It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obamacare, 4 years later, an attitudinal approach

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
“If you think of yourselves as helpless and ineffectual, it is certain that you will create a despotic government to be your master. The wise despot, therefore, maintains among his subjects a popular sense that they are helpless and ineffectual.”
-Frank Herbert, The Dosadi Experiment

www.gallup.com...

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA),[1][2] commonly called the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or "Obamacare",[3] is a United States federal statute signed into law by President Barack Obama on March 23, 2010.

en.wikipedia.org...

Well folks? We have more uninsured than before we started.

The "Affordable" Care Act is a lie.

Call it Obamacare, call it Romneycare, deflect, obfuscate all you want.

The legislation signed in 2010 is a failure.

A flop.

But because of the signed legislation;
Bloomberg tried to ban large sodas
Michelle Obama tried to control school lunches.

Government could care less about your healthcare needs. If they cared, the why is there MORE uninsured than LESS after the "Affordable" Care Act went into place?

It's all about control. And the progressives have won.

“In the end more than they wanted freedom, they wanted security. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free.”
-Edward Gibbon (1737-1794)

In some ways, I think Obamacare, or Romneycare (whatever you want to call it) is working just as they planned.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

All I can say is it saved my mom's life .. so while it's a fail through the eyes of many.. my mom literally got coverage she could not get before and is alive because of it... hate it all you want... I am clearly biased...

Keep in mind .. counting the number of covered people is very biased.... lots of people elected not to be covered because they didn't like it.. and I don't know if this accounts for those that are already covered by an employer plan.. no clue .. but I can find tons of stories of people who weren't covered before and would have died... but now are fine.. and my mom is one of those people...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: miniatus

The honest thing is a lot of people CHOSE to be uninsured... I know a lot of those people.. they rather pay the "fine" because they feel healthy even if their employer offered it.. just to save some extra money
edit on 9/20/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Was your mother covered by any insurance prior to Obamacare?

As to your example, if just a number of examples were provisioned enough then we'd all be covered.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: miniatus

The honest thing is a lot of people CHOSE to be uninsured... I know a lot of those people.. they rather pay the "fine" because they feel healthy even if their employer offered it.. just to save some extra money

But Obamacre was all about getting rid of the 45 million uninsured.

At least that's what Obama told me

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   

She had a pre-existing condition... cancer... so she was rejected, especially due to her advanced age... after this kicked in... she was able to be treated far easier and she's now clear.. or "in remission" but she's in much better condition than she has been in in a long time

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: miniatus

But Obamacre was all about getting rid of the 45 million uninsured.

At least that's what Obama told me

It may not have hit the 45 million goal .. but it helped a ton... I'm just saying my mom is an example of that...

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This is from July 10, 2014, which is the latest poll from gallup that I found.

www.gallup.com

The uninsured rate in the U.S. fell 2.2 percentage points to 13.4% in the second quarter of 2014. This is the lowest quarterly average recorded since Gallup and Healthways began tracking the percentage of uninsured Americans in 2008. The previous low point was 14.4% in the third quarter of 2008.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: PrinceOfEarth
This is from July 10, 2014, which is the latest poll from gallup that I found.

www.gallup.com

The uninsured rate in the U.S. fell 2.2 percentage points to 13.4% in the second quarter of 2014. This is the lowest quarterly average recorded since Gallup and Healthways began tracking the percentage of uninsured Americans in 2008. The previous low point was 14.4% in the third quarter of 2008.

I don't doubt it... there's a lot of people CHOOSING not to be insured and electing to pay the tax penalty .. I have a friend who's done the same thing because he thinks he's mister healthy.. he goes to the gym all the time and just thinks he doesn't need it ... so why pay for it ... the tax is cheaper sometimes... that's great... until you need it.. the tax penalty helps those who can't afford it in the first place... so it's actually a good system... those who choose not to use it help those who can't afford it... .. I know a lot of people HATE that idea...

edit on 9/20/2014 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Um. Here is the newer chart...

Gallup - Source

It is lower than in 2008. The rate of uninsured increased dramatically during the economic downturn. There are now more insured people than before the banks imploded...

ETA: Success or failure in the long run? I cannot say. The law is still "young" in that the major implementation happened in January of this year, not four years ago. States with expanded Medicaid are doing the best as far as uninsured rates.

I humbly ask people to remember those who were not allowed to purchase insurance for any price due to pre-existing conditions. I have experienced this post-cancer treatment. For TEN YEARS I was not allowed any personal insurance for cancer treatment and employer insurance would not cover cancer at all. I am grateful I survived.

