It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help required with 'new product' process

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I have this "product" which is going to be made from thick cardboard with a battery and circuit board attached together with a few bits and pieces of thin wire also attached. This is all going to be in another external cardboard box.

How would I go about getting this made? Does anyone know the process I would need to go through? I have a graphic I have made up of the various parts and how they fit together but I realise that there is a lot more to this process than just that. Any help on this and where to start would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Q

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
generally you have to separate out the production of the component parts, so youd have the cardboard parts cut and constructed by one process and the electrical by another, then have the assembly line combine them to the finished product.

You could use separate manufacturers make the parts and have them shipped to the assembly line, you should consider thermal insulation with electrical parts and flammable cardboard, battery's and power converters or capacitors generate heat if somthing should get too hot or a short occurs you have a fire.

You can get just about anything you can think of cut from cardboard in huge batches and the same with the electrical side of things, battery's can be added last with quality control testing each product.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The first thing you need to do is become an LLC. That's how you cover your butt from lawsuits when some idiot tries to swallow your product then sues you. And don't forget you patent or copyright. Then worry about production.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i dont think cardboard and electric mix.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
i dont think cardboard and electric mix.

Sure they do, have you seen those cardboard electric guitars in the toy section?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
What are you making?

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

I'll tell you right now it's not safe with an electronic assembly enclosed by cardboard.
Consider a UL listed plastic.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thankyou all for your comments. I am having problems with this site at the moment so replies may be sparse. I was hoping someone had done this kind of thing before as i do not know where to start with the process. How do i go about finding a company to make me a sample or prototype. Obviously i dont want to order a huge batch of a thousand if there are still things to iron out.

My product is a simple one with a few leds resistors and things which dont run hot and work off a nine volt battery. Basic flashy lights etc. I dont expect to sell many of them as it is a very niche market but i want to keep costs low so that they can be cheap to buy.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

Perf board

Protective coating spray

Maybe solder perfs into a box- to contain other components within. I think the spray would be a decent thermal protectorate?

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I think I will make up a couple of prototypes with perf/veroboard in a box and see what problems there are. I dont think the product in your second link is going to stop any of the components overheating, which is what was a concern earlier in the thread. As far as I can tell, it is a battery anti-corrosion spray product.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: qmantoo
a reply to: loveguy

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I think I will make up a couple of prototypes with perf/veroboard in a box and see what problems there are. I dont think the product in your second link is going to stop any of the components overheating, which is what was a concern earlier in the thread. As far as I can tell, it is a battery anti-corrosion spray product.

Yeah, Some reason I was thinking of the spray as a water-proofing/element shield, but forgetting thermal resistance as a factor.

Maybe put an inductive resistor as...somehow looping the circuit? Kinda like a pwm is taken from a mosfet? Let the resistor eat the extra heat?

Electricity is cool, I wish I knew more about it.
Good luck in your endeavor.

top topics

join