ized individuals who are living out a pre prepared fantasy.

As I get older I realize they should have way more restrictions on what is permitted in music and TV in order to suppress this culture. I watched on TV last night about a murder for the simple fact that these 16 year old kids were in "rival rap groups" and at the wake of a murdered teen, the kids rapped about revenge. Its all in this music culture that is destroying society.

On the flip side to this, go into any mall or crowded area and see the various TV characters in their little groups, from reality TV wannabees to gangsters, to trendy tattooed people, we are all completely influenced by what we choose to stick into our ears and eyes.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Exactly its a people problem not a gun problem. This will not get any better by banning Guns, im pretty positive I can say that these Gangbangers were not owning a gun legally. What a tragic loss of life

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If a kid is brought up with self esteem, morals and compassion, music or videos shouldn't be a main influence on them. These kids are disturbed. I wonder what their home life is like? Not blaming all parents, because sometimes a kid turns out bad no matter what. Maybe some kids are terrified not to join a group, or they will get killed. These kids needs to be punished long enough for it to make enough of an impact to stop it. I don't know, but something has to be done or we will keep losing innocent lives.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537
Humanity as a whole has become like rats in a cage. Most are out only for themselves and will do whatever it takes to get theirs. It's not only shown in tv and music as Darkjedig has stated, it is played out by corporations, governments and even the parents of so many of these wannabe thugs.

I do strongly agree that guns are not the problem but, as things escalate guns will be part of the solution. Statistics are already proving that. The more legal gun carrying people we have, the more these thugs will think twice about trying to intimidate, burglarize ect. We live in world that deems one has to do what they can to protect themselves.

I know many will disagree with me, but you have to fight fire with fire. When someone comes up against you do you think you can talk them out of robbing, harming or even killing you? You surely can't depend on the police, in most cases it takes them too long to get there to give any help.

I do realize that this poor child would not have had a gun, don't get me wrong there. It's so very sad that he lost his life before he could really even begin to live it. RIP little one.
edit on 20-9-2014 by 2manyholes because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2014 by 2manyholes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

4 people targeted and killed a nine year old boy. This is premeditated Murder, simple. Lock them up and throw away the key!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I respect your opinion but any person who targets and murders a 9 year old child does not deserve to live.
edit on 20-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Here in the UK we don't have the luxury of capital punishment. Which i'm quite happy with regarding most instances.

However my opinion regarding people who stalk and kill 9 year olds is they should be handed over to the boys parents and family and let them decide the punishment to fit the crime.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Here in the UK we don't have the luxury of capital punishment. Which i'm quite happy with regarding most instances.

However my opinion regarding people who stalk and kill 9 year olds is they should be handed over to the boys parents and family and let them decide the punishment to fit the crime.

I agree... It would be nice if justice could fall into the families hands for a change, of course with zero possible consequences, but that would never happen... Just sad to think that 4 grown men (19-22) went out of their way to target a 9 year old... A freaking 9 year old.. The story just made me sick when I read it this morning..

Sad world we live in...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

4 people targeted and killed a nine year old boy. This is premeditated Murder, simple. Lock them up and throw away the key!

I really wish we didn't need to waste tax dollars locking these fools up for life. 4 bullets and a pistol would be so much cheaper. And I'm sure the masses would be okay with it...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
If a kid is brought up with self esteem, morals and compassion, music or videos shouldn't be a main influence on them. These kids are disturbed. I wonder what their home life is like? Not blaming all parents, because sometimes a kid turns out bad no matter what. Maybe some kids are terrified not to join a group, or they will get killed. These kids needs to be punished long enough for it to make enough of an impact to stop it. I don't know, but something has to be done or we will keep losing innocent lives.

I'm a firm believer that it's a combination of environment, abuse (verbal & physical), and parental neglect.

Environment = Low income, high crime, low education

Abuse = Disciplining your child with a "switch" or whatever parents are using today & verbal abuse we all know what that is.

Parental Neglect = Where are these parents? Are they helping with their kids school work, encouraging them, etc.? Are they absent parents? Are they locked up in prison or even worse dead?

I understand that when you're raised in this type of environment you are fighting an uphill battle, but I feel the parents/kids of these places just give up too easy and just accept that this is their place in the world, their reality...

I really wish the Mayor/Governor/even dipsh*t Obama (seeing as he is a Chicago native) would care to help bring change... All they want to do is hammer home the gun restrictions, but ignore the fact that it's the people and not just the guns. If it was the guns we would see these shootings in all the neighboring cities. It's the people of the community, not all of them, but the reckless, terrorist-like gang bangers who have zero issues when it comes to pulling the trigger as rival gangs, random strangers, 9 year old boys, etc..

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

That already exists in parts of the world. Notice how when "Sharia Law" isn't mentioned, just the actual act of practicing it, it sounds ok for some situations?

You are very right for being this upset about it. I live near Wrigley North (as some of you folks call it) and while Milwaukee isn't nearly as bad we have our share of these monstrosities seemingly every week. As somebody said above, RICO would and can help, not fix, but ultimately its a people problem. No law, initiative, summit, or sum of money will make people better, we can only hope that the people who are committed to living better outnumber those who are committed to violence and hatred.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537 What pains me even more is that the dipsh*t superintendent keeps stating that it's "gun problems"... Really? If that was true, then why aren't we seeing this gun problems spill over to other neighboring cities?

Well clearly these gang members had perfectly legal and registered guns.

The bigger problem is that people will believe those stupid lies.

top topics

join