It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spy. Assassinate. Protect.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Had to hold on to this little bit of info for a few hours...
Y'all have fun with it.

Spy. Assassinate. Protect.
To stay ahead of ruthless enemies, the US needs an agency that doesn’t play nice

By Robert Caruso | SEPTEMBER 18, 2014

www.bostonglobe.com...

This piece will appear in print in Sunday’s Opinion section.

ONCE AGAIN the United States finds itself embroiled in a debate over whether or not to “go to war.” It’s a choice the country shouldn’t have to make, and it wouldn’t with a bigger, more lethal clandestine service like France or Israel has.

While today’s enemies are virtually undetectable until they strike, history offers some lessons on how to fight a resourceful, nameless foe that effortlessly weaves themselves into the fabric of everyday life.

From the Revolutionary War to the Eisenhower administration, Americans successfully executed covert and clandestine actions around the world by empowering select individuals to secure the nation.

edit on Sat Sep 20 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed large quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat Sep 20 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TerrorAlertRed

Good Stuff,

As it would be the Wise response.
Rather than "The Trap" that has been baited.
Thanks for passing that along.

S&F

edit on 19-9-2014 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'm all for clandestine government organizations and them using amoral means to protect our country. However a problem arises when such an organization starts using these same methods against innocent people, especially US citizens. All it takes is one piece of bad intelligence, and you have violated someone's Constitutional rights, or have even taken their life, with absolutely no justification. It is a very slippery slope.

And how much should we trust such an organization to do the right thing? It would be a whole lot easier to protect the country, theoretically, if you know every single thing every single person is doing, but is that justification for violating the rights of the populace? The government is supposed to protect and ensure our rights, therefore protecting us by violating our rights is illogical.

And the issues are inseparable. You cannot give such organizations this type of power and then say that they will only use it against non-US citizens, or only against those who are a threat to our country. What constitutes a threat to the nation? Does speaking out against the government justify violating someone's rights? There are many questions that should be asked. We have already seen what happens with the government's "good intentions" for protecting us. If protecting us means violating the rights of innocent people, then I cannot support such things. And there is virtually no way to ensure that every single act these groups perpetrate is for the benefit of the country, or is against a true enemy of the US.
edit on 9/19/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
LOL

We don't need anything "new". We already have what we need. We just hire some cartel or arm some rebels to get our dirty work done.

Just another excuse for funding/expanded powers. They already do whatever they want.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TerrorAlertRed

America must rule the world or else someone els will rule them
America must control everyone else or someone else will control them
America must kill others or otherwise others will kill them
America must invade other countries or otherwise other countries will invade them
America must rule their own citizens otherwise their citizens will rule them

I think there's a word for this kind of fear

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
seriously,, the biggest pile of,,whaaa, waaa were the Cia and we don't know were they are,,,
ie:

today’s enemies are virtually undetectable

HERE'S A CLUE,,

"In the past 48 hours, they have taken 60 villages,
40 on Friday alone," said Observatory director Rami Abdel Rahman,
referring to the operation around Ain al-Arab, known to the Kurds as Kobane."

ASK THE observatory director,,THEY SEEM TOO KNOW!

Or maybe the alpabet agencies might want too look up,, OPERATION Kobane.

YA ITS A on going military option,,,,by our allies,,might want to check with them,, u know if the enemies are virtually undetectabl,, maybe just get a good map,, and follow the line of villages,,

sweet Jesus is thier actuall commander anywhere ?? or is that just a memory in the mist of history,,??

The CIA doesn’t have the size or the authority to do some of the things we can do,”

how about doing your mandated job better,, u know collect reliable usefull information that can be used now,,not couple of weeks too late??

then we can see about more responsibilty,, ohh i forgot , thats THE OLD WAY.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

sorry i couldn't resist,,

finding good intelligence,,,,is so hard too do in this day and age,,,

sigh,,,

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Who exactly is pushing for this new agency? Who is pushing for more spending on intelligence? The ones who would directly profit from it, that's who. Here's one example linky

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I guess the old intimidate, infiltrate, and exterminate that has been used over and over again ain't working so well with the new dreamed up threats or ISIS ? Instead of a new cabinet how about some serious house cleaning for all the inept B.S. they have been part of.. Benghazi; start there and work back and forth until you reach 9/11 and today's date.. No lateral transfers, no promotions just, "there is the door and don't come back".