I also humbly ask people to remember that before the ACA, there was one choice only - own NO property and live in poverty to get Medicaid - OR - be enslaved to a job that provided some coverage (though perhaps not what you needed it most for) - OR - be uninsured. Take my son, with a congenital heart defect, for example. How bright was his future? Not very, under the tyranny of the previous system.

I humbly ask.

[steps out quickly with head covered in case of thrown objects or flames...]

peace,
AB
edit on 20-9-2014 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Why are there any people uninsured?
Isn't it illegal to be uninsured now?
A few percentage points lower seems to be a failure if the goal was to have everyone insured.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Was your mother covered by any insurance prior to Obamacare?

As to your example, if just a number of examples were provisioned enough then we'd all be covered.

c'mon beezer...you know for the vast amount of poor people, ACA has been blocked in what....19 or so states?...all controlled by republicans...and the poorest people are the ones that the republicans are screwing....this is normal, of course...but don't blame Obama for it, he's the one that worked to get those states to comply, only for the republicans to refuse the federal money that would have paid for it....

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
My son figured it out.
When you add in the premium for the insurance along with the deductable well
it's more than he makes! Therefore he sees no reason to have the insurance since he will never get anything out of it.
The affordable care act was to provide us with affordable health CARE not force us into expensive health insurance plans that are next to useless because the healthcare is still unaffordable!

The last three jobs I had I lost because I couldn't physically handle it. I have no income and really can't work at any job that I am qualified to do. So no income no disability just a husband that pays the bills and thus gets to decide where the money goes. He says he can't afford it and more than likely that is true. I'm just here for the ride!

Obamacare did not achieve it's stated goal.
It did not make healthCARE more affordable matter of fact it's made it more expensive!! It just shifted how the money flows and who is helped and who is not along with who the healthcare was taken away from!
And tried to force people (and businesses) who couldn't afford the insurance before buy into a plan somehow while taking the incomes from many people!

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Why are there any people uninsured?
Isn't it illegal to be uninsured now?
A few percentage points lower seems to be a failure if the goal was to have everyone insured.

this was the "compromise" for blue dog democrats, DINO's (democrats in name only) to get the ACA passed in the first place. states were "allowed" to refuse federal money for the program....the real democrats thought, who would be that stupid to refuse federal money to pay for healthcare for the poor people in any state?...even after 3 years of 100% funding, states would still receive 90% of the funding....remember these are the same republicans that jacked up interest rates on student loans, so the US government would make billions in profits off of its own kids getting educated, and, keep them paying off those large loans for years.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx
The ACA is still a failure.
The people that wrote the law couldn't foresee this happening in Republican states?
If they didn't foresee it, they were stupid.
If they did, then the whole exercise was designed to blame Republicans for the inevitable failure, which would be dishonest and uncaring for the uninsured.
Personally, I don't think they were stupid.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I don't believe your story, if only you had some actual details, rather than some broad, vague statement....details like...income?, what state?, what plan?, how much time on research was spent to find the best plan?, would the state allow federal monies to help pay for it? did he contact someone personally for help? etc.......

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: jimmyx
The ACA is still a failure.
The people that wrote the law couldn't foresee this happening in Republican states?
If they didn't foresee it, they were stupid.
If they did, then the whole exercise was designed to blame Republicans for the inevitable failure, which would be dishonest and uncaring for the uninsured.
Personally, I don't think they were stupid.

they thought that republicans would want the poor to have some basic healthcare...that's being human, not stupid...but, to republicans, that would be classified as stupid.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

While I know there are cases where those who could not get insurance have benefited and now have happier healthier lives.

BUT.....
In that number of now insured, there are millions like me who are insured in name only....IINO.....
We are the formerly insureds who now carry ACA but cannot afford to see a doctor.

We were thrown off our plans for one reason or another and now face large premiums and prohibitive deductibles.

As a IINO, I cannot afford any of the medical care I used to have.
My premiums have tripled.
My annual deductible went from $1500 to $6350 and covers NO DRUGS until the deductible is met.

Should I fall gravely ill, I cannot afford the deductible.
Should I fall gravely ill, I'll have to hope it doesn't happen in December....and a brand new deductible rolls out in January.

These millions of IINO are mostly middle class.
Catastrophic health issues will destroy these middle class lives....making them working poor or lower.
Or forcing them to seek out someone like Dr Kevorkian.
And maybe this is what ACA is all about....eroding the middle class and population control.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I think a lower % means more people are getting insurance. It looks like .5% decrease in uninsured people.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

More like we 'CHOSE' to go uninsured because we can't afford it....for me it is a choice of food for my family or insurance for me....not much of a CHOICE......
edit on 20-9-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join