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Who has control...
Who wants control...
Who keeps control...
Who gets control...
...of the Machine they've build over the years...

Or maybe I should say What instead of Who, or maybe What and Who.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

A Webbed Trap you can't get out of once you're in...

I'll shut up now.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It is also incredibly immoral to empower any clandestine military or intelligence group to violate the human rights of ANYBODY, not just American citizens.

Sorry to break it to people, but you cannot simultaneously claim to believe in "American values" such as inalienable rights that are "god-derived" and that no government can take away, and also believe that these rights only extend to America citizens.

This is where I see sooooo many Americans just lose it and show how deep (not) they really understand the very values they claim to support and be propagating.

If someone really understands the philosophy and history of universal human rights, including the ones in our Constitution, they cannot support our government violating them anywhere in the world. This includes illegal invasions, assassinations, coups of unfriendly regimes, etc.

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
I'm all for clandestine government organizations and them using amoral means to protect our country. However a problem arises when such an organization starts using these same methods against innocent people, especially US citizens. All it takes is one piece of bad intelligence, and you have violated someone's Constitutional rights, or have even taken their life, with absolutely no justification. It is a very slippery slope.

And how much should we trust such an organization to do the right thing? It would be a whole lot easier to protect the country, theoretically, if you know every single thing every single person is doing, but is that justification for violating the rights of the populace? The government is supposed to protect and ensure our rights, therefore protecting us by violating our rights is illogical.

And the issues are inseparable. You cannot give such organizations this type of power and then say that they will only use it against non-US citizens, or only against those who are a threat to our country. What constitutes a threat to the nation? Does speaking out against the government justify violating someone's rights? There are many questions that should be asked. We have already seen what happens with the government's "good intentions" for protecting us. If protecting us means violating the rights of innocent people, then I cannot support such things. And there is virtually no way to ensure that every single act these groups perpetrate is for the benefit of the country, or is against a true enemy of the US.

edit on 20-9-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

YES THAT is WHY they were SECRET. I don't approve and they didn't ask ME first aka WE AREN'T OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS, THAT is how we have and speak of American VALUES. Count your blessings WE DO. We are coming to an end of this ONE WAY or another.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Frankly, I'm all for a super secret squad of assassins to take care of the US' little problems. I'm sure there is already such a thing, especially in other countries. I'm dead certain Russia has such a thing, and likely Israel.

The human animal is just that, an animal. Sometimes it takes an animal(s) to solve an animal(s) problem.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce
Frankly, I'm all for a super secret squad of assassins to take care of the US' little problems. I'm sure there is already such a thing, especially in other countries. I'm dead certain Russia has such a thing, and likely Israel.

The human animal is just that, an animal. Sometimes it takes an animal(s) to solve an animal(s) problem.

Such squads are anti-American values and frankly, don't belong in our menu of options.

The question that is central is: do you truly believe in the humanistic and enlightenment values that the "founding fathers" enshrined in the Bill of Rights and so on, or not? If you truly believe what they did, that such rights are universal and extend to all humans, then you can't support the violation of non-US citizens' human rights, including taking away due process and abject assassination. That includes our enemies.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I live in the real world.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spruce

I live in the real world.

So do I.

There is something in the real world called international law, which we have signed on to. Sorry to break it to ya that it's "real."

And everything goes both ways. If you, like many Americans, think that we can send death squads to assassinate threats, then so then too do our enemies have that right.

If we have the right to violate international law and invade or fund civil wars in other countries, then so too do other countries.

Can't have it both ways.

posted on Sep, 20 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Do you hear me arguing?

top topics

join